News Article: Dellow: Jets' record is great but long-term success requires better shot generation

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
...oooh, that's a bit harsh (and unexpected from you, AC).

Please share what you think explains the dramatic reduction in shot attempts by Scheifele. This season. Did he somehow turn into Burmistrov this season?

The argument isn't so much about whether his style will yield sustainable positive results, but more about what's driving it and to what extent it is system driven.
1zawxy.jpg

Reactions: Jimby and Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
...oooh, that's a bit harsh (and unexpected from you, AC).

Please share what you think explains the dramatic reduction in shot attempts by Scheifele. This season. Did he somehow turn into Burmistrov this season?

The argument isn't so much about whether his style will yield sustainable positive results, but more about what's driving it and to what extent it is system driven.
I've detailed it in many places already, I believe it's more system driven than coming from a style driven, selective shot approach, although his SH% is definitely a factor is driving his lower Corsi. I'm not really concerned with Corsi at all anyway, the raw numbers are not what is driving my concern.

In a nutshell I think they rely on collapsing too much in their own end and don't switch to an overload enough when the opportunity arises, this could very much be a product of Maurice not wanting to over complicate things for an inexperienced defensive team, but it is definitely a factor in hurting their transition game. Their breakouts are simply horrible, most of them don't seem to be on the same page on when and where to move the puck based on the situation, I don't see a collective understanding of roles on positioning, again could be the product of a young team. If their breakouts and transition game is compromised, their zone entries are compromised and there is no doubt the Jets have been playing far more of a dump and chase game than most would agree they should. Combined with the fact they have been relying more on a 1-2-2, as opposed to the 2-1-2 they have run more in the past. A lot of this could very well have to do with how much they have been playing with the lead but it is a factor.

They are relying mainly on a high SH% and a high SV%, some see this as a bit of a sustainability problem, others don't. Time will tell, but at the end of the day I think the talent on this team is capable of playing a quicker, more up and down game. They have shown it a few times this year, I hope it's something that they are continually working towards and evolving into, I don't dismiss that it could be. My feelings on Maurice leave me wondering whether he's the right guy to take them to that level however.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've detailed it in many places already, I believe it's more system driven than coming from a style driven, selective shot approach, although his SH% is definitely a factor is driving his lower Corsi. I'm not really concerned with Corsi at all anyway, the raw numbers are not what is driving my concern.

In a nutshell I think they rely on collapsing too much in their own end and don't switch to an overload enough when the opportunity arises, this could very much be a product of Maurice not wanting to over complicate things for an inexperienced defensive team, but it is definitely a factor in hurting their transition game. Their breakouts are simply horrible, most of them don't seem to be on the same page on when and where to move the puck based on the situation, I don't see a collective understanding of roles on positioning, again could be the product of a young team. If their breakouts and transition game is compromised, their zone entries are compromised and there is no doubt the Jets have been playing far more of a dump and chase game than most would agree they should. Combined with the fact they have been relying more on a 1-2-2, as opposed to the 2-1-2 they have run more in the past. A lot of this could very well have to do with how much they have been playing with the lead but it is a factor.

They are relying mainly on a high SH% and a high SV%, some see this as a bit of a sustainability problem, others don't. Time will tell, but at the end of the day I think the talent on this team is capable of playing a quicker, more up and down game. They have shown it a few times this year, I hope it's something that they are continually working towards and evolving into, I don't dismiss that it could be. My feelings on Maurice leave me wondering whether he's the right guy to take them to that level however.
I like the analysis. I'm wondering why these system level issues don't seem to be affecting some of the other forwards as much (e.g. Laine, Ehlers). Maybe it's early. Usage too, probably.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I like the analysis. I'm wondering why these system level issues don't seem to be affecting some of the other forwards as much (e.g. Laine, Ehlers). Maybe it's early. Usage too, probably.
It's early but I think usage is more than likely the biggest contributing factor. Big minutes against top lines, lots of DZS.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Percentage of on the fly shifts where the defender allows more than one shot attempt against.
Blue line is league average.

Posted this on a different thread. This all started with an article about how bad Hamonic has been in this stat the last two seasons. His theory about Hamonic is that the opponent is allowed easy zone entries in these situations. So think of this as which D are likely better at denying entry. Buff being the best and Chiarot being horribad

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
How can this be right based on how many people say Buff is horribad at everything?

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
What's driving it is they willingly give up possession of the puck way more than they should. They give away the puck on line changes WAY more than they need to. They chip the puck into the corner WAY more than they should be. COrner battles!

Ehlers seems to be the only player capable or maybe renegade enough to not throw away the puck on a line change every single time.

how many times have we seen Trouba carry the puck through NZ and set up a scoring chance (huge part of his game) this season? my count would be around 2

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad