Defensemen in the '04 draft(again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

st_roland

I wanted to get the opinion of some of the very informed posters around here(x-sharkie, moosefan, jasonmacisaac, leafaholix, etc.) as to their top 15 defensemen in the upcoming draft and where they see them being drafted. I'm praying that the caps get ovechkin, and are able to draft 3 good defensemen with the rest of their low 1st round, high 2nd round pick(their own is the only one I see them grabbing a "name" defenseman with). The ideal situation for their first four pick for me would be ovechkin, green, lepisto, fransson. That would be awesome. But the bruins would have to tank, the caps would have to tank, and the red wings would have to lose a few down the strech.

Also, I have a lot of interest in Thomas Pock. Whats the story on him? Can he be signed to a contract after the College season or does he have to be drafted? I know hes got a lot of offensive skill, but how is his defensive awareness?

The Austrian

st_roland said:
Also, I have a lot of interest in Thomas Pock. Whats the story on him? Can he be signed to a contract after the College season or does he have to be drafted? I know hes got a lot of offensive skill, but how is his defensive awareness?

thomas pock will be a free agent. because he is older than 21. he told that a good friend of mine.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Here would be my Top 15 as of right now (including Wes O Neill)

1. Cam Barker
2. Mike Green
3. Wes O Neill
4. AJ Thelen
5. Ladislav Smid
6. Boris Valabik
7. Johan Fransson
8. Oscar Hedman
9. Jeff Schultz
10. Sami Lepisto
11. Michael Funk
12. Jonathan Siglet
13. Roman Tesliuk
14. Andrej Meszaros
15. Mark Fistric

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
The Austrian said:
thomas pock will be a free agent. because he is older than 21. he told that a good friend of mine.

man

let the bidding war begin when umass' season ends...

tell your buddy to tell Pock to sign with Minnesota btw...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Brock said:
Here would be my Top 15 as of right now (including Wes O Neill)

1. Cam Barker
2. Mike Green
3. Wes O Neill
4. AJ Thelen
5. Ladislav Smid
6. Boris Valabik
7. Johan Fransson
8. Oscar Hedman
9. Jeff Schultz
10. Sami Lepisto
11. Michael Funk
12. Jonathan Siglet
13. Roman Tesliuk
14. Andrej Meszaros
15. Mark Fistric

I'll give it a whirl

1. Barker
2. Green
3. Fransson
4. Thelen
5. Schultz
6. Valibik
7. Klubertanz
8. O'Neil
9. Hedman
10. Lepisto
11. Smid
12. Borer (NCAA, st cloud st)
13. Tesliuk
14. Lyamin
15. Andy Rogers
16. Jordan Smith

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I take it one rates Meszaros very high because they have not seen him play.

X-SHARKIE

Wow .... Absolutly no love for the Russian Kirill Lyamin. Who ever nabs this guy in the late 1st round well have a steal on there hands. You heard it here first.
This guy moves great, he's big, he's physical, has a nasty edge to him, moves the puck very well with a great transition game, Very good hands, He has it all. Just needs to polish things out and devolope his game.

leafaholix*

My top 15...

1. Cam Barker (Medicine Hat)
2. Mike Green (Saskatoon)
3. Johan Fransson (Lulea)
4. Boris Valabik (Kitchener)
5. Wes O'Neill (Notre Dame)
6. Roman Tesliuk (Kamloops)
7. A.J. Thelen (Michigan State)
8. Ladislav Smid (Liberec)
9. Andrej Meszaros (Trencin)
10. Alexander Tang (Frolunda)
11. Anton Belov (HC CKSA Moscow)
12. Kirill Lyamin (HC CKSA Moscow)
13. Oscar Hedman (Modo)
14. Kyle Wharton (Ottawa)
15. Sami Lepisto (Jokerit)

st_roland

It seems like we'll have a pretty strong crop of defensemen in this draft. Or is that just me?

st_roland

Fighter said:
This is a good year, but the top three guys of last year are all better than Barker.

Yeah, but all 3 of those guys are possible all-star no.1 d-men. To have 3 guys like that in 1 year is astounding. I wish the caps had gotten one :cry: Especially Suter! Lucky Nashville.

Batkorny

Feb 6, 2004
Here are some notable finns 2004 & 2005...

Defenders:
Leppänen Erkka, JYP A
Regular season:36 2 7 9
Playoffs:8 4 0 4
Leppänen will play in the U18 WC

Teemu Laakso HIFK A
Regular season: 41 3 6 9
Playoffs:3 0 1 1

Salmela Anssi, Tappara A
Regular season : 27 10 9 19
Playoffs : 5 2 0 2 0
Salmela played U20 WC in finland, plays alot in the SR.

Lepistö Sami, Jokerit 53 3 4 7
Lepistö played U20 WC in finland, plays in the SR.

Kuukka Mikko 2003-2004 WHL Season Red Deer Rebels 72 4 12 16

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
my top 5 would be:

1. Cam Barker
2. Wes O Neill
3. AJ Thelen
4. Mike Green
5. Ladislav Smid

I think smid is better than this but his recent acts at the World Juniors would cause him to fall IMO.

leafaholix*

moosefan said:
I think smid is better than this but his recent acts at the World Juniors would cause him to fall IMO.
That's exactly why he's #8 on my list.

A lot of talent, but his act was disgusting.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
1.) Cam Barker - The best overall skills/potential for any of the defensmen in the draft. The thing that impresses me the most is his PK'ing skills.

2.) Mike Green - The best defensmen at the prospect game by far. He displayed his speed, offensive instincts and most of all his physical play. He is the total package and whatever team picks him will have a Jovo type jem.

3.) AJ Thelen - I can not for the life of myself understand why there is no hype surrounding this kid, it must be becasue of the chance he will no opt into the draft. This kid is huge, physical, ripping up the NCAA ranks with his all round game. His favorite player is Pronger.....damn the similarities are scary.

4.) Boris Valabik - He has Chara potential, this guy is huge and strong, he has a powerfull shot proven at the prospect game. I think his lateral movment and skating have to improve but he is allready a force and has many raw characteristics.

5.) Wes O'Neill - I can tell you I am not overly impressed with the season ONeill has had, to me he looks like he has the size, is physical enough but the offense just isn't there. This will drop his stock alot in the draft but could see a team desperate for size ,like Montreal was for Komisarek, drafting him.

6.) Ladislav Smid - I honestly can't say I seen him much, I seen him play two games at the WJC, both vs Canada. It was hard to gauge a defensmen who's team was totaly dominated but he seemed to be fairly physical and had a good shot. He was used on the PP a bit so I was impressed with his allround game.

7.) Michal Sersen - The best QMJHL defensmen I have seen for an upcomming draft in a long time. Since I am able to see him much more then most and this guy is amazing defenivly, I thought he was the 2nd or 3rd best defensemen at the prospects game even with the Schremp blemish. He is positioned perfectly, uses his stick well and has a good low shot.

8.) Jeff Schultz - I wish I could say I like him but I don't. He has lots of size but I'm not to sure how much he uses it. He needs to play tougher and hit more. His PIM are far too low for the WHL and the size he has. 33 PIM in 72 games won't cut it.

9.) Sami Lepisto - At 6 feet Lepisto has a long path ahead of him, He has good offensive skills but he will have to be able to translate that offense to the North American level. He has really good speed, nice passing abilities but isn't overly physical. As you can see by now I am not a fan of European defensmen.

10.) Johan Fransson - He isn't putting up good stats for an average sized defensmen in the SEL which doesn't boast well for me. He has good speed, a good head on his shoulders but at that size will need to put up alot more points to be anywhere higher on my list.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fighter said:
This is a good year, but the top three guys of last year are all better than Barker.
The hell they are, Barker is the total package. He has speed and offensive abilities Phaneuf and Suter could only dream about. Barker is going to be the next Niedermayer.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I seem to recall Redline Report indicating that Pock would have to be drafted because he was European (despite being overage and playing NCAA hockey).

X-SHARKIE

Sorry didnt finish...heres my take..
1. Cam Barker: He’s a very big and talented defenseman. Some say his stock has dropped, I don’t see it. He’s still in the top 5, I have him ranked 4th in the hole draft. No way well a team like the Blue Jackets pass this player up. He’s a wonderful skater, he has a great shot, he passes the puck well. Offensivly he is special, defensivly he neds to work on some things like positioning and awareness. Sergei Gonchar sort of player.
2. A.J. Thelen: he’s my #2 defensman in the draft, although he might not even opt in. I’m completely sold on this guy. He’s a very young freshman. He started off very well and he has improved threw the season. He has very good size. 6-3 220 was the listing on FSN coverage of him this past weekend. Great skater for his size much like Barker. Offensivly he’s very impressive, and he’s already better defensivly then Cam is. This kid really goes for it and joins the rush more often then not. He likes to shoot the puck, and he shoots very well. Has a wrist shot that reminds me of Brad Stuart. Huge offensive upside, he also likes to play physical. He’s a nasty player as well. He’s the real deal. I have seen enough of him to say he well be better then Cam Barker. But Barker has proven more in there young careers. Thelen has to be thought of as a top 10 prospect in the 2004 draft.
3. Mike Green: When I watch Mike Green I feal like I’m watching Scott Hannan all over again. Witch is no bad thing, plus he’s more physical and his offensive tools are already more well rounded. He doesn’t have the size that other defenders in the draft have but he’s not small, expecially if he bulks up. He doesn’t look small in the WHL for Calgary…but when he’s out there with NHL talent it well be more noticible. It’s not all size though I know. Mike Green is a very smart player, with exceptional mobility. He skates very well, and is very tough to knock of his feet. I love the way he battles in the corners and in front. Almost impossible to beat 1-1. He’ll make a great #2-#3 defensman someday. Not a cornerstone player though, he’s a safe pick.
4. Wes O’Neil: He’s getting a bad rap on here it appears. His stock has fallen in my eyes. I agree. I’ve been watching Wes since his days in Green Bay. His offensive game has still not devoloped. He reminds me a lot of Mike Rathje. He’s a huge,smart defensman who doesn’t play very physical in a nasty way. But he simply shuts down oppositions. He well be a guy you put out against oppositions best forwards. He skates very well for a man his size. He’s also very smart, with a great transition game. Safe pick but your not shooting for the moon on this player.
5. Ladislav Smid: This is the part in the draft were teams well take there man, depending on what kind of player there looking for. In this case, I like Smid a lot. His stock has also taken a hit. But he just has to much intangibles to ignore. He’s a huge defensman who can skate like the wind and do damnage with the puck. Amazing PP QB already at this age. Very smart with the puck, very impressive amount of poise. He’s not very strong but he’ll get there and he already likes to hit. He’s a defensman who starts the rush often times on his own. He always impresses me how he can simply just skate the puck end to end with his great skating and stickhandling. He has better hands then most forwards. He’s got a solid shot and really moves the puck well.
6. Boris Valabik: Moose or somone else hit it on the dot. He has Zdeno Chara like potential, but he’s a safer pick at the time then Z was back in 96. Bulking up well help him a lot, and could reach dominate status. 6-6 defensman don’t grow on trees, and the scouts well be oozing over this player. Expect him not to make it past 25 IMO. Excelent positioning and he honestly can move pretty well for his size. He’s a very smart player. I love his nasty approach to the game. He’s pretty mean out there, and if you hit him once he takes your number down…believe me. He’s a giant out there, two guys can sandwich him and he’ll still be standing. Great balance. Not much offensive upside here, his hands are nothing to write home about, and he doesn’t seem interested in the offensive game. But he is very strong and his shot can take off like a rocket at times.
7. Kirill Lyamin: Mabey I keep catching him on good days, but how Lyamin is not listed as 1st round selection surprises me. Here is your man in the 2nd round Washington if he makes it. Kirill is big, nasty, skilled. Standing 6-3 200 pounds. Solid skating ability, But he great mobility. He is one of the most skilled players at doing the poke check correctly. He also plays his man very tough one on one. Likes to hit, and hits hard. He is comfortable with the puck and does not make bad decisions. He has a wicked shot from the point as well. Safe pick, with good upside.
8. Andrej Meszaros: Impressed me this year at the U20. Very talented Slovak, solid size at 6-2 187. Reminds me of Christian Ehrhoff. This kid has great skating ability and is if he sees in opening. He triess to do it himself. Sometimes he gets himself in trouble with doing this though. Very good with the puck. He has great passes, usually on tape to tape and hard. Not a hard shot, but accurate. Lacks all compass mobility. Needs to work on that before the jump to the NHL game. To much work needed for his game to his game to be considered a high draft pick. Give him time to devolope and he’ll be a special player though.
9. Johan Fransson: This player needs to get stronger. He has so much talent though. He has solid skating ability. Such a smooth skater and he’s very quick. Creative with the puck. He makes things happen out there. Defensivly needs to work on some things. His game is coming around very nicely. I last saw him in late January and he has impressed. His defensive game is coming around, he seems to be a leader out there. He has very good offensive game, and he works hard. He has it all to devolope into a very solid defensive player, with great offensive ability.
9. Sami Lepisto: another defensman with very impressive creativity and offensive game. Mature player. Amazing shot.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
My top 15...

3. Johan Fransson (Lulea)
4. Boris Valabik (Kitchener)
5. Wes O'Neill (Notre Dame)
6. Roman Tesliuk (Kamloops)
7. A.J. Thelen (Michigan State)
8. Ladislav Smid (Liberec)
9. Andrej Meszaros (Trencin)
10. Alexander Tang (Frolunda)
11. Anton Belov (HC CKSA Moscow)
12. Kirill Lyamin (HC CKSA Moscow)
13. Oscar Hedman (Modo)
14. Kyle Wharton (Ottawa)
15. Sami Lepisto (Jokerit)

No Jeff Schultz in the top-15?

Put down the crack pipe, please...

leafaholix*

Stock Rocks said:
No Jeff Schultz in the top-15?

Put down the crack pipe, please...
It's my top 15... and I really haven't seen much of Schultz.

I'm also not a fan of the lanky defensemen.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
tomd said:
I seem to recall Redline Report indicating that Pock would have to be drafted because he was European (despite being overage and playing NCAA hockey).

how does that work?

Peter Sejna was in the same boat and he signed with St. Louis...

leafaholix*

DeuceUNO said:
how does that work?

Peter Sejna was in the same boat and he signed with St. Louis...
Sejna may have been overlooked in the draft.

I'm not sure if Pock has declared eligible for the NHL draft yet (in the past).

Duff88

May 7, 2002
3. Wes O'Neill (Notre Dame)
4. A.J. Thelen (Michigan State)
5. Oscar Hedman (Modo)
6. Johan Fransson (Lulea)
7. Kirill Lyamin (CSKA)
8. Boris Valabik (Kitchener)
9. Ladislav Smid (Liberec)
10. Michal Sersen (Rimouski)
11. Andrej Meszaros (Trencin)
12. Sami Lepisto (Helsinki)
13. Roman Tesliuk (Kamloops)
14. Mark Fistric (Vancouver)
15. Jordan Smith (Sault Ste. Marie)

H.M. Shawn Mole, Kevin Schaeffer, Steve Birnstill, Mike Lundin, Casey Borer, Jonathan Sigalet, Jeff Shultz, Michael Funk, Andy Rogers, Mitch Maunu, Richard Demén-Willaume, Emil Axelsson, Anton Belov & Dmitri Vorobiev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad