Defense

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
You know sometimes an average player who is trying hard can be a key spoke in the wheel. Irwin, in his own way, has been a remarkable player as a 3rd pair guy. Talk about stepping up and doing your part as a teammate in the face of a key need, this guy has been there. Who knew he would be so effective? Average, limited skill but for his set of games thus far he's been a key component.

Especially considering he could barely crack an NHL roster last year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think Irwin has been a fantastic find for the third pair and has filled in admirably, but I stop short of some of the gushing that Stu does. Particularly when he spent all that time paired with Josi, it was clear that he was in over his head.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Didn't we just last year call Ekholm, a poor man's Josi? I mean last year they played similar styles. Maybe this is the reason that Ekholm has struggled with Subban since both are similar in that regard, much like Josi/Subban are which caused the switch to begin with. Irwin has looked pretty good in pretty much any pairing he has been on. With Weber (early in the season), Josi (when Ellis was out), and now with Ekholm.

Ekholm was our best defensive player for a long stretch last year, especially when Weber decided that he'd clone himself at 50% for the playoffs.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I agree with all of this, though I'd maybe be a bit harder on Ekholm's positioning and hockey IQ. I especially agree that Ellis has stepped up in a huge way all around. Maybe our most improved player, outside of Arvidsson.

I agree with this completely.

The more I watch the more I think we keep all four defenseman in the expansion drive and not attempt a trade. Ellis is making himself indispensable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad