Pre-Game Talk: Decisions Decisions Decisions v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
You don t think he would be motivated? The guy would go through a wall for this team. He bleeds orange and blue besides he can’t be any worse than what most of the bottom 6 brought this playoffs
Do you really think that playing a player just so he can get "the final cap as an Oilers" inspires confidence?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For the sake of accountability, coach needs to sit Perry, Foegele and McLeod. This would tell the team that playing time is earned…no entitlement. Also, it shows that the coaching staff is stepping up and doing their share to help the team any way possible.
Doing nothing = expect the same performances and results.
This lineup needs more energy, bite, and push….then we can think about scoring and winning.
I keep defending Mcleod because people jsut aren't spotting the contributions he;s making, even in this series. he now has 4 passes to slot including last night that nobody has cashed on in this series. he uses his pace to such effect to get pucks out. Several times in series he's been the one to skate it out or seperate and get space to advance puck out or get it up ice. he's first to forecheck, he's tirless, he's our best pk forward along with Nuge.

There would be no reason to sit McLeod and no coach should. If KK ends up doing it he's lost the plot. You need all kinds of contributions. Mcleod is making his.

Foegele kind of woke up yesterday in game 5 but I've entirely lost patience for a guy that chronically sleep walsk through playoffs. Unlike McLeod Foegele is not making great contribution defensively and is responsible for a couple GA including a brutal giveaway that should staple a nothing player to the bench.

The pace of Holloway and McLeod is absolutely required on this team. Pts notwithstanding these guys are playing well and pressuring well.

Do you really think that playing a player just so he can get "the final cap as an Oilers" inspires confidence?
How about playing a player that would be the most creative player in our bottomsix and was almost every time we played him. Playing Sam Gagner wouldn't be a sympathy play. he ought to be subbing in once in awhile. Gagner at age will give you 5 solid games in a row and can play anywhere. His pts/60mins and skill is still evident any time he plays.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I keep defending Mcleod because people jsut aren't spotting the contributions he;s making, even in this series. he now has 4 passes to slot including last night that nobody has cashed on in this series. he uses his pace to such effect to get pucks out. Several times in series he's been the one to skate it out or seperate and get space to advance puck out or get it up ice. he's first to forecheck, he's tirless, he's our best pk forward along with Nuge.

There would be no reason to sit McLeod and no coach should. If KK ends up doing it he's lost the plot. You need all kinds of contributions. Mcleod is making his.

Foegele kind of woke up yesterday in game 5 but I've entirely lost patience for a guy that chronically sleep walsk through playoffs. Unlike McLeod Foegele is not making great contribution defensively and is responsible for a couple GA including a brutal giveaway that should staple a nothing player to the bench.

The pace of Holloway and McLeod is absolutely required on this team. Pts notwithstanding these guys are playing well and pressuring well.
McLeods pace leads to absolutely nothing though. He is absolutely horrid offensively.
3-6-9 -8 42 playoff games. Thats a good sample size of him bring a good 4th liner at best.

Maybe keep him if you can find a 3c to push him down. His offensive contribution is acceptable on the 4th line.

Reactions: Vagabond

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

How about playing a player that would be the most creative player in our bottomsix and was almost every time we played him. Playing Sam Gagner wouldn't be a sympathy play. he ought to be subbing in once in awhile. Gagner at age will give you 5 solid games in a row and can play anywhere. His pts/60mins and skill is still evident any time he plays.
For sure there's no way I sit McLeod. I'd be curious what his most common linemates were. If one major one was Perry that would make a lot of sense. Move McLeod to wing and let Carrick be center. Or if Henrique is back that opens options. Maybe he'd start on that line as center or maybe you drop Nuge there

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
For sure there's no way I sit McLeod. I'd be curious what his most common linemates were. If one major one was Perry that would make a lot of sense. Move McLeod to wing and let Carrick be center. Or if Henrique is back that opens options. Maybe he'd start on that line as center or maybe you drop Nuge there
Yeah at the very least the time at pretending McLeod is a center should be done.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
McLeods pace leads to absolutely nothing though. He is absolutely horrid offensively.
3-6-9 -8 42 playoff games. Thats a good sample size of him bring a good 4th liner at best.

Maybe keep him if you can find a 3c to push him down. His offensive contribution is acceptable on the 4th line.

Some players just don't have the playoff gene. Its obvious in star players like Marner and Pettersson, but when you watch the Finals every year you see 2 teams that don't have any players that are missing it. You have zero chance when your goalie doesn't have it. We have too many players that don't. RNH, McLeod, Foegele, Ceci, maybe Nurse. Too many important players.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
When the player is Sam Fn Gagner yes I do. I remember a time where all of our hopes rested on a young Samwise. He suffered through pretty much the Entire DOD. Just weeks before he was set to finally play his first playoff game for the oilers 13 years after he was drafted by them. He was traded. We owe that fn man a playoff game and you can’t say anything to dis way me from that!

Last edited:
Reactions: barry halls

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

He has 4 passes to slot? Slot is where a center ought to be, if your not a wuss anyway.
He’s first to forcheck? This is false, forcheck involves taking the man, see Kane on game 4 winner, McLeod never does this.
He skates the puck out? At first sign of any contact it’s hot grenade time, are you kidding?
He’s tireless? Sure, if you’re just gonna skate around and make no contact it takes little effort.

Reactions: TKB21 and Vagabond

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
This would be far more than you're saying, he can score, he will hit, he will fight if he has to and he will give a lot more than any of the bottom feeders have or will. Sam would provide a spark to his team and the fans, not playing him is the worst move tomorrow

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I also think the Oilers are going to lose Drai next season and you simply can't blame him. He's been such a warrior but the guy wants to win so bad. Man would I love to see him lift the cup! Obviously wish we could here but that's not looking great. Love this guy, he's what a playoff player is all about!

Reactions: Vagabond

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I also think the Oilers are going to lose Drai next season and you simply can't blame him. He's been such a warrior but the guy wants to win so bad. Man would I love to see him lift the cup! Obviously wish we could here but that's not looking great. Love this guy, he's what a playoff player is all about!
If we come back se and somehow make the finals he re signs IMO. If we wilt tomorrow and bow out he is probably asking to be traded this summer. Or maybe Connor is his ride or die and it becomes a mutual decision that they both re sign or both request a trade. Really none of us know and bs suggestions like he’s going to SJ because of a German owner are just stupid

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
This would be far more than you're saying, he can score, he will hit, he will fight if he has to and he will give a lot more than any of the bottom feeders have or will. Sam would provide a spark to his team and the fans, not playing him is the worst move tomorrow

It must be a mirracle that no team claimed him from waivers. There should had been 31 interested teams.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sam, and he was strong in few games.... But he is also too slow for Vancouver and doesn't kill penalties. And while he throws a hit or two, he is not hitting hard.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
It must be a mirracle that no team claimed him from waivers. There should had been 31 interested teams.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sam, and he was strong in few games.... But he is also too slow for Vancouver and doesn't kill penalties. And while he throws a hit or two, he is not hitting hard.
And that's how you lose a playoff series, you stick with the guys doing jack shit. You don't know that he won't come in and score a goal and make a difference. You do know what Perry and Brown are bringing. Pretty sure someone else can kill a few penalties since there's a pile of passengers.

Sam wouldn't give many shits about playing an NHL game for any other team. You can't tell me he won't make a difference until I see it with my own eyes. Kind of like everyone that said, Pickard wouldn't be better than Skinner. Talk is cheap, show us so we can see.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sometimes you guys man. ;)

We have two forward young players in the lineup. Lets hound them all day and get rid of them because oilers, watch them develop in prime like so many of our past youth that have had long careers elsehere. but meanwhile lets have several vets that can't play or do anything in the lineup every night and stick with them which serves zero purpose either now, or going forward.

We're a tired slow team and people want rid of Mcleod asap because he doesn't do the things he wasn't meant to do. Several other posters here with glee got rid of Kostin, "who was worth nothing" and now he's the type of player we need in the lineup. Well I was saying that when the team was determining they couldn't pay the guy and they wanted to raid the NHL senior citizen home instead.;)

Connor Brown bargain, Corey Perry travesty.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And that's how you lose a playoff series, you stick with the guys doing jack shit. You don't know that he won't come in and score a goal and make a difference. You do know what Perry and Brown are bringing. Pretty sure someone else can kill a few penalties since there's a pile of passengers.

Sam wouldn't give many shits about playing an NHL game for any other team. You can't tell me he won't make a difference until I see it with my own eyes. Kind of like everyone that said, Pickard wouldn't be better than Skinner. Talk is cheap, show us so we can see.
Sam might even have a burr in his saddle about how the Canucks parked his career in the minors and lied about how they were going to use him. Whoops Oilers did that too....

Reactions: elmeroil

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

We have two forward young players in the lineup. Lets hound them all day and get rid of them because oilers, watch them develop in prime like so many of our past youth that have had long careers elsehere. but meanwhile lets have several vets that can't play or do anything in the lineup every night and stick with them which serves zero purpose either now, or going forward.

We're a tired slow team and people want rid of Mcleod asap because he doesn't do the things he wasn't meant to do. Several other posters here with glee got rid of Kostin, "who was worth nothing" and now he's the type of player we need in the lineup. Well I was saying that when the team was determining they couldn't pay the guy and they wanted to raid the NHL senior citizen home instead.;)

I think we're just seeing a guy in McLeod that has 0 points and is scared of physicality. Guys who want to win elevate and do things out their comfort zone. I don't want Perry or Brown in there either but McLeod doesn't seem to have any fire for the playoffs.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

The problem with McLeod is his perimeter play and refusing to dig in the dirty areas. Don't get me wrong, he's good at the defensive end of the puck. He knows how to use his stick effectively to negate the opponents when he's on the ice. But the fact that the guy can skate extremely well and also being 6'3 200+ pounds but not using it to his effectiveness is why he's frustrating to watch offensively. I'm not demanding or expecting McLeod to go all crazy and smash somebody across the boards, but he needs to have more tenacity and bite to his game. Going pointless as a 3rd line C is inexcusable for him.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

I'm not saying stick with the guys doing kack shit.... Changes are sometimes needed.
But when it comes to win or go home, "lets play guy just to give him a last cap" is a terrible approach.

Just because I am not agreeing to this loser "lets assume that we lose and give him a cap" mentality does not mean that I don't think changes are needed.

I like Sam, but I would rather play Carrick or hopefully Henrique before him.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
keep defending Mcleod because people jsut aren't spotting the contributions he;s making, even in this series. he now has 4 passes to slot including last night that nobody has cashed on in this series. he uses his pace to such effect to get pucks out. Several times in series he's been the one to skate it out or seperate and get space to advance puck out or get it up ice. he's first to forecheck, he's tirless, he's our best pk forward along with Nuge.
I agree. He was part of the problem last playoffs imo, but this year he's been playing well. It would be nicer if he was producing and/or being physical, but he hasn't been a drain and or made many mistakes. We need more of that from everyone right now.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'm not saying stick with the guys doing kack shit.... Changes are sometimes needed.
But when it comes to win or go home, "lets play guy just to give him a last cap" is a terrible approach.

Just because I am not agreeing to this loser "lets assume that we lose and give him a cap" mentality does not mean that I don't think changes are needed.

I like Sam, but I would rather play Carrick or hopefully Henrique before him.
Aren't Carrick and Henrique hurt? Who's the next best option then, Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad