Pre-Game Talk: Decisions Decisions Decisions v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Small samples really. It’s worth trying cause Ceci is so bad. But still not an ideal upgrade and not a garanteed Stetcher also doesn’t hurt us.

I'd still give it a shot. I would've given it a shot waaaaaaaaaay before a possible game 6 must win. How stupid Ken Holland is after making shit trades on TDL and yet the coach can't be confident enough to play 2/3 of those acquired players is just an indictment of how shit Ken Holland is.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd still give it a shot. I would've given it a shot waaaaaaaaaay before a possible game 6 must win. How stupid Ken Holland is after making shit trades on TDL and yet the coach can't be confident enough to play 2/3 of those acquired players is just an indictment of how shit Ken Holland is.
I love how every “test” Holland does doesn’t even affect his moves. Like we tried shuffling our D pairs in the regular season and the whole team looked off and disjointed. Holland gets Knob to test the waters and see if Ceci can be saved. The answer is a resound no, and still he sticks with this Seive.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I love how every “test” Holland does doesn’t even affect his moves. Like we tried shuffling our D pairs in the regular season and the whole team looked off and disjointed. Holland gets Knob to test the waters and see if Ceci can be saved. The answer is a resound no, and still he sticks with this Seive.

At least we won't ever have to hear his yearly annual excuse on why he couldn't make an all in move to help 29/97 in the playoffs. Ken Holland can f*** off to CBJ today and I'll be overjoyed.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Sad thing is, Stecher is still a better player than Ceci and should be in the lineup. But due to Ceci being Mr Popular in the room, he gets to play. Him being able to transition the puck cleanly makes him already better than shit Ceci.

Someone had speculated this earlier in the playoffs when he wasn’t getting any games, could be something lame like he took too many penalties and they’re worried about that. I don’t know anymore

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Who should start game 6? It's an elimination game and Skinner is the starter and tends to play good after some rest but Pickard has been good the last 2 games but he should have had goals 1 and 2 last night.
Not even a discussion
1715966747708.jpeg

1715966812758.jpeg

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I have no idea why Drai would leave. Where is he going to go that can pay him what he's worth that has a better chance of wining in the short term?

Yup. I think it anything, the way he sorta coasts through the regular season and beasts in the playoffs, he lives for the playoffs. The only option really would be if a contender can fit him in but I doubt any can

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Someone had speculated this earlier in the playoffs when he wasn’t getting any games, could be something lame like he took too many penalties and they’re worried about that. I don’t know anymore

Don't need speculation that Ceci is worse than him and is a net negative player on both ends of the ice and craters anybody that's on the ice when he's on it too though. But hey, 'muh friendship' mattered more to the core.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It’s just down to if Knob trusts him I think. Imo Stetcher has a great battle level, good skater, and can make an impact if everything goes right. But I do think there’s a lot of chaos in his game, and could struggle to keep up in the playoffs. Still an upgrade on Ceci probably, but Knob just doesn’t have the trust in him.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It’s just down to if Knob trusts him I think. Imo Stetcher has a great battle level, good skater, and can make an impact if everything goes right. But I do think there’s a lot of chaos in his game, and could struggle to keep up in the playoffs. Still an upgrade on Ceci probably, but Knob just doesn’t have the trust in him.

Which is an indictment of Holland if anything. Can't trust Carrick either! Can't trust 2/3 of your TDL acquisitions is so comical. Thanks for trading the 1st, two 4ths, and conditional 5th for absolutely nothing, Holland. f*** off.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Don't need speculation that Ceci is worse than him and is a net negative player on both ends of the ice and craters anybody that's on the ice when he's on it too though. But hey, 'muh friendship' mattered more to the core.
I think that’s giving too much of an excuse to Holland. He traded Barrie, so it’s not like the precedent wasn’t there for trading popular guys in the locker room.

He just couldn’t find a trade to upgrade on Ceci. That’s a failure on his part.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think that’s giving too much of an excuse to Holland. He traded Barrie, so it’s not like the precedent wasn’t there for trading popular guys in the locker room.

He just couldn’t find a trade to upgrade on Ceci. That’s a failure on his part.

That's only one though. The bigger problems that plagued this team last playoffs has once again plagued them again this year. He did f*** all during the TDL to address it where 2/3 players aren't even trusted to play in the playoffs. Imagine trading a 1st, two 4ths, and a conditional 5th for that. Absolute garbage.

Reactions: oilers4life5

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That's only one though. The bigger problems that plagued this team last playoffs has once again plagued them again this year. He did f*** all during the TDL to address it where 2/3 players aren't even trusted to play in the playoffs. Imagine trading a 1st, two 4ths, and a conditional 5th for that. Absolute garbage.
No I’m agreeing, I’m just saying that blaming the friendship thing on the players is just excusing Holland. He’s the GM. He can do what he wants.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
No I’m agreeing, I’m just saying that blaming the friendship thing on the players is just excusing Holland. He’s the GM. He can do what he wants.

Oh, I know brother. I said it last night. The core wanted to keep the likes of Ceci and Foegele. A hard pressed GM would've said stfu and let me do my work to build a better team to win a cup. Holland? Oh.... okay... ummm.. we'll keep them.. we happy...???

Reactions: frag2

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You'd have to think this is likely the case.

If he is questioning re-signing when the window opens to sign him, Oilers likely move him for assets to take a run at it without Draisaitl and a year left of McDavid.

Keeping him the best option for the short-term obviously, but losing him and not acquiring assets back will haunt the organization for many many years.
Next season will start with a Drai extension agreed to or a Drai trade. No way they let him play up to UFA status without a deal waiting in the wings.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Next season will start with a Drai extension agreed to or a Drai trade. No way they let him play up to UFA status without a deal waiting in the wings.
If they trade Drai...they can shut down this franchise for good.

Still only two wins in a row needed...we are not defeated yet...there is still hope and all starts with us fans in the next game at home...give them our energy...that's all we can do...trust and hope.

Reactions: WEMCHUD

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Still only two wins in a row needed...we are not defeated yet...there is still hope and all starts with us fans in the next game at home...give them our energy...that's all we can do...trust and hope.
They will not shut down the franchise.

You can't tell me that if Drai will not sign an extension this offseason, that the team doesn't start looking to move him pronto. He is as good as gone if he wont put pen to paper.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Who should start game 6? It's an elimination game and Skinner is the starter and tends to play good after some rest but Pickard has been good the last 2 games but he should have had goals 1 and 2 last night.
My thoughts are that Skinner shouldn’t be near the net.

He lost the crease and Pickard has played better than Skinner in the past two. Pickard hasn’t done anything to lose the net.

The fact that the teams “#1” might be on the bench in an elimination game means zilch. You ice the line up that will give you the best chance to win, not the one that salves any hurt feels.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

You know they traded Wayne Gretzky almost 40 years ago? Franchise is still cooking now and still will after this era of superstars has moved on, sooner or later. Ebbs and flows.

Like you said, go get one win tomorrow and then go to the City of Riots and get one more.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
They will not shut down the franchise.

You can't tell me that if Drai will not sign an extension this offseason, that the team doesn't start looking to move him pronto. He is as good as gone if he wont put pen to paper.
Yeah, they'll do everything they can to re-sign Draisaitl, but if he doesn't want to, then letting him play this season without a contract extension would be f***ing negligent.

Last edited:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
This is the crossroad where we see if this team is truly worthy of a championship. History has taught us this:

2009 Penguins: 2nd round, down 0-2 to Washington, force game 7 and clinch. Cup finals, down 0-2 to Detroit, and then 2-3. Crosby and co win game 6 and 7 for his first chip

2013 Blackhawks: 2nd round, down 1-3 vs Detroit. Force game 7 and win in OT. En route to Toews and Kane 2nd chip

2014 Kings: 1st round down 0-3 to SJ, come back and win in 7. 2nd round down 2-3 to Anaheim, win game 6 and 7, en route to Kopitar and co. 2nd chip

2015 Hawks: 3rd round, dowm 2-3 vs Anaheim, win game 6 and 7 en route to Kane Toews 3rd chip

2016 Penguins: 3rd round, down 2-3 vs Tampa, win game 6 and 7 en route to Crosby and co. 2nd chip

2018 Capitals: 1st round, down 0-2 to Columbus, come back and win series.
3rd round, down 2-3 vs Tampa, win game 6 and 7, en route to Ovechkin and co. 1st chip

There are plenty more examples, but the particular ones above mimic what we have right now. A pair/few Superstar generational talents, in their prime. Each time they were faced with the ultimate adversity of being eliminated, they persevere and ascend themselves and the team into the next phase.

This is the McDavid and co. era, and now faced with the same Crossroads the previous generational talents were tested on. We'll witness if this team us truly a team destined for greatness.
I believe they are. And we're going to see an asended Edmonton Oilers team on Saturday, and hopefully on Monday
Did those teams have Ceci? Lol

Now this is the crazy part. I feel like the Oilers are pretty much down and out now. I also feel like they are huge underdogs obviously to win two in a row.

But would if they happened to do it? And Vancouver, who must feel that way as well, loses at home in game 7? There isn't enough insurance in the world to cover that scenario.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Did those teams have Ceci? Lol

Now this is the crazy part. I feel like the Oilers are pretty much down and out now. I also feel like they are huge underdogs obviously to win two in a row.

But would if they happened to do it? And Vancouver, who must feel that way as well, loses at home in game 7? There isn't enough insurance in the world to cover that scenario.

Can’t speak for them all but I know the 2015 Hawks had the corpse of Kimmo Timonen. Might have still been better though, but he was pretty bad by then

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What an utterly horrendous effort last game. They better come out flying for game 6.

If they play with the same lack of urgency and lack of physicality, then this one is over.

Our refusal to shoot the puck last game was beyond infuriating to witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad