Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
No it isn’t. I just don’t think goaltending is our biggest issue. Soul crushing giveaways and nobody beyond one line is contributing anything is a larger problem. It simply isn’t sustainable. It’s not exactly a new issue either
Oiler goaltending in this series is a horrible .870.

In what universe is that not a big issue? All games have been one goal games (5-4; 4-3; 4-3, one game going to OT). Not suggesting depth scoring wouldn’t be welcome, but it’s false to say that it’s a bigger issue than goaltending).

The team needs some saves and even average NHL goaltending and with it they would be on top in this series.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Think what people r missing the most about the goaltending is how demoralizing bad goals r to the team. O see it in the players attitudes and work ethic after a bad goal. It's almost like they give up and say what's the point. No matter how many we score are tender is gonna let them score more

And how many times had we scored only to give 1 back with in minutes and kull any momentum we had...

Imo you have to go Pickard or Campbell in game 4 because you can go right back to Stewart in game 5 if need be, you go with Skinner and he flops its pretty much all but done then....

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Learned 2 important things on the GYB pod today:

- Strudwick worked with Stu Skinner when Stu was in Grade 9. I think we now know why Stu is struggling as a goalie.

- Rishaug’s Go-To Subway sandwich is meatless, just veggies on a piece of bread (with BBQ sauce, WTF!). Salad on a bun is what Brownie called it. I’m sure the sandwich artists make fun of him anytime he orders this abomination.

As always, a great entertaining listen.

• Haha
Reactions: ManOfSteelI and Mez

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

- Strudwick worked with Stu Skinner when Stu was in Grade 9. I think we now know why Stu is struggling as a goalie.

- Rishaug’s Go-To Subway sandwich is meatless, just veggies on a piece of bread (with BBQ sauce, WTF!). Salad on a bun is what Brownie called it. I’m sure the sandwich artists make fun of him anytime he orders this abomination.

Hey now, veggie subs are great. Subways meat is so damn salty.

Reactions: brentashton

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Listening to some of the guys who who used to work for tsn 1260 but now make money on youtube. They make Dan Tencer seem 100% more professional. They really hate people suggesting they may have misjudged a few things from the series

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What scares me about this series is the manner in which we're losing games and lack of response Vans physicality and gamesmanship. Losing game 1 after 3 goal lead deflated momentum and our best player is eating cross. Our toughest guy is getting dumped head first onto the bench and just smiling. There's no fight and desire. This teams gotta nut up and impose their will. Vans got the lead because they want it more.
I really disagree with this take. Vancouver has the physical edge but we aren't playing soft. Winning the game is most important and the last thing we need is to get out of position chasing physicality. Also our PK is bad again.

Also Kane's reaction was great. Getting dumped in the bench is overrated. It's getting tossed into a pillow. Crunched along the boards is worse.

What pisses me off is the dumsht media, pushing for a Skinner start again in game 4. Just like last season, fans screaming for Campbell, pos media pushes for Skinner, of course the coach believes maybe thats what the fans believe too. These old media dipshts can kick rocks, bunch of turds that almost always represent the complete opposite of the fan's reactions and preferences
It definitely seems like Skinner will play. Funny enough the media seemed most angry at Skinner for not being available for interview and now they like him again after he showed the next day.

McDavid kind of said that Skinner was playing. Although maybe it's just that he's okay with Skinner. He said he'd expect Skinner to bounce back.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Live footage of Rishaug ordering said veggie sandwich:

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The problem is if you start Skinner and you lose now you go into Vancouver in an elimination game having to start Pickard.

If you start Pickard tonight and lose you're screwed either way in game 5 but at least you tried something new.
If you lose tonight you’re down 3-1 and this series, for all intents and purposes, is over. This is a must win game. Do you want to risk your season on Skinner or try something else? Worry about game 5 after you win tonight. Lose tonight and it likely doesn’t matter anymore.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Skinner's cooked. Knoblauch is a bad poker player and I think his post game presser waffling suggests he's moved on to Pickard for game 4. Team has a low bar asking for only average goaltending. Pickard resets the biggest weakness that has been exploited.

I'd move Nugent Hopkins back to Line 1 and reunite the most dominant line in the regular season. Give McDavid back his distributor guy that can help open ice for him. Draisaitl needs to drive Line 2 with Holloway injected to add speed, heavy forecheck game and with Kane. Can still find time, if needed for McDavid Draisaitl Stack Line in game but there's zero support scoring when this team runs its five best players as a unit.

Carrick in at 4C and Ryan shifted to wing where he can still help with his smart play but have a bigger body taking the centre ice responsibilities. Brown out and Gagner in for an energy boost and greater willingness to play in hard areas. Think Stetcher's capabilities are being overrated. Sounds like Henrique injury has him too compromised.

Nugent Hopkins - McDavid - Draisaitl
Holloway - Draisaitl - Kane
Janmark - McLeod - Gagner
Foegele - Carrick - Ryan
Where did Hyman go? The fact that 6 people liked this with two Drai is scary

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
If you lose tonight you’re down 3-1 and this series, for all intents and purposes, is over. This is a must win game. Do you want to risk your season on Skinner or try something else? Worry about game 5 after you win tonight. Lose tonight and it likely doesn’t matter anymore.
You have to go with Pickard, at some point you need to follow the math

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Skinner is in, I think I'm going to work on my car than sit through this one. I'll catch the highlights and come here and read the PGT. If we win, great. If we lose, I didn't waste 3 hours

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Well it should be tonight, because when he wants to throw 'em, he can throw 'em. They can afford to lose him for 5 minutes to send a message. Just have to time it right, can't look like it's a desperation move
the way he is playing it would be best for everyone if he fought once a period

Reactions: Dhockey16

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Pickard is most likely better than Silovs so there's that.
Pickard is what he is, but Skinner has been poor in 3 straight starts, they have to try something else.

The problem is Pickard really ain't any good either.

But starting him takes some stones so I'll give the coaches credit for that.
Now he just has to announce that Ceci is coming out as well.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If Skinner is in, I think I'm going to work on my car than sit through this one. I'll catch the highlights and come here and read the PGT. If we win, great. If we lose, I didn't waste 3 hours

Haha. This seems to be a common comment. Couple guys I talked to about the series said they are just gonna turn it off if Skinner starts.

That's where we have finally come.

Reactions: Canovin

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Seriously, there is no way that Pickard can be much worse than no confidence Skinner. No confidence Skinner is ECHL quality. Just a busted table hockey goalie that is super hard to move, praying stuff hits him. We have to play near flawless defense to win with this version of Skinner.

Maybe Pickard in net will motivate these guys to put in that extra effort and be smarter with the puck in our end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad