Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What pisses me off is the dumsht media, pushing for a Skinner start again in game 4. Just like last season, fans screaming for Campbell, pos media pushes for Skinner, of course the coach believes maybe thats what the fans believe too. These old media dipshts can kick rocks, bunch of turds that almost always represent the complete opposite of the fan's reactions and preferences
I’m not convinced that the coach even decides who starts on this team. I don’t know if it’s Schwartz or someone else.

I mean the game was barely even over yesterday, and Stauffer was already claiming Skinner was starting. Maybe he phoned Knoblauch when he was on the bench I guess. Seems like a similar pattern regardless of its Knoblauch, Woodcroft or Tippett.

Oilking83

Jan 14, 2009
Oil Country
I’m not convinced that the coach even decides who starts on this team. I don’t know if it’s Schwartz or someone else.

I mean the game was barely even over yesterday, and Stauffer was already claiming Skinner was starting. Maybe he phoned Knoblauch when he was on the bench I guess. Seems like a similar pattern regardless of its Knoblauch, Woodcroft or Tippett.
Well if knob is making his decision off what fans or media think then he needs to be relieved of his duties… based on performance and just throwing an different look at the opposition I think needs to be Pickard.

Reactions: iCanada

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I'd run these lines if Henrique is still injured

37 97 18
93 29 91
13 55 10
90 39 89

14 2
25 27
73 51

Foegele doesn't deserve top line minutes, but he does seem to respond for a game or two when given the bump up there. Add in Gagner & Carrick for some jump and energy. Bring is Stetcher and sit Ceci for a game.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
100% go with the backup, his name or ability doesn't matter.

At least the backup doesn't have any baggage and the team might play more detailed knowing an AHLer is in net.

The last coach didn't have the balls, when he had a better goalie on the bench. I think it's unlikely this one makes the correct decision either, but he has a two season sample size. Skinner seems to look good in a controlled environment, which is not the playoffs.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Glad some of the ex players calling out performance. I totally agree nuge Mcleod if you're going to do nothing offensively you better be more physical than lindholm and Garland.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
What scares me about this series is the manner in which we're losing games and lack of response Vans physicality and gamesmanship. Losing game 1 after 3 goal lead deflated momentum and our best player is eating cross. Our toughest guy is getting dumped head first onto the bench and just smiling. There's no fight and desire. This teams gotta nut up and impose their will. Vans got the lead because they want it more.
better coached team or more coachable team imo. The Canucks played this way since game one of the season. They are very detailed. The Oilers getting run on a set play was almost funny

Tho, one of the reasons the oilers haven't been laying big hits is because they have had the puck for the majority of the series and the Canucks D have some big dmen playing dump ins. No excuses but there is some systemic reasons too

Oilking83

Jan 14, 2009
Oil Country
Glad some of the ex players calling out performance. I totally agree nuge Mcleod if you're going to do nothing offensively you better be more physical than lindholm and Garland.
Agreed when will Nuge start feeling the heat? Nurse has been feeling it and deservingly so as well as Ceci. Kane and certain member of bottom six have felt it too. He’s an alternate captain and longest serving oiler and hasn’t pissed a drop in the playoffs.

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
The "Cup or Bust" talk was actually one of the dumbest things McDavid could have ever said. I appreciate the determination in professing it but this isn't the NBA, making a proclamation as if you can solo (or even a 5 man unit like we've been seeing this playoff run) will a team to a Cup is pretty much impossible, particularly in the modern NHL

It put a target on them from game one of the season and quite honestly may have had a big impact on creating their own personal nightmare Cancucks by empowering them by handing them a great start to the season while sewering their own start. I don't think there was a lot of belief in that lockerroom until they back to back stomped a team that some expected to challenge for the President's Trophy

Regardless of what happens the rest of these playoffs, I hope the team leadership has a bit more humility and new management is able to clear out some of the deadweight that has been exposed in these playoffs

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Dear Game 4,

1715666841374.png

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
To be fair, the question he was responding to (asked by Gregor) was "You're not facing a lot of shots, can that sometimes be more challenging?" Skinner essentially responded "yes, sometimes, but that's my job and I've got to be better".

I don't think it was a terrible answer, it's not like he spontaneously brought that up himself. Honestly our media asks some of the dumbest effing questions sometimes.
we have the biggest jerk offs for sports media. Spector should be sent to Winnipeg

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Seravelli spitting hot fire on Oilers Now today
He was amazing. I was super impressed.

Good segment, some of my commentary mixed in

There is absolutely no reason Skinner should be starting game 4. The abysmal playoff stats and the inability to face the media is simply too much

Also wonderful that he's called out Schwartz and Bob didn't cut him off (but did defend him a bit...ugh). Maybe this loser will finally be gone this offseason

Lmao, just got to the part where he calls out their fanbase (probably for them calling him an Oilers homer):

"Where have they been the last 9 years? I've been to games in Vancouver, I don't remember it being like this" ...and then... "It's the most highly combustible market in the league....really sensitive about everything" :laugh:

I also agree with Frank: let Soucy take the suspension and move on. (It's too late now.) Bob was saying "get him next year". Who gives a shit? (Is he even going to be a Cancuck next year?)

Who is missing according to Frank?

Starts with Kane

Bob brings up Nuge: nothingburger

Foegele: lacking brain cells

McLeod: too perimeter

Nurse & Ceci: need more steady play, be efficient (I think he's too nice here, but he brings up Tanev..."less is more")

Bob jerking off the Canucks for their in-season adds ("they won the season") and the Flames for helping them

Frank's closing remarks: Both Woodcroft and Knoblauch had good records, Oilers need to continue with Knob no matter what. McDrai great in playoffs, team construction needs to be revised. Henrique and Carrick "weren't it". Thinks they don't put them over the top, Wennberg a similar add for a 3rd. (Bob doesn't think Henrique will be healthy enough to play.)

Bonus, his guesses for new coaches:

Leafs: Berube (please no)

Devils: McLellan or Woodcroft

Seattle: Bylsma (lol)

Kings: Not sure

He guesses it will be 3-2 Vancouver by Friday

Said they weren't ready to play game 3

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Add me to the group that doesn't understand why McD and Drai have been playing together for much of this series. It's fine after a PK or late in a game when the Oil need a break, but we all know -- from painful years of experience -- that it's an option that doesn't work in the long run. The guaranteed results, in playoff time, is a bottom-9 that can't score... which is exactly what we've got now.

So, yeah, for God's sake, let Drai go back to his own line, playing with whomever.

Pickard probably deserves his chance now... but keep in mind we're talking about a career AHL-er who, in nine years within NHL circles, has not been trusted to start a single playoff game by six different franchises. So, yeah, it'd be great if he pulls the rabbit out of his hat, but I don't think there's any upgrade on Skinner. It's more just a relief of sorts for the players to have a change.

I'm not sold on Carrick, as I thought he looked rather bad in the few appearances he made. Not a difference maker.

Henrique would be nice. Can he go?

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
This series feels exactly like the Vegas series. This team just isn't built for a playoff run.

To me it's Pickard or nothing. I guess we could start Campbell in game 5 if we lose tonight but at that point, I don't think it would matter. The series would be over anyways.

Hopefully Rodrigue happens to be the next Cujo because we don't have any other goalies coming to help us in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I think his defensive game is all that's keeping him in the lineup. That and that amazing perimeter play and last night once the whistle blew I saw him pretend like he was rushing to the front of the net.

When you think big time playoff performers that will sacrifice their body to win you think of guys like Jason Smith, Igor Ulanov, Ryan Smyth and of course Ryan McLeod!
There was a sequence where a Nucks d had the puck behind the net and McLeod just flew by him trying to snatch the puck instead of, you know, laying the shoulder on him, pinning him to the boards, harassing him, anything.

Of course the attempted takeaway failed too and the Cuck could just go on about his day.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Start Pickard have Campbell backup

Pickard is the most ready to jump right in.
Campbell is a better wild card than Skinner.
Skinner would benefit from the presser aerial view to better his positioning.

Win win win

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

This is pretty much it. No matter what coach we have had esp theblastbfew years between the 3 the exact same fking mistakes continue to happen. So you really have to ask yourself who is fking coaching this team behind thens scenes.

And from what I gathered from woodcrofts pressers last playoffs during the same drama it seems schultz is heavily relied on for who actually gets the start

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Good segment, some of my commentary mixed in

There is absolutely no reason Skinner should be starting game 4. The abysmal playoff stats and the inability to face the media is simply too much

Also wonderful that he's called out Schwartz and Bob didn't cut him off (but did defend him a bit...ugh). Maybe this loser will finally be gone this offseason

Lmao, just got to the part where he calls out their fanbase (probably for them calling him an Oilers homer):

"Where have they been the last 9 years? I've been to games in Vancouver, I don't remember it being like this" ...and then... "It's the most highly combustible market in the league....really sensitive about everything" :laugh:

I also agree with Frank: let Soucy take the suspension and move on. (It's too late now.) Bob was saying "get him next year". Who gives a shit? (Is he even going to be a Cancuck next year?)

Who is missing according to Frank?

Starts with Kane

Bob brings up Nuge: nothingburger

Foegele: lacking brain cells

McLeod: too perimeter

Nurse & Ceci: need more steady play, be efficient (I think he's too nice here, but he brings up Tanev..."less is more")

Bob jerking off the Canucks for their in-season adds ("they won the season") and the Flames for helping them

Frank's closing remarks: Both Woodcroft and Knoblauch had good records, Oilers need to continue with Knob no matter what. McDrai great in playoffs, team construction needs to be revised. Henrique and Carrick "weren't it". Thinks they don't put them over the top, Wennberg a similar add for a 3rd. (Bob doesn't think Henrique will be healthy enough to play.)

Bonus, his guesses for new coaches:

Leafs: Berube (please no)

Devils: McLellan or Woodcroft

Seattle: Bylsma (lol)

Kings: Not sure

He guesses it will be 3-2 Vancouver by Friday

Said they weren't ready to play game 3
You missed “my sources say Drai playing with broken ribs”

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Trade McLeod for Kostin in the off-season. Let Foegele walk. Bring in gritty/dirty 3rd line players so we can actually have a legit 3rd line for once.

Oilers lack a

Moreau Marchant Grier 3rd line! If we had that, and a reliable goalie, the cup is ours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad