December 2023 BOG meeting in Seattle; UPD cap est 24-25 $87.675m

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hmm.. Guess the BOG all wanted to see Seattle and how the Kraken are doing, but man, it's pouring rain here in the Pacific Northwest on Mon and Tue.

I would expect Expansion more about people asking than the NHL planning on another round.

Have to be flexible with the applicants due to the arenas. I expect that the ATL bid needs the greenlight of an expansion franchise to get the approval from the city to proceed. SLC, NHL wants to see a new arena approved. Houston, can approve right away if Fertitia is willing to pay the NHL's asking price.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Hmm.. Guess the BOG all wanted to see Seattle and how the Kraken are doing, but man, it's pouring rain here in the Pacific Northwest on Mon and Tue.

I would expect Expansion more about people asking than the NHL planning on another round.

Have to be flexible with the applicants due to the arenas. I expect that the ATL bid needs the greenlight of an expansion franchise to get the approval from the city to proceed. SLC, NHL wants to see a new arena approved. Houston, can approve right away if Fertitia is willing to pay the NHL's asking price.

From what I read, the league apparently promised a BoG meeting would take place in Seattle in 2020, but due to COVID, it didn't happen.

As for Atlanta, the new arena project did receive positive reviews from the Atlanta Regional Commission, but haven't heard any news on it since October.

Reactions: GreenHornet

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The cap.

Should be 95 million at least, if not 100 million.
They have an agreement with the PA or something regarding the max they can increase. It's at the 5% maximum for 24/25 season. See if it's going to be another 5% for 25/26. At $87.7 mill, another 5% on top of that would be like $4.35 mill to take us to $92 mill. But, there have been a couple of ups and downs business wise. New ad revenue from jerseys/helmets, but the Regional Sports Network Diamond going bankrupt.

As for Arizona, is this new plot of land in the same county/city or whatever as the Footprint Arena where the Suns play? Would the city officials greenlight another 18K arena in their county/city after the renovation to the Suns arena? Only just adding the 45 hockey dates (including pre-season). Does it make sense for that city/county to have 2 areas.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
As for Arizona, is this new plot of land in the same county/city or whatever as the Footprint Arena where the Suns play? Would the city officials greenlight another 18K arena in their county/city after the renovation to the Suns arena? Only just adding the 45 hockey dates (including pre-season). Does it make sense for that city/county to have 2 areas.

Some of the reporting/speculation is that it is unincorporated land, so not part of any city or county. That should make getting approvals much easier, but then is hardly going to be in a central location.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
By my estimates the cap should be $90m-$91m to end up with minimal overage or shortfall.
Within range of the MoU if they mutually agree to it. Wonder if that conversation happens, or conversely if there is a desire by one of the parties to keep it low and it’s a nonstarter.

You’d think the PA would be in favour, you wonder if there is pressure from lower revenue teams to not make the full jump.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Within range of the MoU if they mutually agree to it. Wonder if that conversation happens, or conversely if there is a desire by one of the parties to keep it low and it’s a nonstarter.

You’d think the PA would be in favour, you wonder if there is pressure from lower revenue teams to not make the full jump.
Limiting cap increases helps keep escrow down and increases the chance of players actually earning more than their contracted salaries.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Limiting cap increases helps keep escrow down and increases the chance of players actually earning more than their contracted salaries.
It would have, that only took the PA 15 years to figure out. Projecting revenues and the PA for a time insisting on artificially bumping it each year was a big part of the problem there. But with the lagging cap calculation in use now it shouldn’t be the issue it historically has been, at least to me.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It would have, that only took the PA 15 years to figure out. Projecting revenues and the PA for a time insisting on artificially bumping it each year was a big part of the problem there. But with the lagging cap calculation in use now it shouldn’t be the issue it historically has been, at least to me.
I think the far bigger issue with escrow was far too many teams spending above the midpoint.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think the far bigger issue with escrow was far too many teams spending above the midpoint.

Which is why I argue for an asymmetrical cap and floor, but there were more pressing things to figure out during the last CBA negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad