Post-Game Talk: Dec 19 2015 - LA Kings @ Maple Leafs - Shut-out: Page 17 PGT Starts

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well at least we have Marner and Nylander, no one can take those two away from us. And we have someone better than McDavid and that is Babcock.

Amazingly enough, we are actually still last place overall. But if Bernier captures form, well, that could change dramatically.

Have to think though, that Mark Hunter is literally licking his chops at what Lamierello is going to have at his disposal at the deadline.

Babcock is setting almost every dud on this team up to be tradeable. Amazingly enough, Winnick might be the weakest forward on our team as of now, and look at what he provided for Hunter last year.

As long we aren't really all that close to a playoff spot, Lammy could go hog wild at the deadline. Getting tons of seconds, thirds, fourths and fifths.

It is not already and its going to get a lot worse, a great time to be a Leaf prospect, you are going into a very large meat grinder now boyo.

Winnik and Spaling will probably be out there. Along with Polak.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Pitts will make the playoffs. They must. Would be funny if they hire RC and he plays the run and gun style in Pitts.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Even in his 30 goal season, Grabner never hit four points in a game before.

Literally doubled his goals and assists for the season.

Let's see if this was dumb luck, or if he's stepped up his game.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Aren't Polak, Parenteau and Grabner on expiring contracts? They are the ones I would expect to be most easily traded.

I had thought Hunwick, Winnik and Spaling are signed for next year too. If so, I could see them carrying over with the Leafs. Hunwick's contract is very team-friendly and he could easily be traded, but I'm not sure the Leafs would want to let him go so soon.

Boyes is expiring too, but he doesn't seem to have any trade value.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Pitts will make the playoffs. They must. Would be funny if they hire RC and he plays the run and gun style in Pitts.

Yeah, but they would have to fire Kessel first. I think Randy's had enough of that guy for one lifetime.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

Winnik has another year on his contract so I wonder if a team looking for depth at the deadline would be interested in him. I could see Polak having value, as down as lot of people are on him, he could be a good addition as a 6/7 insurance d on a legit contender.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Has Pittsburg even won since their coaching change? Mike Sullivan is the new Horachek.

Like the Leafs though, they were on a downward trend before the coaching change and it's unfair to blame the new guy for all the problems.

viggen

Mar 22, 2013
Carinthia
Was he playing on the PP with Tavares? The classic was when the Wings overpaid Warren Young after his one year of 40 goals playing the wing on Mario's line.

No he wasnt, he wasnt even playing with Tavares that season but played mostly 3rd line...

The thing is, it seems Babcock has completely transformed Grabner from a speedy rush player into a possession player that can cycle the puck, something he has never been able to.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Like the Leafs though, they were on a downward trend before the coaching change and it's unfair to blame the new guy for all the problems.

Oh for sure, that's the same line of reasoning I used to endlessly defend Horachek until his refusal to juggle the first line or take Clarkson off the pp made me lose sympathy. Sullivan has inherited a huge mess. What they really need to do is trade for Tyler Bozak to feed pucks to Phil.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Winnik sure is first in 5v5 P/60, but it's set to come down.

He hasn't been himself this season, both statistical analysis and eye test supports that. He's looking better lately though, so perhaps he's finding his game again.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Oh for sure, that's the same line of reasoning I used to endlessly defend Horachek until his refusal to juggle the first line or take Clarkson off the pp made me lose sympathy. Sullivan has inherited a huge mess. What they really need to do is trade for Tyler Bozak to feed pucks to Phil.

If they do, they'd better clone Bob Gainey to play the other wing, otherwise that line's going -100 again.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I am not a big stats guy I just watch guys on ice individually to see what they are doing. Old school I guess. Wouldn't be a great coffee mate for Dubas I am sure.

So give me more of a chicken soup here, is Winnik doing something statistically solid that I am missing, always willing to be wrong. Specially if it means Leafs are better than I am thinking.

gilmourd

Aug 9, 2009
I am not a big stats guy I just watch guys on ice individually to see what they are doing. Old school I guess. Wouldn't be a great coffee mate for Dubas I am sure.

So give me more of a chicken soup here, is Winnik doing something statistically solid that I am missing, always willing to be wrong. Specially if it means Leafs are better than I am thinking.

Points per 60 minutes. Not all players play the same amount of ice time. Some players may get more points simply because they get more minutes. So points per 60 is a stat that measures how many points would a player score if they were to play the entire game.

In other words, that stat is measuring how many points a player is scoring based on the opportunity given.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Hey guys. T. J. Brennan. Tearing it up year after year. Could Babcock do something with this guy, that no one else has been able to do and get him to translate this to the NHL? Heck this guy has transformed so many others. Possible?

I am starting to think Babcock could convince a three legged donkey he has a shot in a horse race about now. Just like Burnsie did.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
JVR made a pretty good back check play, which surprised the crap out of me.
Bozak was solid in face off as usual.
Holland needs scoring/shooting lessons.
Winnik was solid.

They won 5-0, even if some guys didn't score, they didn't concede either.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Winnik sure is first in 5v5 P/60, but it's set to come down.

He hasn't been himself this season, both statistical analysis and eye test supports that. He's looking better lately though, so perhaps he's finding his game again.

He has been himself. That's himself. Last year he over achieved a bit. What you are seeing is the real Winnick. Same with Mathias. He's not an 18 goal scorer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad