Post-Game Talk: Death by Powerplay. 4-2 Leafs Lose

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I seriously can not remember a season where this team had so many breaks between games, can any of you?

But honestly, I think it's really good. They play then they just.... cease to exist, and then they play again, rinse and repeat. I think in a sense, it helps the team this year not be so much in the spotlight.

Anyway.
I really hope tomorrow Corrado plays.

Details will come as I get them.

(thanks, Budsfan)

Maple Leafs-Washington Capitals: Saturday game preview

Russian sniper Alexander Ovechkin leads the Caps' high-powered offence into the ACC Saturday night.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ashington-capitals-saturday-game-preview.html

By: Mark Zwolinski Sports reporter, Published on Fri Nov 27 2015

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

Radio: Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Key matchup:Evgeny Kuznetsov vs. Leafs D.

Kuznetsov has 24 points, four more than Alexander Ovechkin for the team lead in scoring. He centres a powerful second line with Marcus Johansson and Justin Williams. That line will be a handful for the Leafs’ second defensive pairing of Dion Phaneuf and Jake Gardiner.

Top line: Ovechkin scored just his second power-play goal of the season Wednesday in a win over Winnipeg, but linemate and centre Niklas Backstrom is helping the line’s performance, along with winger T.J. Oshie. In his last five games, Backstrom has posted six points as the Capitals have gone 4-1-0. He has also assisted goal No. 484 for Ovie, which made Ovechkin the highest-scoring Russian born player in NHL history.

Hot keeper:Braden Holtby is one of the top goalies in the NHL. He brings a 13-4 record, with a 1.95 GAA and .924 save percentage, to the Air Canada Centre.

Local boy: Toronto-born Tom Wilson slides into the high-octane Capitals on the fourth line, filling the enforcer role. He has become, in two years, one of the best agitators in the NHL. He doesn’t have a goal yet this season but is a key part of a very good Capitals team.

Up next: Monday at ACC, vs. Edmonton Oilers, 7:30 p.m., Sportsnet

Last edited by a moderator:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The scheduling in the first half is atrocious. Can you imagine if we were on a winning streak and we had this kind of break between games? It kils any sort of momentum.

We apparently have the hardest schedule this year. I don't remember where I read that but it's really bad.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I'm really enjoying the games this year so much more than last year.

Said it before and i'll say it again, I don't care how many game we win, i just appreciate they look and play like a team.

I certainly agree the breaks are driving me crazy - it's so long between games. I also agree though that - in a strange way because of where we are in the rebuild/whatever it's called stage - that in a way, practice time, or like daisy suggested - just down time in any way - deflects attention and I think only helps MB and crew actually work on things in practices a bit more than a team can normally do.

But, assume the after xmas and later in the schedule there won't be any more 4 or 5 days between games.

Speaking of which, for a change perhaps, we get the Caps on the back half of a back to back; they play the Lightning Friday, so, we've got that going for us - i guess.

Edit: Daisy - is there any news on Polak's injury since obviously if he's hurting a bit, that would be perhaps a situation where they could go to Corrado - same shot same side.
Though, would MB be okay with a Corrado/Harrington or a Corrado/Marincin pairing, or would he maybe move Hunwick down or something like that?

Last edited:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
The scheduling in the first half is atrocious. Can you imagine if we were on a winning streak and we had this kind of break between games? It kils any sort of momentum.

We apparently have the hardest schedule this year. I don't remember where I read that but it's really bad.

At least it gave Reimer time to heal...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
On the flip side with the schedule, it's just more time for them to learn the system. Can't say I like all the back to back games though, lol.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Some of the worst I've seen. Would be pretty hard to keep a streak going and but they make up for it with 3 in 4 nights which is worse.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I swear the scheduling this year is ****ed up. We play like 3 games in 4 nights then don't play for a week

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

right? like - we play -then NOTHING for a week. then we play and then, NOTHING for it seemed like two weeks at one point (i know that's not true) - then we had a 3 in 4, and then another week off. it's so weird

just taking a look at the schedule, it's basically bizarro-world until January, then it's somewhat normal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Babcock said Reimer starting. Reimer said that he'll see how it feels tomorrow.

:confused:

Babcock just said he expects Reimer to be ready for tomorrow, and said that he's not a doctor, physiologist, or the media (lol) and that he's just the coach, and until he's told otherwise he expects a player to go.

Reimer was just saying he's still feeling some pain and he'll see how he feels tomorrow.

He'll tell the doctors/trainers, and they'll tell Babcock, and Babcock will make the necessary adjustments, if any.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm really enjoying the games this year so much more than last year.

Said it before and i'll say it again, I don't care how many game we win, i just appreciate they look and play like a team.

I certainly agree the breaks are driving me crazy - it's so long between games. I also agree though that - in a strange way because of where we are in the rebuild/whatever it's called stage - that in a way, practice time, or like daisy suggested - just down time in any way - deflects attention and I think only helps MB and crew actually work on things in practices a bit more than a team can normally do.

But, assume the after xmas and later in the schedule there won't be any more 4 or 5 days between games.

Speaking of which, for a change perhaps, we get the Caps on the back half of a back to back; they play the Lightning Friday, so, we've got that going for us - i guess.

Edit: Daisy - is there any news on Polak's injury since obviously if he's hurting a bit, that would be perhaps a situation where they could go to Corrado - same shot same side.
Though, would MB be okay with a Corrado/Harrington or a Corrado/Marincin pairing, or would he maybe move Hunwick down or something like that?

Haven't head anything. (I didn't even know that Polak was injured)

Babcock just said he expects Reimer to be ready for tomorrow, and said that he's not a doctor, physiologist, or the media (lol) and that he's just the coach, and until he's told otherwise he expects a player to go.

Reimer was just saying he's still feeling some pain and he'll see how he feels tomorrow.

He'll tell the doctors/trainers, and they'll tell Babcock, and Babcock will make the necessary adjustments, if any.

:laugh: i just heard that. I'm not the media :laugh:

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Leaf to watch tonight is Joffrey Lupul. 8 Goals in 21 Games played. 3 more and he beats his pitiful total from last year. Lupul has broke 20 goals every season he has been with the Leafs outside of the shortened year (16GP, 11G) and last year (55GP, 10G). For a guy that is being shopped, that total is going to be huge for the Leafs when contender teams like Nashville (Neal is the only forward with more then 3 goals), Pittsburgh (Only Malkin [8], KEssel [7], Crosby [5] and Hornqvist[4] have more then 3 goals), Los Angeles, or Arizona.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Sorry for an off topic question.

In the past, either the Leafs homepage or NHL homepage had a menu or someplace to find all hockey transactions such as players on waivers or trades etc etc etc.

I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE NOW.

Anywhere know where the menu is on the Leafs page or any site that lists all hockey transactions.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Maple Leafs-Washington Capitals: Saturday game preview

Russian sniper Alexander Ovechkin leads the Caps' high-powered offence into the ACC Saturday night.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ashington-capitals-saturday-game-preview.html

By: Mark Zwolinski Sports reporter, Published on Fri Nov 27 2015

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

Radio: Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Key matchup:Evgeny Kuznetsov vs. Leafs D.

Kuznetsov has 24 points, four more than Alexander Ovechkin for the team lead in scoring. He centres a powerful second line with Marcus Johansson and Justin Williams. That line will be a handful for the Leafs’ second defensive pairing of Dion Phaneuf and Jake Gardiner.

Top line: Ovechkin scored just his second power-play goal of the season Wednesday in a win over Winnipeg, but linemate and centre Niklas Backstrom is helping the line’s performance, along with winger T.J. Oshie. In his last five games, Backstrom has posted six points as the Capitals have gone 4-1-0. He has also assisted goal No. 484 for Ovie, which made Ovechkin the highest-scoring Russian born player in NHL history.

Hot keeper:Braden Holtby is one of the top goalies in the NHL. He brings a 13-4 record, with a 1.95 GAA and .924 save percentage, to the Air Canada Centre.

Local boy: Toronto-born Tom Wilson slides into the high-octane Capitals on the fourth line, filling the enforcer role. He has become, in two years, one of the best agitators in the NHL. He doesn’t have a goal yet this season but is a key part of a very good Capitals team.

Up next: Monday at ACC, vs. Edmonton Oilers, 7:30 p.m., Sportsnet

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Leaf to watch tonight is Joffrey Lupul. 8 Goals in 21 Games played. 3 more and he beats his pitiful total from last year. Lupul has broke 20 goals every season he has been with the Leafs outside of the shortened year (16GP, 11G) and last year (55GP, 10G). For a guy that is being shopped, that total is going to be huge for the Leafs when contender teams like Nashville (Neal is the only forward with more then 3 goals), Pittsburgh (Only Malkin [8], KEssel [7], Crosby [5] and Hornqvist[4] have more then 3 goals), Los Angeles, or Arizona.

You lost me right here :laugh:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Going to the office Christmas party tonight... gonna miss the game :(

But I will be recording it and watching it when I get home!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I read that too but tonight we play the Caps and they are on a back to back, while we have't played since Monday, in the loss to Boston.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
No Problem Daisy, I'll see if I can get the line-up, after the morning skate and hopefully Corrado will make his debut.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad