The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Its funny what (can't remember his name) said on the NFL network

he was within inches of getting traded and having his contract reworked
then OBJ signed

and the entire deal fell apart as hopkins refused to rework his contract after seeing what OBJ was getting paid.

life is in timing.
Not sure if it's the same report but it's been heavily hinted at that the Chiefs were very close to making a deal for him. Albert Breer reported it as well today in a good article breaking down Hopkins' whole situation:

"Kansas City made progress toward a deal, but things went a little sideways when Odell Beckham Jr. got $15 million in base pay from Baltimore, making Hopkins feel like he should land at least that much, given that Beckham didn’t play last year. The Chiefs wound up giving free-agent left tackle Donovan Smith a deal structured similarly to the offer they made Hopkins, which will make it more difficult for Kansas City to circle back."

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure if it's the same report but it's been heavily hinted at that the Chiefs were very close to making a deal for him. Albert Breer reported it as well today in a good article breaking down Hopkins' whole situation:

"Kansas City made progress toward a deal, but things went a little sideways when Odell Beckham Jr. got $15 million in base pay from Baltimore, making Hopkins feel like he should land at least that much, given that Beckham didn’t play last year. The Chiefs wound up giving free-agent left tackle Donovan Smith a deal structured similarly to the offer they made Hopkins, which will make it more difficult for Kansas City to circle back."
Smith makes $2.76 mill this year plus $60K per game he's on the roster,

I couldn't see DHop dropping down to that little.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Would love him in Atlanta. Tons of offensive weapons and slinging some money around. Not sure if he'd be excited about catching a rookie QB in a run-heavy offense though.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Smith makes $2.76 mill this year plus $60K per game he's on the roster,

I couldn't see DHop dropping down to that little.
I don't think he would either, I think it was more about the actual structure of the deal (i.e. making it incentive laden like Smith or Juju last year) less than the actual money associated with the deal. Regardless, unless they manage to extend Chris Jones they're not going to be able to afford him one way or the other.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Looks like it's Chiefs vs Bills for his services.
Sounds like the Chiefs were close to trading for him with the stipulation that he revise his contract. Then OBJ signed and that changed DHops mind in terms of what he thought his value was, being at the OBJ level. He was scheduled to make $19 mill, but no more guaranteed money. Cards just eating the remaining unapplied signing bonuses and restructure.

He's going to have to come off that OBJ number if he wants to sign with a better team. If he wants to make money, there are other options to get him paid 8 figures I would imagine.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems like he just wants to be paid atm, which isn't an issue.
Must be a sizeable difference for him to not want to play with a better team. He's made enough that he could take less, but sometimes pride and ego in terms of what you feel you can still do, you want that reflected in your pay.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad