Cut/Released: DeAndre Hopkins

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I dont see why Cards are doing this

I mean cutting him in June would have been better financially for them, right?
Well, factoring in that Murray will miss like half the season, the Cards may be positioning themselves to draft a QB in 2024. Their roster doesn’t look very good.

Not sure what the dead cap they will incur trading Murray next off season so, if they have the room to absorb the dead cap from DHop this season that’s probably why they made it a Pre June designation.

I think this is a sign that DHop wanted something extra in his contract. Typical when guys are around age 30. I think he was done all of his guaranteed money.

Only main difference in the post June designation is being able to split the dead cap like $8/9 mill in 2023 and $12/13 mill in 2024. Again with murray and the prospect of a couple of coveted QBs on 2024 draft AZ probably taking their lumps this year and next to clear their cap situation.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Well, factoring in that Murray will miss like half the season, the Cards may be positioning themselves to draft a QB in 2024. Their roster doesn’t look very good.

Not sure what the dead cap they will incur trading Murray next off season so, if they have the room to absorb the dead cap from DHop this season that’s probably why they made it a Pre June designation.

I think this is a sign that DHop wanted something extra in his contract. Typical when guys are around age 30. I think he was done all of his guaranteed money.

Only main difference in the post June designation is being able to split the dead cap like $8/9 mill in 2023 and $12/13 mill in 2024. Again with murray and the prospect of a couple of coveted QBs on 2024 draft AZ probably taking their lumps this year and next to clear their cap situation.

For a cut

If pre June 1 it would be 81.5 M

Post June 1 it would be 48M for 2024, and 33M for 2025

For a trade 46M pre June 1 and 13m in 24/33m in 25 post June 1

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Now two teams (although the Bill O'Brien led Texans may not count in full) have let go Hopkins surprisingly easy; obviously no other team really wanted to get him. There must be some issues with him; his PED suspension did not help either.

However, from a pure performance standpoint I would absolutely love him on the Lions. They could use WR help after Chark left and Williams was suspended. Hopkins will not sign for the minimum, but the Lions do have more cap space than almost 30 other teams...

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: DaaaaB's

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Now two teams (although the Bill O'Brien led Texans may not count in full) have let go Hopkins surprisingly easy; obviously no other team really wanted to get him. There must be some issues with him; his PED suspension did not help either.

However, from a pure performance standpoint I would absolutely love him on the Lions. They could use WR help after Chark left and Williams was suspended. Hopkins will not sign for the minimum, but the Lions do have more cap space than almost 30 other teams...

Gruß,
BSHH
Logically it would have to be his contract. At his age no team is giving him anymore significant guaranteed money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For a cut

If pre June 1 it would be 81.5 M

Post June 1 it would be 48M for 2024, and 33M for 2025

For a trade 46M pre June 1 and 13m in 24/33m in 25 post June 1
Obviously, AZ is going to eat the dead cap from his remaining signing bonuses which they have not taken. Think that is $17.5 mill. Not sure how they figure Amit’s a $46 mill dead capS. There is an option cap charge of $7.2 mill for another 4 seasons from 2024 onwards which is $28.8 mill. So those 2 added together get to $46.2 mill.

Guess that means that they paid him that option money already? I would have thought those got paid in the year they applied against the cap. Guess I was wrong about that.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
..factoring in that Murray will miss like half the season, the Cards may be positioning themselves to draft a QB in 2024. Their roster doesn’t look very good.
Definitely a possibility.. & nothing the Cardinals do ever surprises, or disappoints me because I've been following their ineptitude for decades (going back to their NFC East, Busch stadium days).
I actually think they have a good low-risk investment in their 5th round QB- Tune. I hope he's given some kinda chance, because I believe he has decent NFL potential. But I can see Arizona completely overlooking Tune, then chasing an(other) expensive QB bust. We'll see..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Definitely a possibility.. & nothing the Cardinals do ever surprises, or disappoints me because I've been following their ineptitude for decades (going back to their NFC East, Busch stadium days).
I actually think they have a good low-risk investment in their 5th round QB- Tune. I hope he's given some kinda chance, because I believe he has decent NFL potential. But I can see Arizona completely overlooking Tune, then chasing an(other) expensive QB bust. We'll see..
Nfc west faces the nfc East and Afc north. Plus AZ gets Chi, Atl, and Hou. Season pretty pending the health and return of Kyler. McCoy is a solid backup but anything more than 4 starts from him at this point is asking for a lot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cards actually save $7 mill of cap space. Was due to make $19 million this season in base salary and count $30 million against the cap. So, the Cards save cash. Apparently, DHop wasn't prepared to rework his deal given that OBJ got a good chunk of guaranteed money so he wasn't going to want to take less than that.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I could see the Cowboys being interested in Hopkins before they picked up Brandin Cooks. Now - probably not.
Contractually DHop is looking to match the OBJ deal. That’s why he was not traded. Due $19 mill and teams didn’t want to pay him that.

Between suspension and injury which teams want him at that price?

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I could see the Cowboys being interested in Hopkins before they picked up Brandin Cooks. Now - probably not.
Cowboys definitely should have been interested if they didn't trade for Cooks, but I'd rather them use the money elsewhere at this point. Lamb-Cooks-Gallup is a great trio.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Its funny what (can't remember his name) said on the NFL network

he was within inches of getting traded and having his contract reworked
then OBJ signed

and the entire deal fell apart as hopkins refused to rework his contract after seeing what OBJ was getting paid.

life is in timing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babe Ruth

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its funny what (can't remember his name) said on the NFL network

he was within inches of getting traded and having his contract reworked
then OBJ signed

and the entire deal fell apart as hopkins refused to rework his contract after seeing what OBJ was getting paid.

life is in timing.
Yep. That team making the offer should have gotten it done sooner. AZ would still be eating some dead cap with the trade. Just how it works.

Must mean that DHop was asked to go down to well under $15 mill that OBJ got guaranteed. If it was at $13/14 mill I doubt he backs out of the deal.

Often players get cut because they can't or won't redo their contract. It's a way for them to gain free agency. But, timing is everything as well. Teams can always redo contracts to add players, but the market shrinks after free agency has begun.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Yep. That team making the offer should have gotten it done sooner. AZ would still be eating some dead cap with the trade. Just how it works.

Must mean that DHop was asked to go down to well under $15 mill that OBJ got guaranteed. If it was at $13/14 mill I doubt he backs out of the deal.

Often players get cut because they can't or won't redo their contract. It's a way for them to gain free agency. But, timing is everything as well. Teams can always redo contracts to add players, but the market shrinks after free agency has begun.
It also doesn't help that the two teams that make the most logical sense have next to no cap space, so he'd have to take a lot less if he wants a specific team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For the $15 mill that he wants to match OBJ, only way to make the cap work is to give him a multi year deal and a SB to push cap into future years. Question is whether DHop is going to be worth it with his injuries and suspension?

Do a 3 year term and make $12 mill as a SB thus move $8 mill into future years. And rework another veteran’s contract if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad