Rumor: Dean Kukan to sign with Zurich Lions (NLA)

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
(it‘s in German, sorry)

Family planning also contributed to the decision. Kukan will become a father for the second time in September. "It's easier in Europe with two children. It all fits together." The contract with his new club has already been signed, he was not allowed to say more. However, the signs clearly point to the ZSC Lions. Anyway, he will still spend the summer in Sweden, in Pitea.

In any case, his entire focus is now on the World Cup in Finland. In the first four games he played for an average of 20:19 minutes, making him number 1 in the Swiss team. That's not surprising, since he plays rock solid, which he attributes to his time in North America. "If you don't know how to defend, you can't play in the NHL," says Kukan. National coach Patrick Fischer is impressed by his calmness at the target. "I have the impression that he sees everything, at least he's never stressed. You can tell he's been in the NHL for a long time, he's doing his part sensationally well
." (Via Google Translate)

This was also announced on Swiss TV, so it should be a done deal, but I tagged it as rumor as a full on official statement hasn‘t been released just yet.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm sure there would have been a lot of clubs interested in Kukan as a bottom pair guy if he wanted to stay in the NHL. His ability to skate the puck is hard to find.

He just really preferred to play in Switzerland. It's his home rink, beautiful first class city, big money, big minutes.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If I recall correctly your NHL pension gets increased to something like 50-60K USD per year after 150 games. Kukan has 153 nhl games played. Pension starting at 60 years old or less than 50K if you start collecting early at 45 years old.

Wonder if that has factored in at all with him meeting that threshold. Of course he will be compensated nicely in Switzerland.

If anyone is more knowledgeable on NHL pensions and cares to share I'm interested

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad