Confirmed with Link: Dean Brown signs 7-year deal as voice of Sens on TSN1200

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's a great find! I had no idea that they ever did a Top 10 on this. That clip from the Texas high school football game gets run out there by someone at least a few times a year in different forms - it's a classic...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'll back you up on that one. Gord in particular is the worst when it comes to the whining. I'll be listening on the radio and you would think that an opposing player had just removed a Senators player's spleen with his stick in plain view of the official with the way Gord goes on and on. Come home, check the PVR, and you don't have a clue which game Gord was watching. I get that the home team's radio broadcast team are going to wave the pom poms occasionally, but it gets a little much sometimes.

Try watching some Canucks regional games with their home guys. You'd think everything in the game was a conspiracy against Vancouver. :laugh:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Schreiber > Brown

I totally agree however his tenure was almost over and as much as I like Jakubec's personality more than Brown he isn't nearly as strong.

As long as Brown sticks to radio I am happy, the guys that TSN will have doing the television games are much stronger.

Spex

Feb 2, 2009
I don’t listen to the radio much, but when I do I’ve generally like this pairing.

Curious about the business side of this though…are Dean and Gord employees of the Sens or TSN? Also, how much do you guys think these guys make per year/per game?

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
It's a demotion but there is a bright side: He can come to work unshaven, unshowered and just generally soiled, a la Bruce Garrioch.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's a demotion but there is a bright side: He can come to work unshaven, unshowered and just generally soiled, a la Bruce Garrioch.

Hahahahahaha.

I was hoping he'd get picked up by sportsnet but I guess that isn't happening.

ErikNorrisson

Mar 22, 2012
I'm glad Dean at least received offers to stay on TV because I think he is one of the better PBP guys in the league (when he's not chatting it up with a presumably drunk Potvin). Now, back to where it all began.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I'm glad Dean at least received offers to stay on TV because I think he is one of the better PBP guys in the league (when he's not chatting it up with a presumably drunk Potvin). Now, back to where it all began.

Dean has been around a long time calling Sens games and I am happy to see him back..However I am a big fan of Potvin and am sorry he wont be calling the Sens anymore because his observations were interesting and entertaining.

Dean and Gord can be okay together but they lose their way too often and ramble on
and miss what is going on in the game.If they could stick to the game they would be fine.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I just don't like the way they call for a penalty every time a Sens player is touched while claiming that every Sens penalty is illegitimate. It greatly contributes to the ridiculous notion around here that the referees have it out for the Sens.

I agree with you. I want factual accurate commentary, not BS.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Best Dean Brown call ever:

Edit: This next video is Dean and Gord in a nutshell. Even back in the day they used to chit chat over the play, then the unbridled passion for the team and joy of seeing them succeed would take over:

OT: Anyone remember when they had that awesome BANG/explosion at the Corel Centre (0:12)? But then they stopped because Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Just curious but how much is his salary for these kind of contracts?

Him and Gord Wilson together is absolutely horrible though.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'll probably listen to the games on radio and even at home along with the TV if the 2 are close enough in sync. I don't mind Dean chatting it up when it's a TV broadcast where I can see the action but on radio he has to stick to calling the play and providing a more detailed description about the players on the ice, the flow of the game and location of the puck. I hate it when I'm listening in the car and something exciting happens such as....the puck is in the opposing end, Deans spins one of his unrelated off topic long yarns, a goal is scored and you assume it's by the Sens but the play has had time to move up the ice and it's against them. Other than that I enjoy the familiar voice and don't mind one bit when he is a homer calling the regional games mainly to an Ottawa audience. The Toronto centric announcers are far worse when they do it on national broadcasts.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Thank God Almighty, that means he isn't gonna be anywhere near TV for next 7 years. This is some of the best news ever.

Also, Schreiber is way better for Radio but whatever.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Edit: This next video is Dean and Gord in a nutshell. Even back in the day they used to chit chat over the play, then the unbridled passion for the team and joy of seeing them succeed would take over:

OT: Anyone remember when they had that awesome BANG/explosion at the Corel Centre (0:12)? But then they stopped because Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!

That first link gives me shivers, that was one of the biggest moments in the history of the franchise and Brown nailed that call.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto

LOL I never knew they had that bang.That's awesome...and hilarious. Must've scared the hell outta so many newbies.

A shame they took it away. it's certainly unique.

Anyone got the Dean Brown call of the Alfie goal in game 5 (radio)? Been looking but can't find it. It's definitely my favourite

Last edited:

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
That's a great find! I had no idea that they ever did a Top 10 on this. That clip from the Texas high school football game gets run out there by someone at least a few times a year in different forms - it's a classic...
That's why it made it to #1 on the top 10 and it will never get old. I can't stop laughing when the colour guy says God bless those kids, I'm sick and I'm gonna throw up.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Good play by play calling and home town celebration chat! I like that. I hate it when announcers stop focusing on the game and chitchat while the play is on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad