Deadline for QO

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I guess they sit tight and wait for the agent to either accept the QO or they declare them RFA.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
and the players continue to have as much time as they want to accept the offers?

there should be a deadline where the team who has issued the QO maintains the rights but not longer is obligated to offer the QO amount if it has not been accepted.

the player should not have an indefinite period before the QO has to be accepted, they dont in the NHL, why here?

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
and the players continue to have as much time as they want to accept the offers?

there should be a deadline where the team who has issued the QO maintains the rights but not longer is obligated to offer the QO amount if it has not been accepted.

the player should not have an indefinite period before the QO has to be accepted, they dont in the NHL, why here?

The GM has the option of withdrawing a QO before the plater accepts it and I might as well add that one is forcing GM to offer a QO.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
The GM has the option of withdrawing a QO before the plater accepts it and I might as well add that one is forcing GM to offer a QO.

first off, let me state i have no horse in this race as I have no RFA to QO.

that said:

1) once a QO is put forward, it stands and can not be retracted
2) the point i am making is that once the QO is offered, the player should have a reasonable time to accept it. if they pass thinking there is a better off in the market, the team that issued the QO should still maintain that players rights and no longer is obligated to the QO amount.

this isnt about anything other than a fair and equitable process. the player has no risk if they QO is open ended until they feel like accepting it.

in the NHL, the player has a period to accept it and then the QO is no longer on the table, why isnt it like that in our league?

Cartered

Jul 23, 2007
Is there any form of salary arbitration if the player and the team holding his rights can't come to an agreement?

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
first off, let me state i have no horse in this race as I have no RFA to QO.

that said:

1) once a QO is put forward, it stands and can not be retracted
2) the point i am making is that once the QO is offered, the player should have a reasonable time to accept it. if they pass thinking there is a better off in the market, the team that issued the QO should still maintain that players rights and no longer is obligated to the QO amount.

this isnt about anything other than a fair and equitable process. the player has no risk if they QO is open ended until they feel like accepting it.

in the NHL, the player has a period to accept it and then the QO is no longer on the table, why isnt it like that in our league?

I am okay with this as long as the player can go on you prospect list and is able to sign with any teams. We have seen this happen in NHL so why not HFNHL. I think you also need to realize we have 2 agents dealing with 900 players.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Not sure I understand what you're saying here, Hasnain. Could you explain it in more detail, please?

<--- Daddy brain

What I am saying is that you can pull the QO before June 30th and the player becomes UFA. I have given each team till midnight of June 30th to submit their QO and will take couple of days to put the list together and than the free agency starts. I don't know how much time is a lot of time for players being offered QO.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
I am okay with this as long as the player can go on you prospect list and is able to sign with any teams. We have seen this happen in NHL so why not HFNHL. I think you also need to realize we have 2 agents dealing with 900 players.

if its a matter of the workload, then i support whatever decision is necessary to streamline the labour burden.

however, i think in this case its just a matter of process that has been overlooked.

no, if the QO is not accepted, im suggesting the option to honour that contract now becomes at the teams discretion. if they do not choose to honour the QO after the deadline, then they will have to negotiate a new deal with the agent and until that time the player is on the prospect list. however, the team should not lose his rights. the rights were protected by offering the QO to begin with.

am i the only one who is following this? i will back down if its of no interest to anyone else.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
if its a matter of the workload, then i support whatever decision is necessary to streamline the labour burden.

however, i think in this case its just a matter of process that has been overlooked.

no, if the QO is not accepted, im suggesting the option to honour that contract now becomes at the teams discretion. if they do not choose to honour the QO after the deadline, then they will have to negotiate a new deal with the agent and until that time the player is on the prospect list. however, the team should not lose his rights. the rights were protected by offering the QO to begin with.

am i the only one who is following this? i will back down if its of no interest to anyone else.

I am not saying that the team losses their matching rights but the player should have the right to sign with any teams that he chooses to do so. We see this in NHL so why not in HFNHL.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
I am not saying that the team losses their matching rights but the player should have the right to sign with any teams that he chooses to do so. We see this in NHL so why not in HFNHL.

agreed, nothing changes in respect to the players RFA rights, but he no longer has the QO to fall back on. its something for the player to weigh before he lets the deadline pass.

Cartered

Jul 23, 2007
I think Robb's saying that with no deadline for the player to accept the QO, there's no reason for him not to wait and see if a better offer comes from another team. In real life, a player would have to either sign the qualifying offer or risk not getting an offer period. The QO shouldn't be a guarantee that the player can fall back on whenever he wants. If there's no deadline on the player to take the QO, that player effectively has all the leverage. Players would be a lot less adventurous in expecting offers from other teams if the QO wasn't guaranteed to be on the table at all times.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I think Robb's saying that with no deadline for the player to accept the QO, there's no reason for him not to wait and see if a better offer comes from another team. In real life, a player would have to either sign the qualifying offer or risk not getting an offer period. The QO shouldn't be a guarantee that the player can fall back on whenever he wants. If there's no deadline on the player to take the QO, that player effectively has all the leverage. Players would be a lot less adventurous in expecting offers from other teams if the QO wasn't guaranteed to be on the table at all times.

I know exactly what Robb is saying and I have no issue with it because most of the QO are for players who have not played a single game in the NHL. However, when you see a player being offered a QO which is much less than his NHL salary than there is an issue and other teams are hesitant to move forward with offering RFA contract due backlashing or they don't want to give up high draft picks. Last season, we lost one GM because he wasn't aware that his players were offered RFA offers and the other was hated by everyone for signing anyone who could move.

I think GM has a lot more to lose if a player goes to prospect list because as soon as he shows some promise he will be offered much higher contract by other GM if he is exposed as unsigned RFA.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
I think GM has a lot more to lose if a player goes to prospect list because as soon as he shows some promise he will be offered much higher contract by other GM if he is exposed as unsigned RFA.

its a perfect blend of risk for both parties which is part of the gamesmanship we all seek.

thanks, good discussion!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
First of all Robb, you've brought this up now multiple times over the last several seasons (based on some past frustration as I recall). I have to say, it's getting a tad old.

But since it's been brought up again, let's run through it again.

The first point, is as Hasnain has said, the agents have lives, volunteer a tremendous amount of time, and it simply makes it a lot easier to have all of the QO's come in, then deal with them in one fell swoop before free agency starts. In the NHL, players have, like, these agents who work full time and everything. That's the first reason we don't work exactly like the NHL. It's these volunteer agents, I might add, that allow GM's like you that have never volunteered time to help, enjoy this league (only dig, I promise).

Regardless, this does not stop a team from making other offers to the player before they become a potential RFA.

Regarding why the QO should stand for a lengthy period, is as follows...

Following the beginning of free agency, it takes a few rounds to run through multiple offers. This takes several weeks at least, and often isn't sorted out for a month or more. Many of these offers involve potential RFA offer sheets, but they are prioritized, so many are not signed in the first round, and even in the second round. And it's not until the second round is complete, that teams consider offer sheets given they don't know where their roster stands yet. In the NHL, this is much more free-wheeling and dynamic process and we simply can't replicate this to have a timeline on the QO's that perhaps they have in the NHL (does anyone know the timeline anyway?).

Either way, it takes some time. Last year as an example, there were RFA offer sheets that were signed in the second round of free agency, and given that teams get a period of time to either match or not, these weren't sorted out until September.

At that time, the agents are doing a final look at QO's and other offers that came in from teams that they are now seriously considering. The reality is this is a time when teams sign the remaining RFA's to very reasonable (i.e low) deals, because the player has lost all leverage. As agents, we don't play hard ball at this time, but rather focus on getting people signed.

You've been a round sevaral years, so I'm surprised you haven't figured this out (ok, one more dig, sorry).

So should the QO offer stand forever? No. But Sept 15th seems like a reasonable date at least. After that, perhaps sending the player to the prospect list might make sense. But here's the thing - that HAS been done before, and it doesn't really matter in reality, because the players who will sign their QO's will have by that point, so you might as well put them on your prospect list or increase your offer (those are few and far between).

Does that make sense? Can we put a bullet in this sucker yet? :)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Am I to understand that the suggestion is that the player loses the guaranteed minimum contract amount if he doesn't accept ht eQO?

For example, I have one remaining RFA, Scottie Upshall. His current HFNHL contract is $1.5M, so I can retain his rights by offering him a QO of 1 year at $1.5M.

If for some reason he chooses not to accept that offer, then as of June 30 he becomes an RFA -- but an RFA who can no longer automatically fall back on my initial QO of 1yr/$1.5M... so if he out on the market as an RFA, and nobody offers him more, then I'm no longer bound by the $1.5 M and can attempt to re-sign him for less than that?

(Of course, with Upshall, there won't be any lack of RFA offers if he in fact does not sign an extension with Columbus prior to July 1st, but you get what I'm asking.)

Brent Burns Beard