Deadliest Mass Shooting in US History

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
One love

Seen the usual idiotic comments on social media about thoughts and prayers. One genius "praying for the world to be a better place" - yeah praying will definitely make it so, instead of actually doing something

You're under the assumption that they aren't actually doing anything. I don't think any one public statement about one's intent to pray is going to make much difference, but they don't deserve your condemnation for it either. Prayers and action aren't mutually exclusive, but your comment does more to draw negativity to the situation than it does to actually make positive change.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I don't know about that; I think it's more about some people craving a significance or influence that they might not enjoy elsewhere to the extent they would like.

The biggest irony is the intolerance shown towards some people by people who proclaim to revile intolerance. Champions of freedom of speech as long as it conforms to their own world view or ideals, regardless of what side of the fence they sit on.

There's nothing worse than hypocrisy.

I've got mixed feelings about the Politics board. I do learn things there, some of them important - but, as you said, the intolerance there is horrible, particularly among the "champions of tolerance". If you disagree with a viewpoint, even if you would defend someones' right to have it, you are either a moron or a bigot, depending on the topic and what side of the argument you're on.

There are some genuinely smart and insightful people there - and there's a lot of pseudo-intellectualism and name calling being weakly passed off as enlightenment.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Really sad story this morning about the texts between a mother and her son who was hiding in the bathroom. Such a terrible situation, the dread the mother must have felt not bring able to help her son.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Really sad story this morning about the texts between a mother and her son who was hiding in the bathroom. Such a terrible situation, the dread the mother must have felt not bring able to help her son.

My stomach sank just reading your post on that. I would definitely not be able to handle reading those texts.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Absolutely agree. Political discourse in America is dead. It's reverted to name calling and thinking everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot or a nazi.

It is. Felt like any reasonable debates died around 2000. After that, both sides have been spewing toxic pollutants into the water, and I'm not sure if it'll ever be reversed.

It's why it's tough for me to be active any more in political topics. It degrades way too quick.

It's heartbreaking.
That interview with a mother, not sure if it was the same one, crying outside the club was very tough to watch.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Truely awful that someone could do this. Heartbreaking.

Not to take away from this awful tragedy, but Wounded Knee was the deadliest mass shooting on US soil.

That was a "battle" and in this case I believe it is the largest mass shooting by a single individual.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Another terrible mass shooting. This one stings as it's pretty close to home and I have good friends that live in Orlando.

R.I.P. to all those effected.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I found it a little strange there were no posts here or there about 'The Voice' singer who just got murdered. Is it that in this day and age there are a hell of a lot more inadequate and alienated people with poor rationalisation or impulse control out there or is it just easier for those types to lash out and victimise people?

It's seemingly always the work of losers.

Sadly these sorts of things are going to be more and more commonplace. Between mental illness, impressionable outcasts craving vengeance, pharmaceuticals causing psychosis, and the 24-hour news-cycle...there are simply too many lunatics, weapons and mass-gatherings to prevent these forces from converging in a horrifying and tragic manner.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I found it a little strange there were no posts here or there about 'The Voice' singer who just got murdered. Is it that in this day and age there are a hell of a lot more inadequate and alienated people with poor rationalisation or impulse control out there or is it just easier for those types to lash out and victimise people?

It's seemingly always the work of losers.

I believe in Cristina Grimmies case this was a person who came to the show simply to cause harm to her individually. The story I read was that he had no interest in anyone else.

This shooting in Orlando blows me away. The stories from those at the club are simply heartbreaking. I too read that story of the texts to her son. Insanity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad