Prospect Info: Dawson Mercer (#18 pick - 2020 draft)

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Congratulations to Dawson Mercer on making the New Jersey Devils out of training camp. We're about to see the debut of a tremendous player who has the potential to be a franchise cornerstone for many, many years.

Prior to the 2020 draft, I ranked Mercer far higher than the consensus because of my emphasis on hockey IQ and compete level, both of which are absolutely elite in Dawson. When the Devils drafted him at #18, we celebrated how lucky the team was to have had such a tremendous prospect fall to them. A few eyebrows may have been raised when I proclaimed I felt Mercer was the Devils #1 prospect and a top 10 prospect in the entire league. Now? I have full confidence that Dawson Mercer is on the verge of proving all the believers right.

Dawson Mercer is going to be a truly special player for a very long time.

I have been asking for multiple 1st round picks in a single draft during our rebuild and the year my wish was finally granted, we knocked it out of the park with Holtz and Mercer with Shaq still being a question mark for now.

I honestly think that Mercer has the chance to be a Patrick Elias type of player for us moving forward and that’s saying a lot since Patty is one, if not the best player to represent our franchise. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Mercer will have the career Elias did, just that he’ll be a rock for us moving forward, maybe more so then Hughes or Hischier but that’s just my personal opinion.

I just think he has it all… offense, defence, high compete level, hockey IQ and work ethic. If he was a little taller, there’s no doubt in my mind he would’ve been picked in the top #10.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
mercer rookie of the year 35-1! lock it in!

If he’d be playing more of an offensive role, I’d take that bet any day of the week but Zegras and Caufield will get a boat load of opportunities offensively and we all know that offensive stats will declare the winner of the ROY.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’d put some money on that if he was playing wing with Jack or Nico. But if he can work his way on to the top PP unit, it’s possible.

this team is going to have to score goals the top line talent looks meh so if mercer is as good as he was in camp he will get the chances at the top of the lineup and in different situations.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just dropped a hundo at 28-1 on PointsBet…why the eff not?
You should've bought beer.

Now, don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to add a 3rd Calder Trophy to the Devils trophy case but with Caufield, Zegras, Byfield, Drysdale, Newhook all being in the running and older...I think Dawson is a long shot. Newhook would be were my money goes...For the situation he's going to be in with Colorado alone.

Reactions: Guttersniped

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

Now, don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to add a 3rd Calder Trophy to the Devils trophy case but with Caufield, Zegras, Byfield, Drysdale, Newhook all being in the running and older...I think Dawson is a long shot. Newhook would be were my money goes...For the situation he's going to be in with Colorado alone.
I’ll buy you a case of beer in June after the awards show…I hope lol

Reactions: JimEIV

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Byfield is hurt, maybe not coming back until 2022. Newhook looks like he will have trouble cracking the Avs line-up right now, and definitely not the top 6, though in an injury scenario he can be a staple in Colorado in a few months. Drysdale will have trouble because D are less likely to win the Calder, and he might have an ugly +/- due to a so-so team around him, which affects voting whether you believe in the stat or not. Moritz Seider is in the same boat as Drysdale, though these are both outstanding D going forward.

I would say my Calder race is Caufield v. Zegras if I were a betting man. Mercer will start the year with little league attention because he's in NJ, but he should get a lot of attention by the end of the year because it's not a stretch to see him exceed expectations and put up 40+ points while playing outstanding two-way hockey.

Reactions: Guadana and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Byfield is hurt, maybe not coming back until 2022. Newhook looks like he will have trouble cracking the Avs line-up right now, and definitely not the top 6, though in an injury scenario he can be a staple in Colorado in a few months. Drysdale will have trouble because D are less likely to win the Calder, and he might have an ugly +/- due to a so-so team around him, which affects voting whether you believe in the stat or not. Moritz Seider is in the same boat as Drysdale, though these are both outstanding D going forward.

I would say my Calder race is Caufield v. Zegras if I were a betting man. Mercer will start the year with little league attention because he's in NJ, but he should get a lot of attention by the end of the year because it's not a stretch to see him exceed expectations and put up 40+ points while playing outstanding two-way hockey.
No forward in the last 20+ years has won the Calder with less than 50 points in a full season. You have to go back to Chris Drury in 1998-99 who won the rookie race with 44 points to find a forward who had less than 50 points... Huberdeau won the Calder with 31 points in the lockout season of 2013. NHL Calder Memorial Trophy Winners | Hockey-Reference.com

I just don't think we have a potent enough offense for us to have a Calder trophy winner...I am not doubting Mercer's capability or ceiling...just it'll be real tough for a rookie on this team to generate enough offense to get a consideration is my thought.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
No forward in the last 20+ years has won the Calder with less than 50 points in a full season. You have to go back to Chris Drury in 1998-99 who won the rookie race with 44 points to find a forward who had less than 50 points... Huberdeau won the Calder with 31 points in the lockout season of 2013. NHL Calder Memorial Trophy Winners | Hockey-Reference.com

I just don't think we have a potent enough offense for us to have a Calder trophy winner...I am not doubting Mercer's capability or ceiling...just it'll be real tough for a rookie on this team to generate enough offense to get a consideration is my thought.
If Mercer is playing with Johnsson for long that would not bode well for his assist total.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don`t think Mercer in the place to win Calder.
3rd center is a tough job to win a calder. Especially if he will play full season with Johnsson. I can imagine if he will find chemistry with Nico or Jack as a right winger, and his center will have a big year - everything can goin on. But as a third line center - hard to imagine that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don`t think Mercer in the place to win Calder.
3rd center is a tough job to win a calder. Especially if he will play full season with Johnsson. I can imagine if he will find chemistry with Nico or Jack as a right winger, and his center will have a big year - everything can goin on. But as a third line center - hard to imagine that.

If he plays a full season with Johnsson he may ask to go back for an overage season in junior hockey.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Depression, alcoholism, antisocial behavior, but instead of Calder, he can get Bill Masterton.

He might have a better chance winning the Calder playing all season with you on his wing than Johnsson.

All kidding aside I’m really excited for him. If Johnsson can play close to a third line player that should help Mercer have success. I’m not concerned with a Calder season.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He might have a better chance winning the Calder playing all season with you on his wing than Johnsson.

All kidding aside I’m really excited for him. If Johnsson can play close to a third line player that should help Mercer have success. I’m not concerned with a Calder season.
I was a very good skating defenseman in my childhood. And was pretty good defensively. But My puck work did svck. Very hard.

The only award I want to see in his hand is SC. Other than that - great but not necessarily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad