Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

JackZap

May 7, 2009
MM hasn’t played a single minute and we are giving him the Art Ross. I did want the Habs to draft him but really, having that size in the back is key for playoffs. I’ve come to peace with it and keep telling myself that , need size for the playoffs (please don’t bust)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
70 points is very conservative for the best russian prospect ever. We could've just traded Caufield, anyway he doesn't seem to be any good any more. What if Michkov becomes Kane? What if he becomes Brière ? What if he becomes Kucherov ? What if he becomes Point ?

Why are you only using Gaudreau? Anyway, it's not like Gaudreau has been a "bad" playoff player with a better PPG than Johnston has now.
I like how people are saying Michkov isn't in the same category as a guy like Kane/Kucherov/Kaprizov but then go ahead and say that Reinbacher is comparable to Heiskanen/Weber/Josi.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Right, you said that Reinbacher won't be a top-3d of his era, which is what he needs to be to match Michkov, and that Fantilli and Carlson will be equivalent to Michkov.

OK but maybe I misread,

How good fo you think Reinbacher needs to be for the pick to be validated?
I don't think he will be good enough. He would need to be a McAvoy level defender, at least. Michkov I think has it in him to be a 100+ points forward. Kaprizov-like, what is that worth ?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't think he will be good enough. He would need to be a McAvoy level defender, at least. Michkov I think has it in him to be a 100+ points forward. Kaprizov-like, what is that worth ?
But you also said that Carlson and Fantilli are on the same level as Michkov. So are there four 100+ point forwards like Kaprizov in a single draft? Perhaps five with Smith?

That seems extremely unlikely.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
MM hasn’t played a single minute and we are giving him the Art Ross. I did want the Habs to draft him but really, having that size in the back is key for playoffs. I’ve come to peace with it and keep telling myself that , need size for the playoffs (please don’t bust)
I mean that size on the backend could have been addressed by drafting a dman this year in Dickinson/Levshunov/Silayev. Now we are actively avoiding those guys and drafting a forward instead.

Reactions: Garnet76

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
But you also said that Carlson and Fantilli are on the same level as Michkov. So are there four 100+ point forwards like Kaprizov in a single draft? Perhaps five with Smith?

2015 did it with McDavid, Marner, Rantanen, Kaprizov

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

A 6"2 #1 Center doesn't need to score 100 points to be on the same level as a smaller 100 point winger

I think we all take Barkov and Eichel over Nylander and Marner

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
70 points is very conservative for the best russian prospect ever. We could've just traded Caufield, anyway he doesn't seem to be any good any more. What if Michkov becomes Kane? What if he becomes Brière ? What if he becomes Kucherov ? What if he becomes Point ?

Why are you only using Gaudreau? Anyway, it's not like Gaudreau has been a "bad" playoff player with a better PPG than Johnston has now.
What if he becomes Yakopov?

Reactions: BLONG7

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
2015 did it with McDavid, Marner, Rantanen, Kaprizov
And Eichel and and Barzal and Connor, that was an exceptionally strong draft for forwards, and weak on D ! Good counterpoint. Mea culpa @Mrb1p , I guess we'll see.

IMO, the Habs perceived Reinbacher as a player who has the potential to be an excellent two-way dman on the right side of either the first or second pair. I think that's a good choice at #5.

70 points is very conservative for the best russian prospect ever.
If Michkov was clearly a better prospect than Ovechkin and Malkin, he should have been drafted either #1 or #2.

Yakupov was a lock to become a perennial 40-goal scorer, an obvious #1 and a legitimate #1.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I only answered in respect to a point you raised about Leonard only to find out that it was merely a rhetorical question to plunge us right back into the same tired arguments we’ve already both made at length.
It wasn't rhetorical at all, I legitimately asked why Ryan Leonard isn't the player the Habs community has decided it will be the sword they die on rather than Michkov?

The little i’ve seen from him, he seems to be the one guy looking back I wish we would have taken (though I'm not a fan of reaching such early conclusions on players so soon after the draft).

I’ve said my piece and have no appetite to revisit who passed on the guy and who didn’t and whose perception was reality and whose wasn’t.

I hope Reinbacher pans out regardless of what the other guy does.
Hey all I did was respond to your post where you suggested Michkov was in the same stratosphere, so I asked you what was a very fair follow up question.

Again, if Michkov was that close to Bedard, its bizarre he went 6 picks later and that every team who passed on Michkov and selecting a different player, is justified, EXCEPT for the Habs with Reinbacher, furthermore, no other player picked after Reinbacher seems to generate the same amount of regret as a guy that 90% of folks haven't even seen a single live game of.

I don't follow prospects as closely as many of you here do, these conversations are insightful for me. I'm looking to understand this Michkov debate, there's nothing rhetorical about what I've asked.

You have no appetite to answer that's fine, I join you in wishing/hoping Reinbacher was the right pick for this team moving forward.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What if Reinbacher becomes Griffin Reinhart? That's dumb. Yakupov and Michkov have no relation to each other aside from being 5'10 and russian. Yakupov has spent his entire career in the KHL now and he's never even came close to Michkov of last year, at 19.
And Eichel and and Barzal and Connor, that was an exceptionally strong draft for forwards, and weak on D ! Good counterpoint. Mea culpa @Mrb1p , I guess we'll see.

IMO, the Habs perceived Reinbacher as a player who has the potential to be an excellent two-way dman on the right side of either the first or second pair. I think that's a good choice at #5.

If Michkov was clearly a better prospect than Ovechkin and Malkin, he should have been drafted either #1 or #2.

Yakupov was a lock to become a perennial 40-goal scorer, an obvious #1 and a legitimate #1.
It's not really about Reinbacher. He is a fantastic player, as I've observed since last January when I started the hype train on him on this board. The problem is how they saw Michkov.

Michkov has outproduced both of them at all levels save for the NHL. I don't expect him to become a top ~20ish all time player like these two, but he's going to be great

JackZap

May 7, 2009
I mean that size on the backend could have been addressed by drafting a dman this year in Dickinson/Levshunov/Silayev. Now we are actively avoiding those guys and drafting a forward instead.

I agree. Aren’t most of the good D this year lefties ? Only that kid from the NCAA who’s a good righty ? Not following this years draft all that much. Let’s hope their sequence of drafting works out

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I agree. Aren’t most of the good D this year lefties ? Only that kid from the NCAA who’s a good righty ? Not following this years draft all that much. Let’s hope their sequence of drafting works out
Of the top 6 dmen, they're split right down the middle, though most have Parekh and Yakemchuk a bit lower than the 3 lefties.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
No way this isn't a massive failure of a draft pick, not just because of Michkov. Leonard sitting there as well and you draft by position? Total failure and yes they should have seen how much D is here this year to get a BETTER Dman than Reinbacher, without question. Who cares if Michkov comes next year , or the year after, how do you rebuild by failing to go with the consensus BPA which was never Reinbacher at 5.

WTF are the braintrust going to do this year at the draft? Should be worth a drink or two I'm guessing.
Poor Carey Price, his last time in the spotlight and even he can't believe who we are drafting lol

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I agree but I do think it's a bit funny that Hamrlik was the example you used given that he could and did put up big numbers if given the right situation. Reinbacher's not likely to get PP1 deployment so 0.5ppg is probably the most we should expect, same for Guhle. But even if they don't put up 60 points that doesn't mean they aren't elite simply because putting up those big numbers is as much about opportunity as it is talent.
Ryan suter comes to mind.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So there’s zero chance they’ll pick a D even he’s the BPA in their rankings? If both Demidov and Lindstrom are gonzo, Iginla or whoever will have to be deemed better than whatever D drops. That would give rise to an interesting outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad