Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm arguing against the notion that the Habs passed on drafting him exclusively, if he's as good as y'all claim he is, he wouldn't have been available for them to pass.

Point blank.

Also I wasn't aware that this was considered a mistake already.

And we drafted an all time bust in 2022.

Until we didn't.

Again, all due respect.

But y’all don't know shit (myself included )
He's not as good as we say it is. The point was that he was as good for us at where we were picking. For the fans of need and for the fans of BPA.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All due respect

F**k consensus cause the consensus almost always ends up being wrong.

Its ok to just allow things to play out and not prognosticate every single thing.

There's even a scenario where Michkov ends ups being amazing and Reinbacher still ends up being the right pick for the Montreal Canadiens.
With all due respect, you had 4 top rated centre prospects without the Russian factor attached to them, small wonder none of them fell to the Habs or that none of the four teams ahead of the Habs relinquished those opportunities for Michkov. Hardly a pass by them, is all I was suggesting.

There was a reason Habs desperately tried to nab one of those top 4 picks.

So this whole 6 teams passing on Michkov doesn’t do justice to the options on the board and how teams picking early are generally risk averse.

Consensus doesn’t always beget the best outcome however in this particular case, it was widely known that the Habs’ chances of nabbing one of the 4 top rated prospect centers were slim to none. And it wasn’t so much passing on Michkov as it appeared to me, it was about those talents they rated higher that were immediately available to them.

Plus, intel on Michkov at the time was sketchy and most teams had no viewings of him. Selecting others for those top 4 teams made sense in the circumstances.

To me, the first real pass was the Habs. They needed elite scoring badly and particularly from the forward position and yet they chose a D whose stock in trade is not offence.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Because of the only few reasons people were at ease with not picking the best player available was his date of arrival. Remove that...and what's left? What left between not picking a true offensive player vs a need on the back end that is still unknown especially in the offensive side of it.

So yes, there will be hissy fits and it's totally normal. I will bet also that there will be some amongst the scouting group. And yes, not only for us but for everybody that some teams will win at draft day, some teams will win based on how soon a prospect reach the NHL and does well. And some will win later based on how their prospect develop.

It's really nothing different. One day, we had won the Galchy draft. Till we didn't. One day, we had won the JK draft. Till we didn't. One day, we were stupid with the Price pick...till we didn't.

I wonder why this Mickhov thing seems new to some.....Yes, at that time, it looks a bad pick to go with Reinbacher. Yes, we were reassured based on maybe not seeing Michkov till 2026. Yes, it looks bad if finally Michkov could be in the NHL before Reinbacher. And yes, it might not feel as bad if Reinbacher plays a key role albeit on a 2nd pairing with us winning the Cup.....
Exactly lol and that's what kills me…even if absolutely nothing has changed in terms of what we know about the outcome of that 2023 draft, because he's now coming to North America and then “dream” he was going to rot away in some Russian gulag is dead.

Like come on lol

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
If Reinbacher was like that I highly doubt Hughes would have taken him 5th. Especially knowing next draft is loaded with first pairing Defensemen. Hughes passed on real good player in Leonard. He must seen a lot in Reinbacher
Or maybe our scouting staff isn't that great? :sarcasm:

We need to be patient. His mobility was definitely affected this season for many reasons. But it should come back to normal in the following seasons.

He's more dynamic than what he showed last year. He has all the tools to be a first pairing D.
He has a nagging knee issue, right? I wonder if that's affecting him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Things to play out? I enjoy making a call and actually putting myself out there, I enjoy scouting players.
And that's cool, your work providing insight in scouted players is appreciated, but it doesn't mean the team is wrong because they disagree.
I'll raise the irony of calling it done when it's convenient to you though. Is it written in stone that Slaf is going to be the best player in the draft?
I've said it when it didn't look good for him and ill say it now.

We won't know that for awhile, I know, sucks not to know this this very second.

But such is life

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Exactly lol and that's what kills me…even if absolutely nothing has changed in terms of what we know about the outcome of that 2023 draft, because he's now coming to North America and then “dream” he was going to rot away in some Russian gulag is dead.

Like come on lol
Well, again, it was one of the reasons why not picking him was fine. It was the only thing that made sense with not going with the BPA. Or even a need.

Mind you, I don't know what Michkov will do. I will not predict he'll flop or have 90 points. I'M solely talking about at the time of the pick. And Michkov being stuck there was, to us,the outside world, a criteria. Now, if that doesn't happen, if of all people, Michkov can come.....well I will be expecting Konyushkov to come too. Or any other russians we pick. From now on, that criteria won't exist anymore.

At least, it will have that good effect.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He has a nagging knee issue, right? I wonder if that's affecting him.

He was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease (or at least had issues that resembled that) and sustained a knee injury.

It always takes time for mobility to come back 100%. Should fix itself with good strengthening therapy.

He wasn't moving like himself last season. I expect him to begin in Laval, but make the team during the year and never look back.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Saying "other teams deserve blame too" is essentially excusing us from making the wrong selection.
No, its not, that's your interpretation.

Again, I stated a FACT, 6 teams did pass on him, that's all I stated.

Your subjective analysis of the 5 players picked ahead of him and the reason why it was OK for those teams to pass on him, but not the Habs.

Is just that, subjective, and not YET rooted in fact, unlike you and many others are attempting to say.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
mičkov :)

and demidov will probably be another one....
Demidov is 6'+

Yes. Michkov and Yakupov and a span of 13 years. Despite that, there's 7 russians in thr top 45 of scoring in that time frame, 2 of which were drafted in the top 10, none being smaller than 6.

If you can't see the clear bias against Russia and against size zi don't know what to tell you

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
demidov is 5 11

how many european players below 6' were drafted top 10 since 2012, beside mičkov and yakupov? i have found three: lucas raymond, william eklund and marco rossi. between 2012 and 2019 - zero.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's also a FACT that you said this:
EVERY single team that passed on Michkov should receive a ton of criticism if he ends up being better than the player’s their own team selected.
Which MEANS that we aren't the only ones who should receive blame if Michkov becomes better than who we drafted. So you're either saying that the Habs shouldn't be blamed because other teams made this mistake too OR that they should all be blamed. By definition, that means you are excusing it because others also made the same mistake. What other reason is there to state your fact? We are Habs fans here and we won't give a shit whether or not Arizona should receive criticism as well if Michkov pans out. Not to mention that the amount of criticism will definitely vary depending on the difference in player quality between who those 6 other teams picked and what Michkov becomes.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's also a FACT that you said this:

Which MEANS that we aren't the only ones who should receive blame if Michkov becomes better than who we drafted. So you're either saying that the Habs shouldn't be blamed because other teams made this mistake too OR that they should all be blamed. By definition, that means you are excusing it because others also made the same mistake. What other reason is there to state your fact? We are Habs fans here and we won't give a shit whether or not Arizona should receive criticism as well if Michkov pans out. Not to mention that the amount of criticism will definitely vary depending on the difference in player quality between who those 6 other teams picked and what Michkov becomes.
Yes notice how I wrote that they should be criticised when it becomes evident they made a mistake and not when amateur sleuth scouts who think the teams they cheer for should follow their draft list or else they're wrong?

Like everyone whining about the passing on picking Jiri Kulich in 2022.

Kept reading that, still waiting for that to come to pass.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I definitely didn't say this, who's fabricating stuff now?
I just want to reiterate because it seems you got things confused.

If Michkov becomes amazing, SEVERAL teams will have some explaining to do, not EXCLUSIVELY the Habs.

There was no excuse made for anyone.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
i get there is a bias against russians and small players. and there is a reason for that you can't win with all-midget team. and russia is little bit sus these days.

look at the dallas stars drafts in top two rounds since jim nill took over in 2013:

nichushkin 6 4
dickinson 6 2
elie 6 1
honka 5 11
pollock 6 3
hinz 6 3
gurianov 6 3
tufte 6 6
robertson 6 3
oettinger 6 6
heiskanen 6 2
eriksson 6 3
dellandrea 6 2
harley 6 4
bourque 5 10
grushnikov 6 2
stankoven 5 8
johnston 6 2
kyrou 5 11
bichsel 6 6
bertucci 6 2

only 4 out of 21 top picks were bellow 6 1. yet, he was able to secure quite a core.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad