Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You’ve identified the three top D’s IMO this year, but be honest, DR isn’t above any of those three. He is in the mix for a top 12, but even Silayev is getting picked before because of his mammoth size (moar size scouts won’t keep away). Parehk has like a zillion points so someone is biting. I guess Yakemchuk is below DR but he’s got his minions too :laugh:
I guess those “moar size scouts” have been watching the playoffs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Reinbacher was like that I highly doubt Hughes would have taken him 5th. Especially knowing next draft is loaded with first pairing Defensemen. Hughes passed on real good player in Leonard. He must seen a lot in Reinbacher

I don't know how much say/input Hughes has, I'm sure it's a lot but he's got 2 head scouts and Gorton.

But GM's overreach for size all the time. He's not what I would call an elite skater, which is what I would use if I thought he was a great skater. When I think of poise, I think of Jordan Harris, not Reinbacher. Smarts is tougher, but even dumb players can be good NHLers if they have a really good tool or physical ability over most. He's made too many of what I would call easy mistakes that at least would have me question how smart he is. That said he was wildly inconsistent so those mistakes were more early on or mid season.

GMs pick prospects like Reinbacher, Silayev, etc.... because of the physical projections. I haven't been overly impressed at all with Silayev but I 100% can see why teams would overrated him as they hope they are getting the next Chara in 5 years. If Reinbacher became half of Josi then you got a great pick at 5th OA.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I guess those “moar size scouts” have been watching the playoffs.
I won’t deny that it highlights the big boy play that keeps happening year after year. 2021 was jaw dropping; I’d never seen Weber Chiarot Eddy Petry as effective as a unit. They were getting killed on the outside in the reg season, but playoffs came and it was a mess for other teams forwards to try and get to the center of the D zone.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
After playing for the Rocket...............was there a report on his season albeit short, with the Rocket?
Did he adapt to the smaller ice surface as well as needed?
Still early but hopefully this experience will help for next year, whethere with the big club or the Rocket.

he adapted much better then I thought he would but very small sample size so hard to get a read on. When they brought in Struble at the end of last season, when Laval's season ended I would not have expected Struble to be with the Habs 7 weeks into next season based off his play. Not that he was bad or good, just that is was a small sample size and you need to see what impact that has on their off-season now that they had a taste of AHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What are your thoughts?
He adjusted quickly to the smaller ice surface, scored a highlight reel goal in his first AHL game. Used on the top PK unit right away. Smooth skater, seems very smart. I am one of those how would have no issue having him ride the busses in Laval next season. He is going to be a good player, you can just tell.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
If Reinbacher was like that I highly doubt Hughes would have taken him 5th. Especially knowing next draft is loaded with first pairing Defensemen. Hughes passed on real good player in Leonard. He must seen a lot in Reinbacher
The negativity is overblown in my opinion.

David St Louis did a small video on his game this year. The puck moving and skating look good.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The negativity is overblown in my opinion.

David St Louis did a small video on his game this year. The puck moving and skating look good.

I see aswell a top pairing D. His game will translate perfectly at NHL level. He will become better with better players. His mistakes isn't that bad with a dumpfire team like Kloten.

He is going to be a stud two-way with great leadership.

Reactions: Troyp

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I don't know how much say/input Hughes has, I'm sure it's a lot but he's got 2 head scouts and Gorton.

But GM's overreach for size all the time. He's not what I would call an elite skater, which is what I would use if I thought he was a great skater. When I think of poise, I think of Jordan Harris, not Reinbacher. Smarts is tougher, but even dumb players can be good NHLers if they have a really good tool or physical ability over most. He's made too many of what I would call easy mistakes that at least would have me question how smart he is. That said he was wildly inconsistent so those mistakes were more early on or mid season.

GMs pick prospects like Reinbacher, Silayev, etc.... because of the physical projections. I haven't been overly impressed at all with Silayev but I 100% can see why teams would overrated him as they hope they are getting the next Chara in 5 years. If Reinbacher became half of Josi then you got a great pick at 5th OA.

Great post as usual sir.

Reactions: montreal

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We won't know for sure until he's 25 years old. That's how it is with most dmen of this style of play.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I see Charlie McAvoy in playoffs and when he see David Reinbacher, I see similar style.

I think that's a another great comparable for Reinbacher, he have potential to become a D like that, less meaner.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Same thoughts since he was drafted. He's a great skater and his size with his reach is a problem for attackers. His smarts and poise are on display. He's competitive but not physical. He engages when necessary but doesn't seek to punish people.

Quick reads, quick puck movement, excellent in support offensively. Has a good shot that he needs to use more.

Has some adaptation to do regarding positioning against speed in the neutral zone.

He's a top pair defenseman who will get points from moving the attack forward. Basically he kills plays, gets puck back, identifies the right option quickly or has the poise to wait until the right option opens up. Moves the puck and gets up ice to support the attack.

Minute eating defenseman. Great player.
Jay Bowmeester type but with better shot?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I guess we haven't learnt anything with Slaf and judging young players too quickly.
I'm liking what this management team has done at the past two drafts.

I can't wait to see who we take at 5th overall, the through the first 4 rounds, and then afterwards. But especially the 5th overall and then the first 4 rounds, based on their track record.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
There is so much hockey left for Reinbacher to play to be down on his potential. 2+3 for 5 pts in 11 games in Laval is a pretty good NA start, especially without playing an offensive role. Piling up a +6 alongside Bisson and the eye test showed a mature defensive game, particularly for his age and displayed an almost seemless transition to the smaller ice.

He was also pretty good at last year's camp after his historic season in the swiss league. I don't know how his offensive numbers will evolve, too much untapped potential there and lack of opportunities may hurt him early (Matheson, Hutson on the powerplay 1). He should log 22-26 minutes of ice time on his solid defensive game alone for a lengthy part of his career.

I try to stay conservative on Reinbacher, too many early unrealistic early takes like heineman and Slaf made me learn my lesson. I don't dislike the Ryan Suter comparison as a player just a solid two-way player, a bit more size than suter though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad