Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
In the end, he's a big question mark either way, type of questions marks that should not have made him a top 5. But like Rockstrom said....big, agile RIGHT d-man, tough to acquire....you then pick him......He was never picked on talent. He was picked on what THEY see a rarity.

Strangely enough....this year...right d-men isn't rare anymore....we picked one d-man last year. And we don't need to pick another. Yakemchuck, Levshunov, Parekh....based on their last year analysis, those guys should be our target....and they won't. That will always be my problem with needs.

If the kid is indeed overrated defensively....we are not even talking about a top 2 here. Chances are with a top 5 pick, we got a fine No4....a rare one. But still 4.

Personnally, I think he still can be a No2. With a maximum of 40 points. A Montour, Andersson or a Sanheim. That's my evaluatoin. Right now. I reserve the right to change it...lolll
Ever considered combination of size + talent actually made him rare?

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
In the end, he's a big question mark either way, type of questions marks that should not have made him a top 5. But like Rockstrom said....big, agile RIGHT d-man, tough to acquire....you then pick him......He was never picked on talent. He was picked on what THEY see a rarity.

Strangely enough....this year...right d-men isn't rare anymore....we picked one d-man last year. And we don't need to pick another. Yakemchuck, Levshunov, Parekh....based on their last year analysis, those guys should be our target....and they won't. That will always be my problem with needs.

If the kid is indeed overrated defensively....we are not even talking about a top 2 here. Chances are with a top 5 pick, we got a fine No4....a rare one. But still 4.

Personnally, I think he still can be a No2. With a maximum of 40 points. A Montour, Andersson or a Sanheim. That's my evaluatoin. Right now. I reserve the right to change it...lolll

When you say that he can "still" be a No2. What in less than a year happened that changed this significantly ? He's been very good in the AHL for a 19 year old.

I'll add that RHDs are rare in the top 10. You only have to go through hockeydb to see. An outlier year doesn't change this. I don't know of any serious team that would try to make predictions on: 1. Where they end up in one year and 2. Who's going to be available in one year, to make their pick. The amount of variance behind a decision like that makes it a non-factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrom

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't think he's a big question mark, I'd say the opposite as his size, skating, mobility we know he's going to play in the NHL just a question of how good. There's no way anyone can really know as trying to predict how much a prospect will progress or not is not easy.

I haven't checked but it looks like scoring in the NHL is up over say 10 years ago. If that keep up and he keeps progressing then who knows what he can be or how many points he can put up.

To me I try not to focus too much on what they could be in 5 years and instead just try and see how they are improving on their weaknesses or not and compare it to previous seasons if possible.

Reactions: tooji and Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yes, he wasn’t particularly dominant defensively in Laval. I’m still discovering the player because honestly, YouTube just isn’t my bag. I prefer the setting in a NA pro game and from watching games in Laval, I can concur your statement; specifically defensively. The in zone coverage wasn’t that tight, he didn’t really shorten the available ice for the incoming forwards (like a Weber could do even on one leg and his speed totally gone) but I liked DR’s game when the puck was on his stick. Crisp passes, tape to tape and good strides with his head up high.

There’s room for him to learn in Laval, half a year should give me a better idea of who he is.

I find he covers a lot of ice. A lot more than you expect for a 19 year old. Where I thought he needed work was his positioning, which is normal for his age and the transition he had to make to NA, and also reading NA pros, who are more deceptive, strong and react faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
People are really questioning Reinbacher's offense? Lol

This guy always makes the right pass just like Markov did.
Having a great first pass does not necessarily mean having a great offense, being able to run a powerplay and having a shot hard and precise that finds open lanes.....

Ever considered combination of size + talent actually made him rare?
Nobody thinks of that when they bring the rare factor. It's Right D-man that pops up immediately.

Reactions: mdk

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
People are really questioning Reinbacher's offense? Lol

This guy always makes the right pass just like Markov did.
Another point I want to make is how people can judge what Reinbacher could become with such little sample. In one year (or next fall) he will be in the big team and a year after one year in nhl we will see what he could bring. The only question is what will be his progression and if he will be a constant player. We have no idea what will be his potential in offense while his defensive play is almost garanty to be his force..

That being said, he comes from a big rink hockey playing and he was already boarding players who were adults. So for an euro player playing in big rinks he was already playing a NA style of hockey. Smaller hockey rinks will be at his advantage.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Having a great first pass does not necessarily mean having a great offense, being able to run a powerplay and having a shot hard and precise that finds open lanes.....

Nobody thinks of that when they bring the rare factor. It's Right D-man that pops up immediately.
Reinbacher has historicallt been fantastic at finding open lanes and getting his shot through. His shot is hard and accurate and his playmaking is good. He's not Markov, but he reminds me of young Doughty a lot.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I don’t get the hype as of yet lol.

There's no "hype" because he's not as flashy as Makar, Hughes or Subban. He's probably never gonna be a player with any sort of hype.

He's going to be a minute eating, reliable, no panic, tall, mobile with passing skills RHD. It might not sound sexy but it sure does help having one of these guys on your team.

I expect him to be a wall defensively while being able to chip in offensively from times to times.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I don’t get the hype as of yet lol.
How is he hyped? I don't see any hype at all. He would be the perfect kind of player to play with the most hyped prospect we have though. Someone is going to have to play defense when paired with Hutson.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
There's no "hype" because he's not as flashy as Makar, Hughes or Subban. He's probably never gonna be a player with any sort of hype.

He's going to be a minute eating, reliable, no panic, tall, mobile with passing skills RHD. It might not sound sexy but it sure does help having one of these guys on your team.

I expect him to be a wall defensively while being able to chip in offensively from times to times.
I expected more for a top pick I guess

Reactions: mdk

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Hype as the ideal pairing partner for Hutson, sure.

If Matheson is the one moved in a package for a top-6 forward, it won't be this offseason, or during next season. It will be the following offseason, or during the following season.

Would you trade Matheson + Roy (or + Beck) + WIN 2024 1st round pick for a genuine impact forward between 24 and 27?

That, plus our 2024 1st round pick, should potentially solve our forward woes and leave a top-4 on the backend of Hutson - Reinbacher and Guhle - Mailloux, as well as a 3rd pairing of Xhekaj - Barron, with Harris and Kovacevic as the 7th and 8th Ds.

Engstrom might well eventually supplant all of Barron, Harris and Kovacevic for a spot in the regular six Ds.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Interesting that he wants to make Montreal next year, and wants to prove at camp that he's ready.

It sounds like he plans on having a good off-season. Reminds me of Slafkovsky after his D+1 when he promised he'd come back a better player, and did.

I like the drive inherent in that attitude. The drive to be better, to work to be better, and to have confidence in their own expectations while not fearing the expectations others are putting on them. They want it.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Sounds like a less offensive Weber

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

Sounds like a good version of Mike Komisarek

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Can we at least wait for a full season in North America before criticizing this pick? It's mostly the same posters who are impatient as usual that complain about the pick. The same who complained about Slafkovsky. Honestly, I loved what i saw from him in the AHL in the 12 games he played. Give the kid some practice time with his teammates and learning the system and the NA game, and he will be fantastic.

Andrei Markov wasn't "Andrei Markov" when he was drafted either...He was drafted in the 6th round for a reason. He developed well and when he finally came over to NA, he was turning 22 in December of his first season. I'm not comparing him to Andrei Markov to be clear, just using this player as he was named a few times in this thread.

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
So hf hates him and also compares him to Pietrangelo Suter and Markov; this all has me pretty excited for training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad