Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Suter went 7th (and a left shot) in the best draft in history. I don't think anyone would say Suter has high offensive ability yet consistently produced between 40-50 pts in his career.

I'd say Reinbacher has that ability through his skating, poise and outlet passing. He activates offensively and can stand to use his shot more.
I think Suter is a very good comparison for Reinbacher in term of career potential.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Funny that people in here are still complaining that we didn't take Michkov. Even funnier is that people are so obtuse that they give zero weight to the fact that our scouting director's dad has intimate inside knowledge on Michkov and maybe our scouting director knows more about him than Joe Poster.
And the Flyers scouting director felt perfectly confident in Michkov.

It means nothing either way.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am not sure why this isn't obvious to everyone. Hughes would have been foolish to take a player who was making behind the scene moves to go elsewhere.
It seemed to me that Michkov merely accepted an invitation from Briere.

Nothing prevented Hughes from doing the same or more or doing it first but evidently there was no need for it since Hughes never had Michkov in his sights.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Point is more that even if he becomes a franchise scorer for Philly doesn't mean he would become one with us. If for example the rumors about him only wanting to go to specific teams was true, then it doesn't make sense to draft him unless you are on his list because all you'll get is a headache for a few years and then lose him for peanuts at best. It's not as black and white as it would be for other players.
Of course. We don’t know if he would’ve come here or not. Lots of rumours of him specifically wanting to go to Philly. That’s a real possibility. The ‘Russian’ factor I mentioned entails a few things - lack of control over development, being under contract, him trying to get to specific cities etc… there were clearly risks in taking him that didn’t exist with other players.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Funny that people in here are still complaining that we didn't take Michkov. Even funnier is that people are so obtuse that they give zero weight to the fact that our scouting director's dad has intimate inside knowledge on Michkov and maybe our scouting director knows more about him than Joe Poster.
Not complaining. Simply conveying my feelings at the time. I’ve never seen Michkov even play. I simply liked the idea of having a dynamic scorer in the lineup.

I get why we went with RB and I’m good with it. I can’t take a hard opinion on this one way or the other.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Suter went 7th (and a left shot) in the best draft in history. I don't think anyone would say Suter has high offensive ability yet consistently produced between 40-50 pts in his career.

I'd say Reinbacher has that ability through his skating, poise and outlet passing. He activates offensively and can stand to use his shot more.
If Reinbacher turns out as good as Suter I will be ecstatic.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I was even going to qualify that I may have gotten that specific point wrong lol.

Thanks for clearing that up. Missed the part about his wrist. A lot is going to depend on his mobility. Hoping he can open up his offensive game a bit more over here.
The Michkov team could work if you trade one of Caufield or CC, or even both of them. No Newhook either. 4 is way too much smallo-petittos, 3 even too much and 2 is the max in my book.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I very much doubt that they would choose a lesser player over a clearly higher ranked one just because he plays a premium position.

I don’t know why they chose Reinbacher but can’t wait to find out what he becomes. I hope they got it right.
You are right, if there is a clearly better winger of course you go for it, but all things said centers and defensemen still have a premium value with comparable wingers.

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I like Leonard too. He has that future captain or assistant vibe to him. I wanted whoever was left of Fantilli , Carlsson , Smith or Michkov first with Leonard as my 2nd choice and Benson 3rd

i'm fine with the Reinbacher pick even though it took me a bit by surprise. Personally i would totally have swung for the fences and drafted Michkov. That said If DR end up as a top 4 or even better

No one knows more than Joe Poster.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I thought it was Brière and not Michkov who had initiated the whole experience to have Michkov spend time with Philly staff. Nothing prevented Hughes from doing the same or more or doing it first but evidently there was no need for it since Hughes never had Michkov in his sights.

The understanding that I have is that Michkov's side made it be known to the Flyers that he wanted to play there and Briere agreed to play ball. The whole thing was under a shroud of secrecy and nobody knows the actual truth. I absolutely believe that Briere designed the actual meeting but I don't believe that it was unprompted or it was not initiated by Michkov's management group who had more hoops to jump through than Briere had.

I suppose it doesn't matter as the Flyers were the only team to do this and there is a reason that other teams did not do this. It would stand to reason that Michkov and his entourage would have made a formal request or made it be known to other teams that he was available for such a meeting if they were indeed open to encouraging other team's to draft him. The secrecy around the meeting would at the very least make Michkov's side complicit in ensuring that Philly was the only suitor allowed such accesss.The leaked news of this rendezvous certainly would be enough to cement the idea of passing on him when Hughes already had too many red flags to begin with. Michkov comes from an incredibly corrupt country where organized crime has deep roots in every day business. This meeting, among other events in his life just had the air of corruption/manipulation about it from my perspective and possibly also from Hughes' perspective. I don't think Hughes, Gorton or Molson wanted any part of this circus even if it turns out that everything that happened around the kid was benign.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
And the Flyers scouting director felt perfectly confident in Michkov.

It means nothing either way.

Who knows, the Flyers also didn't have or expect to have the opportunity to draft Reinbacher. There is a very good chance that Arizona would have taken Reinbacher over Simashev and Michkov if given the chance as well.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
No doubt, the idea of Hutson and Reinbacher have been spoken before the selection. I'm hype about that. Reinbacher play really good hockey on his bad team, we all already see his poise, mobility, defensive like Guhle pre-draft.

Both will be fun to watch together, they will complete each other perfectly and they will be even more better on their two-way game.

That's the most important thing for the future, to have the perfect partner to Lane Hutson than a great forward prospect like Leonard, Benson or Michkov!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
it will be interesting to see if in a few years stuff leaks about Michkov and the draft as I thought something really odd was going on there and then you had Price go up and make our pick but then didn't even know his name.

So far I haven't been overly impressed with Leonard at BC, I think Perreault has looked better and while Smith has been pretty good I thought he would look better but I'm also not focused on them since I'm only there to watch Fowler.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The new Habs management made two great looking solid draft so far.

Slaf and Reinbacher, nobody can't complain with them. Slaf will be a beast in 2 years and Reinbacher have a great progression in a bad team. Reinbacher play much better than his beginning season.

Add Beck, Hutson, Engstrom, Mesar, Fowler, Konyushkov, Xhekaj, Volokhin and Miller...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Slaf and Reinbacher, nobody can't complain with them. Slaf will be a beast in 2 years and Reinbacher have a great progression in a bad team. Reinbacher play much better than his beginning season.

Add Beck, Hutson, Engstrom, Mesar, Fowler, Konyushkov, Xhekaj, Volokhin and Miller...

Definitely not doing victory laps with RB now and I’m a fan. He hasn’t been world beating. That could change soon. He’s looking a bit better of late but he needs to be better.

That being said the early returns on the last 2 drafts have been fantastic so far

Reactions: KevSkillz4

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Definitely not doing victory laps with RB now and I’m a fan. He hasn’t been world beating. That could change soon. He’s looking a bit better of late but he needs to be better.

That being said the early returns on the last 2 drafts have been fantastic so far

Before the draft I liked more Leonard and Benson than Reinbacher, but right now, I'd rather have Reinbacher. So I think that's a victory so far. But yeah he need to produce more. But with the team he have at this moment, I just want a good defensive and mature game from him. His offensive game will translate very well in NHL level. So I'm not worry about that.

Michkov is always the only player who can make regret the pick, but at this moment, I'm 100% confident that he is a better pick than Leonard or Benson, even if I'm a big fan of Benson and he will be a star type of forward.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

With most drafts the fans will look at what was left on the table. The RB draft is going to be interesting depending on what Mich does. It will forever (rightly or wrongly) be remembered as the draft where we passed in him.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
The way our team is built. I don't think Michkov was that guy Hugh/Gorton wanted. Judging from NYR, it's a speedy team with size.

Reinbacher is a very good pick. In 3-4 years when he's NHL ready, I think at 22 he'll be a top 3 defensemen. Reminds me a lot of Aaron Ekblad.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The way our team is built. I don't think Michkov was that guy Hugh/Gorton wanted. Judging from NYR, it's a speedy team with size.

Reinbacher is a very good pick. In 3-4 years when he's NHL ready, I think at 22 he'll be a top 3 defensemen. Reminds me a lot of Aaron Ekblad.

Ekblad was one of the biggest busts in the the CHL, his hype was legendary. Ekblad is lucky to be on a good hockey team and not this dumpster fire in Montreal Bustbacher has to enter into.

Reactions: habsfan891

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
No doubt, the idea of Hutson and Reinbacher have been spoken before the selection. I'm hype about that. Reinbacher play really good hockey on his bad team, we all already see his poise, mobility, defensive like Guhle pre-draft.

Both will be fun to watch together, they will complete each other perfectly and they will be even more better on their two-way game.

That's the most important thing for the future, to have the perfect partner to Lane Hutson than a great forward prospect like Leonard, Benson or Michkov!
Yes and no. The ceiling of Michkov is pretty high. But the risk something fail with Mich is so high. At the end, Rein is a safe pick and was projected to be gone soon around 5 or 6. At 7 he was gone 100% sure. The picture of perfect duos in D makes me dream as much as a good forward or even more. If Reinbacher become the player we dream of, retrospectly that was a good pick. Having a great forward is very helpfull, as long as he become the player expected. A lot of promising prospect never make it. This year after Bedard or after #3, it wasn't that much a good year with forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad