Player Discussion David Quinn: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
My opinion hasn't really changed after these last two games.

Very young, plagued by injuries, coming down from the rush of a playoff push, and we get stomped by an incredibly well-structured team that plays playoff hockey.

I'm not sure what is different now than it was three days ago.

I'm not a big fan of Quinn, but his legacy is going to be tied to our prospects' development, not whether he can outcoach Barry Trotz with a worse roster. At least the kids got playing time; hasn't that been the biggest point of contention all season?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I doubt it. They're fully aware of what's on here. They're just, you know, doing something other than posting the same thing in several threads when nothing's really changed.
Youre right, nothing has changed...its been the same persistent problems that group won’t recognize or just willfully chooses to ignore while repeatedly stating xyz is the reason Quinn isn’t to blame.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Quinn is soon gone. And then Rangers hope that one of Cassidy or Sullivan becomes available.

Reactions: RGY

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I’m perplexed by those who hang their hat on Quinn as a development coach. Hasn’t he failed at that as well?

Chytil shows the same promise as three years ago, except with more meat on his bones. You can argue that he’s scoring at a better pace even strength this year, but then why has he not been put in more spots to be successful such as besides Panarin or on the PP? If the games against the inslanders showed anything, it was that Strome is not the long term solution there.

Kakko has improved sure - but that’s pretty relative considering he was the worst Player in the league last year, after being heralded as the most NHL ready player in the draft by every scout under the sun.

Lafreniere has come along this year? He was known to be an impact player day 1, the best player out of the draft since Matthews.. (who, mind you, scored 4 goals in his first game and never looked back). Lafreniere has had a historically bad 1st season for a 1st overall pick. Spare me the “he’s learning defense!” Garbage, do you see how this team plays defends??

I guess you could argue Fox, Lindgren, etc, but they’ve been impact players since day 1, there’s not much that’s been done there other than force fed them minutes because we’ve had no other choice. It’s like giving Quinn credit for developing Eichel into the best player in college hockey in his freshman season. A reasonable person would believe it would have happened regardless

This is a team that can’t, or won’t, or doesn’t know how to play a tight structured game and win. If they can’t do that, what exactly indicates they are developing better than they would under anyone else? Because it sure as hell isn’t their offensive production or defensive zone play. There’s only so many dimensions to the game..

As a side note, I’d really like to see what we have with some of these guys in a non-pond hockey style system. Decisions have to be made on Zibanejad, Buchnevich and Strome. Will they be able to play a tight checking game and still produce? Because if they can’t, they’re more playoff Rick Nash than playoff Brassard.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I doubt it. They're fully aware of what's on here. They're just, you know, doing something other than posting the same thing in several threads when nothing's really changed.
Edge, to clarify further, need a space to vent the frustrations that nothing has changed so this is it. And until DQ is fired and they hire a coach with legitimate experience to lead this very raw group, then the frustrations will continue.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I’m perplexed by those who hang their hat on Quinn as a development coach. Hasn’t he failed at that as well?

Chytil shows the same promise as three years ago, except with more meat on his bones. You can argue that he’s scoring at a better pace even strength this year, but then why has he not been put in more spots to be successful such as besides Panarin or on the PP? If the games against the inslanders showed anything, it was that Strome is not the long term solution there.

Kakko has improved sure - but that’s pretty relative considering he was the worst Player in the league last year, after being heralded as the most NHL ready player in the draft by every scout under the sun.

Lafreniere has come along this year? He was known to be an impact player day 1, the best player out of the draft since Matthews.. (who, mind you, scored 4 goals in his first game and never looked back). Lafreniere has had a historically bad 1st season for a 1st overall pick. Spare me the “he’s learning defense!” Garbage, do you see how this team plays defends??

I guess you could argue Fox, Lindgren, etc, but they’ve been impact players since day 1, there’s not much that’s been done there other than force fed them minutes because we’ve had no other choice. It’s like giving Quinn credit for developing Eichel into the best player in college hockey in his freshman season. A reasonable person would believe it would have happened regardless

This is a team that can’t, or won’t, or doesn’t know how to play a tight structured game and win. If they can’t do that, what exactly indicates they are developing better than they would under anyone else? Because it sure as hell isn’t their offensive production or defensive zone play. There’s only so many dimensions to the game..

As a side note, I’d really like to see what we have with some of these guys in a non-pond hockey style system. Decisions have to be made on Zibanejad, Buchnevich and Strome. Will they be able to play a tight checking game and still produce? Because if they can’t, they’re more playoff Rick Nash than playoff Brassard.
I mean this is a great post.

But the Quinn Opposition team will surely roll out the excuses in an attempt to silence you. Be ready. At the very least for the paragraphs on Chytil/Kakko/Lafreniere.

And whats better is, when a new coach does come in and those 3 do start scoring at a more expected rate, those same people will say it was all Quinn’s development.

Reactions: Kreider Typical

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Edge, to clarify further, need a space to vent the frustrations that nothing has changed so this is it. And until DQ is fired and they hire a coach with legitimate experience to lead this very raw group, then the frustrations will continue.
You are going to be a miserable ******ucker for quite a while longer.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You are going to be a miserable ******ucker for quite a while longer.
About as miserable as David Quinn’s personnel management, ability to make adjustments in game and as we have seen prior when game-planning against the same team, and his ability to get the most out if his players, among other things.

So, sure guess that makes me a nuisance to the passive fans who feel Quinn is not a problem, not that bad.

They’re eliminated now. Let’s see how the offseason goes.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
About as miserable as David Quinn’s personnel management, ability to make adjustments in game and as we have seen prior when game-planning against the same team, and his ability to get the most out if his players, among other things.

So, sure guess that makes me a nuisance to the passive fans who feel Quinn is not a problem, not that bad.
However you want to place it. Since, as you put, your frustrations are here for as long as Quinn is here, you are not feeling the sunshine for quite a while yet.
They’re eliminated now. Let’s see how the offseason goes.
Now this is a valid discussion

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I have no doubt they will. I mean everyone’s seen my crutch photos that I post when talking about DQ.

But I do think one very important thing to remember is that I don’t really think anyone loves Quinn. I don’t think the debate is between the fan club and the pitchfork wielding mob.

The challenge is that when things get frustrating we run the risk of over-simplifying the challenges and problems facing this team right now. It also masks how close this team is to having something with more maturity.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
However you want to place it. Since, as you put, your frustrations are here for as long as Quinn is here, you are not feeling the sunshine for quite a while yet.

Now this is a valid discussion
Is it too much to want the team to play with an identity, to skate hard right at puck drop? I know you watched this whole season. I know you watched pretty much every game like I did. Do you feel like they came out with a consistent effort every night? I certainly dont. They all too often looked flat, like they were waiting for a bell to go off, and by the time that bell went off, 20-30 minutes of regulation had already been played in most cases.

I have said it often, in a developmental progress year, losing is not what bothers me. Its how you lose. Its where is the effort at? The team does not play with enough pace. The whole team looks slow. I watch a ton of hockey. I watch other teams, even the bubble teams in other divisions, there is much more pace from shift to shift. That to me is a systemic issue, not a personnel issue. Not when you have 18-23 skaters all showing similar results in that category.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is it too much to want the team to play with an identity, to skate hard right at puck drop? I know you watched this whole season. I know you watched pretty much every game like I did. Do you feel like they came out with a consistent effort every night? I certainly dont. They all too often looked flat, like they were waiting for a bell to go off, and by the time that bell went off, 20-30 minutes of regulation had already been played in most cases.

I have said it often, in a developmental progress year, losing is not what bothers me. Its how you lose. Its where is the effort at? The team does not play with enough pace. The whole team looks slow. I watch a ton of hockey. I watch other teams, even the bubble teams in other divisions, there is much more pace from shift to shift. That to me is a systemic issue, not a personnel issue. Not when you have 18-23 skaters all showing similar results in that category.
Did they come out ready and prepared to play in games? No. And that is a legitimate item to debate regarding Quinn. And frankly the overall roster construction that will take place over the next several years. The roster is missing the player that will take the fight to the other team. Frankly several such players. The players that can change momentum with a physical play.

But overall, this team overcame ridiculous hurdles to arrive at a spot that while most thought they would be at, but not with the slew of hardships that has occured.

Yes, we can talk about game starts and how that completely relates to Quinn. But then we need to also discuss how that completely relates to the leadership group of the team. If anything that these last 3 games against the Isles have shown is that their top - 5 NHL player and top two centers being completely invisible is an eyesore that is hard to hide.

Reactions: kovazub94 and RGY

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I think a lot of what you wrote here is a matter of degree, but at this point, it's blatantly false that Lafrenière has had an historically bad rookie season for a 1OA. He was early on. Now, normalizing for role (meaning looking at ES p/60 in the equivalent number of games played), he's more productive than Stamkos, Tavares, or Hughes at this point. Until these two shutout losses, he was creeping up on what Hall, RNH and MacKinnon did in their rookie years. We'll see where he lands after the last few games, but this is no longer the unmitigated production disaster that it looked to be early in the year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The fact that the team refused to play the way that Quinn was exhorting them to in these two games is definitely a mark against him. A coach losing a team is more of a long-term phenomenon that I haven't seen yet, but these are the kinds of games that, when added to a larger fabric, would indicate that. Same last week with the previous Islanders game. What's worse is that, against everyone else, the team had shown strides in playing that way. There isn't enough time left in the season to see for sure if this is a larger issue or a blip. You need about a month of it.

Exit interviews may paint a picture for Gorton and JD. Let's not forget that Tortorella was fired after a somewhat successful, but still disappointing year because the exit interviews with the players were so bad.

These two games were a bad look on everybody, and I wouldn't be surprised if it cemented a decision Gorton and JD might have been on the fence about regarding roster personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad