Player Discussion David Quinn: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Taking a quick look at some numbers for first 10 games of season.... Was curious of the defensive difference.

2020 - 35GA - 36.2 SA/g - .903sv% | 4-5-1 9pts

2021 - 28GA - 27.7 SA/g - .903sv% | 4-4-2 10pts

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Taking a quick look at some numbers for first 10 games of season.... Was curious of the defensive difference.

2020 - 35GA - 36.2 SA/g - .903sv% | 4-5-1 9pts

2021 - 28GA - 27.7 SA/g - .903sv% | 4-4-2 10pts

Ruff wasn't really great as defense coach and is more of a head coach?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Was nice to see Kakko sticking with that line. He was all over the puck tonight and he forced two plays that lead to the two goals his line had.

At one point he was with the 4th line and I was about to lose my shit but it was just for a shift or two

Are you sure that wasn't the result of the 12 second PP the 2nd unit got? That 2nd unit has Lemieux and Howden on it with Kakko

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
It was also really hard to tell numbers apart on the telecast. Was using the small tv and the lack of contrast on the numbers really made it difficult to tell who was who.

Poor Sam.

Yeah i thought the same thing. Those jerseys. They have the darker grey outlining the numbers and anything stitched but nothing else. They coudlve done such a better job with those

Yet, they continue to sell.

• The call trumpeted the success of the Rangers’ reverse retro jersey as one of the top-selling items in the league. That’s true, Fanatics, which runs the NHL store supplied The Athletic with a list of the top-selling items since Jan. 13 and the fourth best-selling item in the league this season was the Rangers reverse retro jersey, while specifically, Artemi Panarin reverse retro jerseys were fifth.
MSG Sports, Rangers suffer revenue loss in Q2, betting big for the future

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've been very impressed with how Quinn is handling the development of the younger players so far.

Absolutely. For some, it's taking a little time, for sure. I really think his approach of not worrying about how good a player is right now, but preparing them to be better players down the road is the right one and is clearly working. It's why we have Happy Buch. Quinn sends Chytil to Hartford and says "do these things" and he comes up a better player.

It's interesting the way that he handles forwards a little differently than defensemen. With forwards, it's all about desconstructing the habits they've built up playing in lesser leagues... habits that don't fly in the NHL... and rebuilding them to be effective here. With D, it's all about what made them defensemen in the first place. Taking their instincts and converting them to the scheme he wants them to play.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This year is a new story. Kakkz and Chytil were on a mission to start the year.. Didn't matter to this coach, as he did nothing to fuel that fire. I detest his deployment of Kakko this year. He rewards teachers pets like Strome, Kreider and Trouba.. and punishes studs like Kakko and DeAngelo. It's okay, there should be only a couple games left with him at the helm..
The time thing is a complete falsehood. Look at how much time they were getting relative to their piers. And as Chytil got better, he got more ice time. And as Kakko showed last night, if he plays the way that he was, he is going to get more time. This is not a miracle. Same happened with Lindgren. Same happened with Fox.

I really would love to know how Kreider and Trouba are teachers pets. What, do you believe, needs to happen with those two? And Strome? Great time for a post like this. But forgetting that, who do you believe right now should be centering Panarin?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely. For some, it's taking a little time, for sure. I really think his approach of not worrying about how good a player is right now, but preparing them to be better players down the road is the right one and is clearly working. It's why we have Happy Buch. Quinn sends Chytil to Hartford and says "do these things" and he comes up a better player.

It's interesting the way that he handles forwards a little differently than defensemen. With forwards, it's all about desconstructing the habits they've built up playing in lesser leagues... habits that don't fly in the NHL... and rebuilding them to be effective here. With D, it's all about what made them defensemen in the first place. Taking their instincts and converting them to the scheme he wants them to play.
I think (very dangerous, I know) it is two things. One is that Quinn is very good at communicating exactly what he is looking for. If player does X, Y & Z, he will play and it becomes up to said player to make the most of his minutes. Chytil is an example of that. Kakko last night showed an example of that. DeAngelo (he who must not be named) was an example of that. Buchnevich is an example of that.

And the second is your second point regarding forwards. When we started to read for the last couple of days that Quinn is at fault for not letting them play "their style", nothing could be more ludicrous. As you correctly point out, there are habits that just will not fly in the NHL. We saw that with Kakko last year The way he played in Liga was not going to work. And it did not work. But he put in the time, and his game is that much better for it. And his ice time is better for it.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The time thing is a complete falsehood. Look at how much time they were getting relative to their piers. And as Chytil got better, he got more ice time. And as Kakko showed last night, if he plays the way that he was, he is going to get more time. This is not a miracle. Same happened with Lindgren. Same happened with Fox.

I really would love to know how Kreider and Trouba are teachers pets. What, do you believe, needs to happen with those two? And Strome? Great time for a post like this. But forgetting that, who do you believe right now should be centering Panarin?
The proper term for this is being team leaders and helping to convey the coach's message. Some posters apparently believe such a thing is equivalent to high school.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It was also really hard to tell numbers apart on the telecast. Was using the small tv and the lack of contrast on the numbers really made it difficult to tell who was who.

Poor Sam.

I had the same exact problem. Poorly executed jerseys, I don't remember this problem with the original.

Reactions: Inferno

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

I am furious at how he's starving Miller for ice time.

:rolleyes:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think (very dangerous, I kmow) it is two things. One is that Quinn is very good at communicating exactly what he is looking for. If player does X, Y & Z, he will play and it becomes up to said player to make the most of his minutes. Chytil is an example of that. Kakko last night showed an example of that. DeAngelo (he who must not be named) was an example of that. Buchnevich is an example of that.

And the second is your second point regarding forwards. When we started to read for the last couple of days that Quinn is at fault for not letting them play "their style", nothing could be more ludicrous. As you correctly point out, there are habits that just will not fly in the NHL. We saw that with Kakko last year The way he played in Liga was not going to work. And it did not work. But he put in the time, and his game is that much better for it. And his ice time is better for it.

To the bolded... most of the time, this is true. I think he might have slipped up on that with Andersson and Kravtsov, but at least in the Kravtsov case it could be rectified.

The thing that's really important about "if player does X,Y,Z he will play" is that Quinn doesn't write off players who don't do those things. He gets with them in practice and on the bench and works with them to improve those areas.

Reactions: Leetch3

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To the bolded... most of the time, this is true. I think he might have slipped up on that with Andersson and Kravtsov, but at least in the Kravtsov case it could be rectified.

The thing that's really important about "if player does X,Y,Z he will play" is that Quinn doesn't write off players who don't do those things. He gets with them in practice and on the bench and works with them to improve those areas.
Agreed on both. Kravstov, sort of like Chytil in Hartford, really seems to have heeded what he was being told this year. And showed that it is not too late for players that young.

Andersson simply continued to dig his own hall. I will completely buy that there may well have been slip ups in the communication department with him, but unlike Kravstov who decided to pull his head out of his tukhus, he just continued with more of the same. And judging by the results and ice time he is receiving in LA, the change of scenery has really done little for him.

To your second point, yes he does not write off players. This, I think, is what he refers to as being fine with mistakes being made as long as the intention is good.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Agreed on both. Kravstov, sort of like Chytil in Hartford, really seems to have heeded what he was being told this year. And showed that it is not too late for players that young.

Andersson simply continued to dig his own hall. I will completely buy that there may well have been slip ups in the communication department with him, but unlike Kravstov who decided to pull his head out of his tukhus, he just continued with more of the same. And judging by the results and ice time he is receiving in LA, the change of scenery has really done little for him.

To your second point, yes he does not write off players. This, I think, is what he refers to as being fine with mistakes being made as long as the intention is good.
Oh God, you used the I word...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad