Player Discussion David Pastrnak

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Pasta leaves everyone wanting more and never getting it when it counts. Someone mentioned trading him for Brady Tkachuk. I would do that and not even think twice about it.

He doesn’t get up for big games and seems to only be playing for the name on the back of his jersey. I wouldn’t mind seeing his disappearing act on another team. I can’t stand his lack of effort like last night on the icing where he didn’t bother hustling. It is equally frustrating to watch him miss a shot and instantly looking up to the rafters instead of continuing immediately. It’s all about Pasta.
The drugs are flashing back again Ozzy. IMO, the best approach would be to turn off the WiFi, put away bright screens, and wrap yourself up softly in a safe place until it passes.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Interesting stuff in here.

I think the first thing the Bruins need to do is go back to the basics and practice counting to 5 while doing line changes. If they can't accomplish this then we are really screwed.

Trading Pasta is interesting. All Florida really had to do was focus him when he was on the ice, the Bruins would always look to feed him a pass and he is prone to make mistakes if he's handling the puck with a lot of pressure. Find someone to compliment him and I think he'll be just fine.

Our team didn't play with a lot of confidence and you could see that when they'd rather pass than shoot in high scoring areas.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Some people really need to go take an honest look at this roster and realize how devoid of forward talent it is. As an opposing coach it's easy to defend, throw the kitchen sink at Pastrnak, no one else up front is going to beat you.

The last 2 seasons, Pastrnak has 223 points. He has a point on 40% of all goals the team has scored in that time.

This year his 110 points were 43 more than #2 on the team (64% more than #2) and his 47 goals were 18 more (62% more than #2)
Last year his 113 points were 46 more than #2 on the team (69% more than #2) and his 61 goals were 34 more (126% more than #2)

For all the playoff talk, lets not act like he didnt score 5 goals in 7 games last year including 2 in game 6 (tied it 2-2 and gave them a 4-3 lead) and the would've been series winner in game 7 in the 3rd to go up 3-2. I must have missed where Pastrnak was in net giving up 7 goals in game 6 and 4 in game 7. Even this year for what by his standards was an average playoff he had the series winner against Toronto.

Which isnt to say he's immune from criticism, but let's be fair he's pretty far down the list of issues with this team

Last edited:

stevebeans

May 15, 2010
Pasta was frustrating this postseason but that’s because it’s the postseason and he’s far and away the best player on the team and his strength is scoring. That’s fairly easy to shut down over a 7 game series.

It’s similar to throwing an all-pro receiver on a weak NFL offense.

A talented playmaking center is essential to the team because it’s much harder to shut those guys down.

The Bruins don’t need to get rid of Pasta. They need to find a real star center who can feed him. I don’t know all the rosters but I doubt there are many teams with a worse group of centers let alone playoff teams.

Zacha or Coyle being #1 center is like pretending you’re going to win with a Jacoby Brissett as QB1

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Some people really need to go take an honest look at this roster and realize how devoid of forward talent it is. As an opposing coach it's easy to defend, throw the kitchen sink at Pastrnak, no one else up front is going to beat you.

The last 2 seasons, Pastrnak has 223 points. He has a point on 40% of all goals the team has scored in that time.

This year his 110 points were 43 more than #2 on the team (64% more than #2) and his 47 goals were 18 more (62% more than #2)
Last year his 113 points were 46 more than #2 on the team (69% more than #2) and his 61 goals were 34 more (126% more than #2)

For all the playoff talk, lets not act like he didnt score 5 goals in 7 games last year including 2 in game 6 (tied it 2-2 and gave them a 4-3 lead) and the would've been series winner in game 7 in the 3rd to go up 3-2. I must have missed where Pastrnak was in net giving up 7 goals in game 6 and 4 in game 7. Even this year for what by his standards was an average playoff he had the series winner against Toronto.

Which isnt to say he's immune from criticism, but let's be fair he's pretty fa
Sometimes great players get shutdown.

Kucherov has 1G in last 11 PO Games in 2 PO seasons. He has Braden Point not
Morgan Geekie as his C.

In 2013 Rask made Crosby and Malkin irrelevant.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
I’m surprised that so many are ok with a poor effort from such a high-paid player. Say what you will about Mathew Tkachuk, but I’ve never seen a lazy, lackluster performance from him.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I’m surprised that so many are ok with a poor effort from such a high-paid player. Say what you will about Mathew Tkachuk, but I’ve never seen a lazy, lackluster performance from him.
Tkachuk was a -1 with one assist in the last 3 games of the series. He faded for sure annd was not the same pain in the arse after getting crushed by Marchand.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The drugs are flashing back again Ozzy. IMO, the best approach would be to turn off the WiFi, put away bright screens, and wrap yourself up softly in a safe place until it passes.
Twitter - there for information not opinions

HF- singular issue negative posts every time and/or 90-100 % negative posts I’ll pass and thankfully HF has provided a way to avoid

You eliminate all the noise place is very good - as @Ladyfan says if only we could do this in our reality

Reactions: Number8 and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Twitter - there for information not opinions

HF- singular issue negative posts every time and/or 90-100 % negative posts I’ll pass and thankfully HF has provided a way to avoid

You eliminate all the noise place is very good - as @Ladyfan says if only we could do this in our reality
1716376050742.png

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I didn't find Pasta to be lazy at all these playoffs. He didn't produce like we expect no doubt, but as many have said in this thread it's pretty easy to shut him down when he's one of two or three offensive threats on the entire team. They put their best guys on him and bet on the fact that we didn't have the firepower to compete with them and it worked.

For people saying trade Pasta, it seems to me they forgot the Julien era where we constantly were left wanting a legit goal scorer. Only makes sense we take for granted that same thing once we have it.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Pasta was frustrating this postseason but that’s because it’s the postseason and he’s far and away the best player on the team and his strength is scoring. That’s fairly easy to shut down over a 7 game series.

It’s similar to throwing an all-pro receiver on a weak NFL offense.

A talented playmaking center is essential to the team because it’s much harder to shut those guys down.

The Bruins don’t need to get rid of Pasta. They need to find a real star center who can feed him. I don’t know all the rosters but I doubt there are many teams with a worse group of centers let alone playoff teams.

Zacha or Coyle being #1 center is like pretending you’re going to win with a Jacoby Brissett as QB1
David Krecji's ridiculously good playmaking skills will be very hard to replace (as we have just seen).

Reactions: Old Man Jags

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Is it a poor effort, or rather poor conditioning? If it's the latter, then Pasta wouldn't be the only guilty Bruin.
This is a very good point, I said before the series started the Florida is the best conditioned team in the league. With the exception of Ekblad they never look tired, that became an issue almost every game.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Is it a poor effort, or rather poor conditioning? If it's the latter, then Pasta wouldn't be the only guilty Bruin.

I’ve wondered for years about Pasta’s conditioning.

He runs at like 40% once he’s passed the halfway mark of most of his shifts IMO.

That being said, and as others are saying, a big part of the issue is the lack of center depth to complement Pastrnak. I actually thought his effort was good this postseason (didn’t think so for most of last postseason). The issue is that he’s only one player.

Last edited:
Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Because we watched the games and it was clear that lack of effort was not what held Pastrnak back.

Usain Bolt cant win races with his shoes tied together

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This is a very good point, I said before the series started the Florida is the best conditioned team in the league. With the exception of Ekblad they never look tired, that became an issue almost every game.
He played more at even strength than any forward on either team by something like 2 min/game and was targeted more than any forward on either team.

Questioning his effort and conditioning is grasping at pretty desperate straws.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
He played more at even strength than any forward on either team by something like 2 min/game and was targeted more than any forward on either team.

Questioning his effort and conditioning is grasping at pretty desperate straws.
I never said he nor any bruin wasn’t, just that the panthers are better conditioned and had more energy than the B’s just about every game.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Because we watched the games and it was clear that lack of effort was not what held Pastrnak back.

Usain Bolt cant win races with his shoes tied together
Seems that the Prince of Darkness just looks to get a rise out of people. It's like listening to talk radio and being annoyed.

Reactions: Ladyfan

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

It's not just about a centre who can feed the puck to Pasta. That becomes predictable and easy to anticipate. A top-notch centre is also a scoring threat themselves. That's why the Perfection Line was so good: any of them could score, so you couldn't just defend by keying on one guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad