Player Discussion David Pastrnak

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He is a choker gets pushed around how many goals did he and the other overpriced choker McAvoy cause with bonehead mistakes? Both would bring a ton of picks let someone else over pay for these 2 guys that will never win a cup!
Pastahhhhh’s a choke-ah!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: NDiesel

EchoNumeral

May 7, 2024
I expected some pushback, so no big deal :laugh:

Maybe the Bruins will pick up the next Zetterberg and Pavelski in the late rounds and I'll look like the idiot that I am.

Maybe they'll be mediocre for the next 5 or so years.

I will ask this though, and hopefully it won't be met with derision. Does anyone believe that they've seen progress in Pasta's playoff game over the last X amount of years? I don't mean points, I'm talking about mojo. Maybe I just can't see it for whatever reason.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I imagine that this will be a highly unpopular opinion, and I should preface this by saying that I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Pasta's progression from rookie to the player he is today. Seeing his big personality come through from day one has been cool too.

But I would seriously consider trading him for maximum value at some point in the next year or two, whilst he's in the prime age bracket. Perhaps when Marchand retires.

I think the best player comparable for him is his friend Nylander. They are very nice hockey players but it's pretty clear that this type of player can't carry the rest of the team on their back in the playoffs.

This was okay when Bergeron, Chara etc. were still around and he was a complimentary player, but now that he is 'the guy' - not so much. Seeing the team's designated best player perform with jelly legs has to impact the bench negatively.

I should reiterate that Pastrnak is generally one of my favorite players to watch, at least when the stakes aren't as high.

Feel free to kick me out of Bruins fandom for this post! :help:
Usually the team that gets the superstar is the team that makes out.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Maybe the Bruins will pick up the next Zetterberg and Pavelski in the late rounds and I'll look like the idiot that I am.

I will ask this though, and hopefully it won't be met with derision. Does anyone believe that they've seen progress in Pasta's playoff game over the last X amount of years? I don't mean points, I'm talking about mojo. Maybe I just can't see it for whatever reason.
His game is much improved.

Maybe you can't see it because you have an agenda?

EchoNumeral

May 7, 2024
His game is much improved.

Maybe you can't see it because you have an agenda?
Nope.

I've been lurking on HFBoards (and the B's forum in particular) for many years. In recent times it has become impossible to follow the live game threads without an account as the thread gets all messed up. It's hard to describe without seeing it.

Apologies for making such a bad impression. I'm obviously in the minority with this one.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Nope.

I've been lurking on HFBoards (and the B's forum in particular) for many years. In recent times it has become impossible to follow the live game threads without an account as the thread gets all messed up. It's hard to describe without seeing it.

Apologies for making such a bad impression. I'm obviously in the minority with this one.

You’re not the only one with the opinion you have.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’d look to trade him yet. I’d want to see how he looks with some support on his line. Right now he is the only skater teams have to worry about.

Was hard to see his line disappear in the finals against St Louis when things got tough.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I am sure there are a few others, but I have them on ignore so I don't have to read their ridiculous crap.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I imagine that this will be a highly unpopular opinion, and I should preface this by saying that I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Pasta's progression from rookie to the player he is today. Seeing his big personality come through from day one has been cool too.

But I would seriously consider trading him for maximum value at some point in the next year or two, whilst he's in the prime age bracket. Perhaps when Marchand retires.

I think the best player comparable for him is his friend Nylander. They are very nice hockey players but it's pretty clear that this type of player can't carry the rest of the team on their back in the playoffs.

This was okay when Bergeron, Chara etc. were still around and he was a complimentary player, but now that he is 'the guy' - not so much. Seeing the team's designated best player perform with jelly legs has to impact the bench negatively.

I should reiterate that Pastrnak is generally one of my favorite players to watch, at least when the stakes aren't as high.

Feel free to kick me out of Bruins fandom for this post! :help:

You're really putting it out there, I'll give you that.

To me, Pasta is the 3rd-best RW in the league. A lot of Bruins fans will probably rank him no. 1 but personally I think Kucherov and Rantanen are slightly better, which is no knock on David because those guys are excellent players. Regardless, you don't trade a top-5 RW who's under 30. The odds of you landing a comparable talent, either via draft or trade, are ludicrously small. A player like that you absolutely cling on to, they're very rare.

I do wish his playoff performance was better. It's somewhere between good and very good, but he's never really reached that next level where he completely takes over a series or has a dominant stretch. He's impactful, but not especially so relative to his talent. But what he's delivered is fine enough, and you do have to allow for the fact that the Bruins have lacked offensive talent for a lot of his time, making it easier to focus on and shut him down as the standout star.

BTW, you're wrong about Nylander. He's a very strong playoff performer, and I suspect if you put him on a team that actually understands playoff hockey, he'd really shine.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Pasta has 5 shots in his last 3 games. He needs to shoot more!

the whole team needs to shoot more but they're entering zone's poorly and not getting good shot selections because they either dump it in and are beaten to the puck and have to scramble around not getting good looks or bring it into the zone but curl back and again get lanes clogged up so they keep looking for perfect openings.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Here's a list of the Bruins players with the best ppg averages in the playoffs, (minimum 35 games).

Bobby Orr - 1.243
Phil Esposito - 1.054
David Pastrnak - 0.989

If you have Pasta on your list of problems with this team, you just don't know hockey.

Not only does he put up playoff points at a pace with literal legends, he has shown all sorts of leadership qualities this playoff year.

...how about goals per playoff game you ask...?

Cam Neely - 0.613
Phil Esposito - 0.469
David Pastrnak - 0.443

Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

I think it was absolutely fair to criticize the core players on the team in the Leafs series. I mentioned that game 7 against the Leafs would determine who wants to be a part of the new core moving forward. That night, Pastrnak stepped up and showed why he should stay a Bruin.

He hasn't been scoring as much as he has in past playoff series, only scoring threat on his line so teams are focusing on him, but you can see the overall improvement in his game this playoffs. He has taken a leadership role, is willing to throw a hit, is willing to drop the gloves against someone he has no business getting involved with in order to rally his team, and has improved his two-way game.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If Pasta wasn't around we wouldn't be having this discussion because the Bruins would not have even made the playoffs.
100%.

Hell, we should dump Pasta because he has totally screwed us this whole season. Between him and our goalies, those three rooked us of a slam dunk best shot at the #1 OA lottery pick.

Reactions: mjhfb and Ladyfan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
the whole team needs to shoot more but they're entering zone's poorly and not getting good shot selections because they either dump it in and are beaten to the puck and have to scramble around not getting good looks or bring it into the zone but curl back and again get lanes clogged up so they keep looking for perfect openings.
That's basically the NHL PO now days. Most of the teams left have very good structure defensively. Those that can break that structure down like Florida and Edmonton
have at least 2 absolute elite players offensively plus 2 more highly skilled offensive
players. Boston has 1 elite in Pastrnak. Huge advantage offensively.

Add in Panthers dcorp is very good and Boston top 2 D lead the NHL in TO, Boston can't compete unless Swayman stands on his head.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
He's getting A LOT of attention, particularly on the PP. Not getting any space out there

Definitely getting smothered.

Also think he's not focusing enough on putting up points. He's out there trying to making sure he's doing his part physically and getting involved in all the rough stuff. It's good he's been doing that, but when you're counted upon as much as he is offensively, think it's time to start doing some flybys and stick checks, finding ways to stay in motion and make the puck your pure priority.

Think the rough stuff is tiring him out. That last full PP the Bruin's had game 4, he gave the puck up 4 times, and basically killed the PP alone.

This guy's got magic in his hands and we've yet to see it. Hope to see it tonight.

Reactions: lextune and CDJ

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Nope.

That's okay, you have every right to be wrong about Pasta! Lol

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Brad's turn to be the hero with a letter on the front of his jersey Friday and Pastrnak pulling on game 7 heroics. All of this relies of Swayman flat out stealing the next two games and Pastrnak finishing on his chances.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I do think he needs a new idea once he has the puck and he's covered a few feet into the blueline. Maybe you gotta dump that Pasta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad