Confirmed with Link: David Jones to the Wild for Niklas Backstrom and a 6th round pick

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
Finally the playmaking center we've been looking to acquire for years...

What do you mean there's two Nik Backstroms?

Aug 3, 2010
What a strange trade. Not like Calgary needs Backstrom, both players are UFA at season's end. I mean, Calgary gets a 6th round pick and save 600k in cap for the remainder of the season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
But, but, but... our 1RW?! noooooooooo!

Kidding. So it's a 6th for Jones. Which is about where his value is. Excited to see our youth get called up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm guessing Backstrom was included once it was made clear the Flames wouldn't retain salary. Semantics but maybe the Flames ownership group is just being pigheaded about salary retention.

Still, a 6th for Jones is a great deal. Especially since Pirri went for a 6th too and he doesn't have a 4M cap hit.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Am I the only one curious whether Backstrom is now our best goalie now?

This has got to be the lowest return ever for a first line winger. :sarcasm:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was wondering if having another Finn other than Ramo would help Jokipakka settle in on our team. But since the trade seemed like it was slapped together at the last moment, I doubt it and this is just coincidence.

EDIT: Was pointed out that Ortio is also a Finn.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Now that a bunch of vets have been traded off, I expect to see the Flames go on a 10 game winning streak.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Well, with Jones gone, I expect the team will implode. What with the culture being destroyed and what not.

Unfortunate they couldn't/wouldn't trade Colborne, but there's still a chance at the draft, I guess/hope.

No Kulak, oddly enough.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Is Backstrom healthy? Would like to see him play one game, so he gets one more before he's done

Uh...yeah! Let Backstrom play... so he get's another game in before he's, ahem, done. He's been such a great guy in this league, we should let him play the whole rest of the season! You know, cause it'd be nice to him... :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad