Confirmed with Link: Datsyuk Leaving Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He filled the Wings' coffers more than any other player this millenium.

Well, I mean, Lidstrom did play until 2012, so...

But yeah, I don't care what Datsyuk does. He's a human, not an owned commodity. Do whatever you want man. You gave your physical health for this team, so take a year early.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Cancer is not the gold standard, it's just an example. If you ask me, a good elementary school teacher "earns" at least as much as any pro athlete, and yet they make $40k/yr.

My point is take this guy off his pedestal. You can like him without worshiping him.

When the general public is willing to collectively pay millions of dollars to watch elementary school teachers excel at their professions they can negotiate multi-million dollar salaries.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The clueless post of the day. The difference in NHL hockey and KHL hockey is huge. :cry:

And yes, Datsyuk has earned the right to do whatever he wants. He filled the Wings' coffers more than any other player this millenium.

The difference between the NHL and KHL is significant but people are exaggerating the state of Datsyuk's ankle injury based on little information. The guy went straight from the Stanley Cup playoffs to the World Championship instead of rehabbing them so they can't be that bad.

It's interesting how Datsyuk walking away from the final year of his contract to play in Russia is excused because he's "earned the right to do whatever he wants." Meanwhile Zetterberg was regularly bashed here for playing a full season with a bad back, getting played way more minutes than he should, and still managing to lead the team in points.

I guess his play over the years somehow didn't earn him any rights like St. Datsyuk.

To be clear, I am and still will be a Datsyuk fan. But I'm not pretending him walking away to play in another league doesn't hurt the Wings.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
The difference between the NHL and KHL is significant but people are exaggerating the state of Datsyuk's ankle injury based on little information. The guy went straight from the Stanley Cup playoffs to the World Championship instead of rehabbing them so they can't be that bad.

It's interesting how Datsyuk walking away from the final year of his contract to play in Russia is excused because he's "earned the right to do whatever he wants." Meanwhile Zetterberg was regularly bashed here for playing a full season with a bad back, getting played way more minutes than he should, and still managing to lead the team in points.

I guess his play over the years somehow didn't earn him any rights like St. Datsyuk.

To be clear, I am and still will be a Datsyuk fan. But I'm not pretending him walking away to play in another league doesn't hurt the Wings.

The guy is literally playing on someone else's tendons. It's amazing he can still skate let alone play hockey. If anything we should be proud he managed to play through the season.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
When the general public is willing to collectively pay millions of dollars to watch elementary school teachers excel at their professions they can negotiate multi-million dollar salaries.

Thanks for that, but do you think you could follow it up with the point you're trying to make?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Thanks for that, but do you think you could follow it up with the point you're trying to make?

It's called supply and demand and it's a pretty basic concept.

Professional athletes "earn" what they deserve. They're elite commodities in a multi million/billion dollar business.

And they face challenges to their careers despite "earning" the wages that they do. Sports are physically demanding and often lead to injury (how many surgeries has Datsyuk had now in the past 5-6 years?) not the mention the potential long term effects of concussions. Additionally, their schedules and travel are grueling and they're often away from their families for extended periods of time. Athletes aren't just laughing all the way to the bank. It's hard and difficult work and that doesn't even take into consideration the constant shape they must keep while also dealing with external pressures from fans and media.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
I'm pretty whatever about this situation at this point, but Dats isn't being entirely forthcoming either. If all he really wanted was to be with his daughter, he'd let the Wings LTIR him and go to Russia for the year. Take the year off and then sign with a KHL team to finish off his career and make one more appearance on the Olympic team. It would benefit both parties. He doesn't appear to be willing to do this though, which is a bit sketchy.

You can't just LTIR contracts you don't like, they have to be unable to play and even though he has slowed down, Pavel is still a very good hockey player.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Well, I mean, Lidstrom did play until 2012, so...

But yeah, I don't care what Datsyuk does. He's a human, not an owned commodity. Do whatever you want man. You gave your physical health for this team, so take a year early.

Professional athletes "earn" what they deserve. They're elite commodities in a multi million/billion dollar business.

And they face challenges to their careers despite "earning" the wages that they do. Sports are physically demanding and often lead to injury (how many surgeries has Datsyuk had now in the past 5-6 years?) not the mention the potential long term effects of concussions. Additionally, their schedules and travel are grueling and they're often away from their families for extended periods of time. Athletes aren't just laughing all the way to the bank. It's hard and difficult work and that doesn't even take into consideration the constant shape they must keep while also dealing with external pressures from fans and media.

Which is it boys?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The guy is literally playing on someone else's tendons. It's amazing he can still skate let alone play hockey. If anything we should be proud he managed to play through the season.
That's what happens in a lot of surgeries involving tendons. ACL, Tommy John, etc. but my point wasn't really about his recovery. It's that his ankles must be feeling pretty good if he went straight from the playoffs to the World Championships instead of resting.

People make it sounds as if he's playing on busted ankles and is only going to play in a beer league next year.

Datsyuk playing 3rd line minutes for the Wings for 50 games next season is much better than no Datsyuk playing for the Wings but them still taking his cap hit.

He put up 49 points in 66 games coming right off the surgery and was often the Wings best payer. After an offseason of rehabbing his ankles he could very well be even better.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Okay? You've constructed a bunch of brilliant arguments that you can feel free to use against anyone who says athletes shouldn't be making as much money as they are.

Would you like to attempt to relate it to my main point?:----> "My point is take this guy off his pedestal. You can like him without worshiping him."

TheRedMachine

Feb 5, 2016

If Z wants to bail on the last year of his contract to play back home then he, like Datsyuk, earned it.

These Athletes don't owe the team, owners, media, fans absolutely anything.

Well, contract..... Right?
His penalty is not getting paid the remaining year.

But it was front loaded, so he should finish it?!? Blame the GM that signed a guy who clearly wanted to go back home and front loaded the contract in the first place.

I see a flawed management philosophy. Stop treating the players as family, get rid of the old boys club. Trade guys. Let guys walk. Play the kids.

I'm just ranting now.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
If Z wants to bail on the last year of his contract to play back home then he, like Datsyuk, earned it.

These Athletes don't owe the team, owners, media, fans absolutely anything.

Well, contract..... Right?
His penalty is not getting paid the remaining year.

But it was front loaded, so he should finish it?!? Blame the GM that signed a guy who clearly wanted to go back home and front loaded the contract in the first place.

I see a flawed management philosophy. Stop treating the players as family, get rid of the old boys club. Trade guys. Let guys walk. Play the kids.

I'm just ranting now.

i don't agree with this

people are acting like holland forced datsyuk to sign this contract. if he clearly wanted to go home, why bother even signing a contract in the first place?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Which is it boys?

Subject object inversion, labor becomes the commodity. So it's both. It's really dialectical.

i don't agree with this

people are acting like holland forced datsyuk to sign this contract. if he clearly wanted to go home, why bother even signing a contract in the first place?

It sounds like he wanted to go year to year, but Holland's cap hell meant he couldn't pay actual value. Holland convinced him to do 3 years to circumvent this. A year later Dats is hurt and wants to do a victory lap and hang'em up. This is the risk inherent within the agreement, as Dats has made it clear his intentions was to play the end of his career in Russia, it seems that that end has come faster than KH thought.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
It sounds like he wanted to go year to year, but Holland's cap hell meant he couldn't pay actual value. Holland convinced him to do 3 years to circumvent this. A year later Dats is hurt and wants to do a victory lap and hang'em up. This is the risk inherent within the agreement, as Dats has made it clear his intentions was to play the end of his career in Russia, it seems that that end has come faster than KH thought.

if that's the case he should have taken a little less money if he wanted one year deals

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So it looks like Pavel will opt not to sign in Yekaterinburg with Avtomobilist... Feel like I said that would happen. Also bet by the time pen hits paper he makes more than 5.5 million US in the take home department.

For those wondering why I bring this up. I am five minutes closer flight time to Detroit in the southwest corner of Florida than Pavel is from St. Petersburg to Yekateringburg.

The parade towards the bad ending continues. Guess we can go back to the injury less games excuse even though I am pretty sure the Wings would let Pavel sit out 20 games, they have been doing it for several years now anyway....

This I am going home to be right there stuff can go away though. There is a team right there in his home city and right where his daughter lives. But they stink and they are cheap in terms of the KHL, what a mystery it doesn't appear like he is going to end up there. Gee, I kind of thought that was his priority, right wasn't it?? Oh....

LowFive

In Stevie We Trust
Jun 19, 2014
Okay? You've constructed a bunch of brilliant arguments that you can feel free to use against anyone who says athletes shouldn't be making as much money as they are.

Would you like to attempt to relate it to my main point?:----> "My point is take this guy off his pedestal. You can like him without worshiping him."

... And others are free to worship him while you may just like him. If that many people appreciate what he does, who are you to tell them to curb their enthusiasm for the guy? I don't pick your childhood heroes for you.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
Is the source even reliable? Everyone is getting so upset over something that isn't confirmed. Maybe that newspaper is the Russian Eklund and just trying to get clicks.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
... And others are free to worship him while you may just like him. If that many people appreciate what he does, who are you to tell them to curb their enthusiasm for the guy? I don't pick your childhood heroes for you.

Jesus.

You know we are on a discussion board, right?

You know the only reason to go to this website is to share your opinion and read the opinions of others, right?

Others have expressed in this thread that Datsyuk has "earned" the right to do whatever he wants regardless of how it effects the organization.

I've thoughtfully explained my opinion that all Datsyuk has "earned" is the infinity dollars he gets to take home to Russia and fill a swimming pool with.

If you wish to disagree and continue praying to the Almighty Pavel then be my guest without being a ****** about it to me.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
datsyuk dosent owe the wings anything more than the wings owe datsyuk, period

to argue one way is to argue against the other which would eb wrong

datsyuk dosent "owe" us another season and we dont "owe" datsyuk so as to not suspend him

pavel needs to do whats best for pavel and holland need only do whats best for the DRW

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

datsyuk dosent "owe" us another season and we dont "owe" datsyuk so as to not suspend him

pavel needs to do whats best for pavel and holland need only do whats best for the DRW

Datsyuk is breaching his contract.... Right now legally speaking he absolutely owes the Wings a year...

I think the Wings owe this to their league partners to crush this in court. He isn't going to sign with Yekaterinburg, he is also extremely likely to get a raise. Rather than the weak attempt at colluding like the Devils with Kovalchuk. I hope the Wings challenge this with the appropriate governing bodies.

I don't want to see this crap play out with Ovechkin or Malkin or hopefully superstar Svechnikov brothers...

Signing a contract isn't really all that difficult and it has real world applications all the time. The dereliction of that contract falls on Pavel, keep the excuse machine going. He is breaking an agreement for one he sees as better. Good on him, but lawyer up do the league a solid and torch this behavior for the NHL. That is what I hope the Wings do, sorry it has come to this but this is a mountain of crap that Pavel pulled out. SKA what a shocker there.:sarcasm: SKA, Dynamo or CSKA were the only outcomes here, you know the only teams that could pay him more than the Wings. That simple and he did so under contract, this is sooo much worse than what Fedorov did.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Datsyuk is breaching his contract.... Right now legally speaking he absolutely owes the Wings a year...

I think the Wings owe this to their league partners to crush this in court. He isn't going to sign with Yekaterinburg, he is also extremely likely to get a raise. Rather than the weak attempt at colluding like the Devils with Kovalchuk. I hope the Wings challenge this with the appropriate governing bodies.

I don't want to see this crap play out with Ovechkin or Malkin or hopefully superstar Svechnikov brothers...

Signing a contract isn't really all that difficult and it has real world applications all the time. The dereliction of that contract falls on Pavel, keep the excuse machine going. He is breaking an agreement for one he sees as better. Good on him, but lawyer up do the league a solid and torch this behavior for the NHL. That is what I hope the Wings do, sorry it has come to this but this is a mountain of crap that Pavel pulled out. SKA what a shocker there.:sarcasm: SKA, Dynamo or CSKA were the only outcomes here, you know the only teams that could pay him more than the Wings. That simple and he did so under contract, this is sooo much worse than what Fedorov did.

i dont disagree with you in principle at all

and its why i am saying if he leaves we suspend him, we can not allow a player regardless of who it is who is under contract to screw us over and have a negative direct financial impact on our organization(and that impact cold resonate for years to come)

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Technically yes he does owe the Wings another season, Or he's in breach of his contract regardless he agreed to the 3 year deal. Maybe he only wanted 1 year but bottom line he agreed to 3 years so yes he owes Detroit another year.

Datsyuk can leave all he wants to go back home to Russia and at the same time Ken Holland could be a jerk and say that either you play for Detroit this year or i will suspend you and guess what you wont be playing in the KHL next season.

Either way Datsyuk agreed to this deal, Regardless that he wants to be close to his daughter. He should've stuck to his guns on a 1 year deal he didn't do that so bottom line he's breaching his contract no other way to put it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

The way I see it, he only owes them a year if he wants to get paid. If I leave a contract at work, I'm free to do so, they can't make me show up. But I give up all my salary, including any signing bonuses that were worked into the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad