Darryl Sittler

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Just wanting to get some information regarding Sittlers style of play. How was he looked upon defensively?

He led his team 8 years in a row in scoring and was an all star in the 76 Canada Cup.
He never had a great supporting cast in Toronto and clashed with Gm Harrold Ballard. Does anybody have any information on why he butted heads with Ballard.

Thanks

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
"any publicity is good publicity"

I think Ballard ran his team like a ruthless dictator and tried to control everything down to players salaries. Sittlers increasing roll with the NHLPA drove the steak through the friendship I believe. Don't quote me on that as I wasn't even born when this happened.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sittler+ballard :sarcasm:

Also from Ballard's wiki entry:

[edit] Relationship with Sittler

Ballard's desire to control players and their salaries also put him at odds with Alan Eagleson, executive director of the NHL Players Association and a player agent whose clients included Keon's successor as captain, Darryl Sittler. Ballard had once called Sittler "the son I never had", but relations between the two took a turn for the worse with Sittler's increasing prominence in the NHLPA. Around that time, the Leafs had made it as far as the conference finals in 1978, losing to the two-time defending champions Montreal Canadiens, but Ballard was criticized for not spending the extra money to take the team over the top (see below).

In July 1979, Ballard brought his longtime friend, former Leafs coach and general manager Punch Imlach, back to the organization as general manager. Imlach was as staunchly anti-union as Ballard; during his first stint in Toronto, he had been one of Eagleson's most ardent foes. With Ballard's support, Imlach moved to dismantle the roster and undermine Sittler's influence, despite many analysts viewing the team as having a promising future. Sittler was apparently untouchable as he had a no-trade clause in his contract and, through his agent Eagleson, had insisted on $500,000 to waive it. When the Leafs traded Sittler's close friend Lanny McDonald to the moribund Colorado Rockies on December 29, 1979, a member of the Leafs anonymously told the Toronto Star that Leafs management would "do anything to get at Sittler"[10] and was bent on undermining the captain's influence on the team. Angry teammates trashed their dressing room in response, while Sittler ripped the captain's C off his sweater, later commenting that a captain had to be the go-between with players and management, and he no longer had any communication with management.[11] Ballard would liken Sittler's actions to burning the Canadian flag.[12] Eagleson called the trade "a classless act."[10]

Through the summer of 1980, Ballard insisted that Sittler would not be back with the Leafs. As Imlach was preparing to trade Sittler to the Quebec Nordiques, he had a heart attack in August and was hospitalized. Ballard used the opportunity to name himself acting general manager and hold talks with Sittler, and the two agreed that Sittler would return to the team for the 1980–81 season. Both men appeared together at a news conference described as "all smiles and buddy-buddy"[13] to announce that Sittler would be at training camp, with the C back on his sweater, reassuming the role of team captain.[13] Ballard told the press that the real battle had been between Imlach and Eagleson, and Sittler just got caught in the crossfire. Ballard also signed Börje Salming to a new contract with terms that Imlach had refused to offer.

Ballard remained as de facto general manager even when Imlach recovered. In September 1981, after Imlach had another heart attack, Ballard told the media that Imlach's poor health meant that "he's through as general manager". Imlach was never officially fired, but when he tried to return to his office in November, he found that his parking spot at Maple Leaf Gardens had been reassigned and Gerry McNamara had been made acting general manager. Imlach never returned to work and his contract was allowed to expire. Though Imlach was gone, Sittler's relationship with the Leafs worsened again in the 1981–82 season and he was traded that year to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well first of all, Ballard wasnt "officially GM" he was the owner of the Leafs, though his running interference with Gregory, Stellick & Imlach was almost as legendary as his debauchery with Smythe Jr. through the late 50's to 72; then the handcuffs, jail; purporting he was able to order up steak dinners & "broads" delivered right to his cell. Total headcase.... Sittler's 2 way game was excellent btw, the straw that broke the Camels Back coming when Ballard brought back Caveman Punch Imlach; trading away best friend & linemate Lanny MacDonald; cutting the 'C' off of his jersey in protest over that, Roger Neilsons hiring/firing/re-hiring, conflicts over the NHLPA's negotiated rights to participate in a TV Show called Showdown & on & on. It was quite a few years before he was able to forgive & forget, something David Keon has yet to fully do when it comes to Toronto & the Leafs.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Well first of all, Ballard wasnt "officially GM" he was the owner of the Leafs, though his running interference with Gregory, Stellick & Imlach was almost as legendary as his debauchery with Smythe Jr. through the late 50's to 72; then the handcuffs, jail; purporting he was able to order up steak dinners & "broads" delivered right to his cell. Total headcase.... Sittler's 2 way game was excellent btw, the straw that broke the Camels Back coming when Ballard brought back Caveman Punch Imlach; trading away best friend & linemate Lanny MacDonald; cutting the 'C' off of his jersey in protest over that, Roger Neilsons hiring/firing/re-hiring, conflicts over the NHLPA's negotiated rights to participate in a TV Show called Showdown & on & on. It was quite a few years before he was able to forgive & forget, something David Keon has yet to fully do when it comes to Toronto & the Leafs.

Awesome information thanks!

Any link or source for the bolded or is from watching him as a fan?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Awesome information thanks!...Any link or source for the bolded or is from watching him as a fan?

Google "Sittler 10 Point Game" & you'll find a bunch of videos. He pulled a double Hat Trick against Boston one night; 3 Goals in the 2nd & another 3 in the 3rd period along with assists, a record that still stands to this day. He took over the Captaincy from Dave Keon in 73 (?) or 4, consistently scoring 30-40 goals + in most seasons. An excellent 2 way player, hard working, quiet & respected by all. A real gentleman. The last great Captain until Gilmour arrived in Toronto, all due respect to Vaive & Ramage. Just a shame he & all Torontonians had to suffer through the indignities wrought by Ballard not only with the team & personnel but so too with the absolute evil that went on behind closed doors at Maple Leaf Gardens throughout his rein of terror & error.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
As a Leaf fan who watched every possible game during his career I find myself measuring every Leaf team by the starting 6 of that era.

Only Gilmour comes close to Sittler as a captain after all these years. No disrespect to all the others but Sittler was a complete package. A local boy so to speak who was a Leaf's draft pick too which made it all extra special.

Sittler's team made me proud to be a Leaf fan.

Yes he's under rated.

Trading Lanny was a disgrace but at least he got a cup.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Only Gilmour comes close to Sittler as a captain after all these years. No disrespect to all the others but Sittler was a complete package. A local boy so to speak who was a Leaf's draft pick too which made it all extra special.Sittler's team made me proud to be a Leaf fan.

Ditto on those sentiments. I became irretrievably cynical about the Leafs under Ballard throughout the 70's having grown up through that era & the 60's in Toronto. As mentioned earlier, all due respect to Vaive & Ramage but it really wasnt until Gilmours Captaincy that the team returned to any modicum of respectability, returning to moribund status thereafter which of course continues to this very day.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
As a kid, my two favourite teams were the Habs and Leafs in that order. The day Sittler was traded was the straw that broke the camel's back. I haven't cheered for that franchise since then.

Sittler was a very good two way center and leader and one of the best people I have ever met from the hockey world. Just a great guy and still my all-time favourite Leaf.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The day Sittler was traded was the straw that broke the camel's back. I haven't cheered for that franchise since then....Sittler was a very good two way center and leader and one of the best people I have ever met from the hockey world. Just a great guy and still my all-time favourite Leaf.

I think there must be an ocean of us out floating around rudderless who felt/feel the same way PPJ. I really lost interest in the Leafs & to a larger extent the NHL thereafter. A real tipping point for many. I too got to know him, and actually fairly well through business, flashes of anger & sadness apparent in his eyes whenever the subject of his departure, trials & tribulations with Ballard was broached. Class act.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad