Player Discussion Darnell Nurse | Evolution

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I gotta say I was one of his biggest detractors before this season.

He definitely made me eat some crow. He’s raised the level of his game this year and it’s been a damn pleasure to watch.

here’s hoping that he keeps it up.

guy is a workhorse and a beast.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Sweet baby Jesus, how fast was the bus driver going or did they bus to Regina and fly from there? :DD

Congrats to Darnell on becoming a dad, he played one hell of a game despite his mind no doubt being elsewhere at times.

Reactions: Oilers90

antropomorphia

May 9, 2021
Sign this man long term. Like yesterday.

He took the step forward he needed to this year. Hes an absolute warrior out there. Hes the type of guy you need for a deep playoff run.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Should be an Oilers for life. Lock him up 8x8. He's part of the core now with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Really happy with how his game developed. The step forward he took this season was immense. His work ethic is insane.

I'd love to see Nurse and Bouchard as a pairing next year.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Always said Nurse was the stud D on this club. Better than Klefbom in every aspect, better defensively, offensively, can eat endless minutes, made of titanium.

What an athlete.

When asked about how he played 62mins. "I guess thats why I train" lol. It was nothing much to him and he played those minutes very well.

Jets response all night was basically oh not Nurse again, we're not getting anything.

Last night he was the Oilers best player. He was the best Oiler in the series with 3 solid games.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nothing in the world like becoming a father, congrats Nurse.

He was solid all year and our best player in the playoffs by a wide margin to my eyes. I’ve been a Nurse backer from day one, glad to see him blossoming before our eyes.

He’s such an important piece of this team. Need to keep building this roster around him, McDavid, and Drai.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Member when everyone was livid we picked Nurse over Nichushkin. And said we only picked Nurse because MacTavish rode in the elevator with his dad?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Darnell Nurse

Some interestingly hot takes in there from 3/4 years ago.

Seems like most of HFOil had this kid pegged right. Glad it came to pass, what a workhorse he turned into. Lock em up, Kenny.

thats one of the more positive Nurse threads I have read on this board, good find, there’s some bad ones with bad takes though.

I have been one of Nurses biggest supporters on this board. Love the player.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Always said Nurse was the stud D on this club. Better than Klefbom in every aspect, better defensively, offensively, can eat endless minutes, made of titanium.

What an athlete.

When asked about how he played 62mins. "I guess thats why I train" lol. It was nothing much to him and he played those minutes very well.

Jets response all night was basically oh not Nurse again, we're not getting anything.

Last night he was the Oilers best player. He was the best Oiler in the series with 3 solid games.
All things you say are correct. I will say though, that both he and Larsson started to falter a bit and you could see some tiny mistakes creeping in as the OT's dragged on. This is what happens though when your coach throttles down to 4 dmen half way through the 3rd period in a hotly contested elimination game, in the 2nd of a back to back, and doesn't insert a set of fresh legs until halfway through the 3rd OT. But that's all I'll say about that. So while not Superhuman, he is close!

Reactions: nabob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All things you say are correct. I will say though, that both he and Larsson started to falter a bit and you could see some tiny mistakes creeping in as the OT's dragged on. This is what happens though when your coach throttles down to 4 dmen half way through the 3rd period in a hotly contested elimination game, in the 2nd of a back to back, and doesn't insert a set of fresh legs until halfway through the 3rd OT. But that's all I'll say about that. So while not Superhuman, he is close!
I think part of that is due to the trust issues Tippett has with his d core. It wasn't uncommon during the year either for him to favour guys so heavily.

Holland really needs to find another rock for that back end. We were quite lucky the season that Nurse and Larsson had for us, but over 82 games we are going to need that help.

Then again I'm not as concerned with Nurse as he seems to understand the work that has to go into an off-season and hopefully he can continue to grow and be more noticed around the league.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You know I've always had a ton of respect for Maurice as a person. The fact that Laine couldn't make it work with him really makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with the kid.
I feel like I recall him taking a lot of heat with Jets fans and I never got why. It's hard to win a cup but he seems to be really well liked by his team, and I think he does a bang up job. I'm with you.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I feel like I recall him taking a lot of heat with Jets fans and I never got why. It's hard to win a cup but he seems to be really well liked by his team, and I think he does a bang up job. I'm with you.
Kinda what happens when you go deep in the playoffs and then bounced first round and then play ins.

Lots of fans have the mentality that you get better every year until you win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad