Video Darcy Tucker vs. Chris Neil in Ottawa's Bench

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The playoff series against the Habs have inspired a bit of a rivalry, but nothing at the level of hatred in these old Leafs-Sens tilts.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
According to one of the linesmen from this game, Tucker just snapped and jumped into the bench. No trash-talking, no dirty actions, nothing beforehand. The narrative of being spit on was to cover up the idiocy of it.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
According to one of the linesmen from this game, Tucker just snapped and jumped into the bench. No trash-talking, no dirty actions, nothing beforehand. The narrative of being spit on was to cover up the idiocy of it.

Green was also pissed off at Neil about something, so I don't think it was completely out of left field.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Dean Brown and...Garrey Galley?

I thought it was Greg Millen...

Green was also pissed off at Neil about something, so I don't think it was completely out of left field.

IIRC, a rumour not long after suggested that Neil said something untoward about Shayne Corson's wife (Tucker is married to Corson's sister and they were and are really close friends) and Tucker snapped.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Sorry for bumping, but I updated the title to add the "Video" sub-title to the name.

For those Maple Leafs fans who thoght I was being a tad biased, here's the Toronto feed:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Gotta love the fight music from Star Trek TOS "Amok Time" and "The Gong Show" reference from the Ottawa play-by-play guy:

I wonder if Darcy got suspended.

Does going after a player in the bench happens often in other leagues?

I saw it in the AHL in Milwaukee, maybe 2005-06. Rocky Thompson 6'2" 200 lbs was a dirty Dman for Peoria. He blindsided an Admirals player in Period one and then rocketed to his bench. Every time that Tootoo or Sheldon Brookbank or Zack Stortini stepped onto the ice, Thompson would immediately go to his bench. After doing this 3 or 4 times, the fans noticed. They would boo the moment that Thompson put a skate on the ice. One time in period 1, the Admirals changed lines for a face off. Thompson was on the ice and he came off before the puck was dropped.

In Period 2, he did something (elbowed somebody in the face? I don't remember) and headed for his bench again. An Admiral followed him and pulled him back out the door to fight. I think it was Greg Zanon, 5'11" 200 lbs, one of the smallest guys on the team. Zanon looked like a hammer mill hitting the taller Thompson. He beat the snot out of him. The refs had missed both penalties committed by Thompson and the Admirals were out to shed his blood. Thompson left the ice with a cut face. The fans were jeering and throwing cups at him.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
One other Admirals fight involving a bench. I was listening on the radio to a game at Las Vegas. An Admirals player (David Gosselin) was knocked down in front of the Thunder's bench. A Las Vegas player on the bench used his stick to poke the Gosselin in the back. The Admirals came off of the bench and were going at it with the other bench. The back up goalie to Chris Mason, Kay Whitmore, was fighting. Whitmore only played in 1998-99 for Milwaukee and racked up 25 PIMs. When I asked him about it a month or two later, he just laughed and said "Me? In a fight?" and walked away. Hockeydb says he is 5'11" and 175 lbs. That was in the IHL days.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Neil hit Green earlier in that period, and Green was upset. He took a run at Hnidy and got a penalty. Tucker’s reaction was over the top, but there could have been more to it we don’t know about. Green was a little bitch of a player though. Wanna be tough guy who got tougher players to fight his battles for him. I have no respect for that piece of shit.

Either way, it was a memorable night in Ottawa. Quinn made that thing up about Neil spitting on Tucker. Tucker even admitted that on Ottawa radio a couple of years ago. He said Quinn knew he was going to get suspended, so he tried to do something to try and get the league to go easier on Tucker. Say what you want about Quinn, he always had his players backs. I hated him during that time though.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I always admired Tuckers heart as a Sens fan, losing basically every altercation he started and yet continuing the same pattern.

Reactions: OmniCube

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Damn I used to love Tucker, such a small guy but big heart, big mouth plus good hands, dunno who could be compared to him now??

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Green got hit by Neil earlier in the period. He didn’t like it, so he took a run at Hnidy and then skated towards the Sens bench after the whistle to point at Neil and say something to him. Then Tucker flies in and all hell breaks loose.

Tucker got suspended and Neil got fined. Quinn made up the thing about Neil spitting on Tucker. Tucker confirmed this on Ottawa radio a few years ago when he came on to talk about Neil after he retired. He said he figured Quinn knew he was going to be suspended, so he tried to get the suspension to come down by saying Neil spit on him.

“Kid spit on him. How do you like that in our game?” Was the quote from Quinn after the game. Neil denied it when asked by the media.

Ya, just looked through the thread to see I already posted this a few months back. Guess I’m getting forgetful in my old age.

:)

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Damn I used to love Tucker, such a small guy but big heart, big mouth plus good hands, dunno who could be compared to him now??

A less talented Marchand?

I mean....I feel Tucker was more fiesty but Marchand is obviously a better offensive threat. I think it might be the best comparison though.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
A less talented Marchand?

I mean....I feel Tucker was more fiesty but Marchand is obviously a better offensive threat. I think it might be the best comparison though.

Somewhere between Marchand and Gallagher is probably fair.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
IIRC, a rumour not long after suggested that Neil said something untoward about Shayne Corson's wife (Tucker is married to Corson's sister and they were and are really close friends) and Tucker snapped.

Tucker was apparently sensitive to being chirped at.

Slur sparks vow of revenge

In the teams' game Saturday in Toronto, the sparks started midway through the third period when Leafs forward Garry Valk knocked Sabres goaltender Dominik Hasek into the boards, and then burst into flame when Sabres enforcer Rob Ray was accused of directing a personal insult to Leafs centre Shayne Corson...

About five minutes later, Corson was given a 10-minute misconduct, which put him out of the game. A few minutes after that, Ray fought with Darcy Tucker, Corson's linemate and brother-in-law. Apparently Ray made the insulting remark about Corson while he and Tucker were being restrained by the linesmen.

Both Ray and Tucker were given major penalties, which meant they were finished for the evening as well. After he was ushered off the ice, Tucker charged toward the Sabres' dressing room.

Witnesses in the corridor under the stands said Tucker shouted threats at Ray. Leaf forward Tie Domi, who had been thrown out of the game after intervening in the Warrener-Valk fight, came out of the Leaf dressing room and helped convince Tucker to leave. Corson also arrived to calm Tucker down.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Tucker was apparently sensitive to being chirped at.

Slur sparks vow of revenge

In the teams' game Saturday in Toronto, the sparks started midway through the third period when Leafs forward Garry Valk knocked Sabres goaltender Dominik Hasek into the boards, and then burst into flame when Sabres enforcer Rob Ray was accused of directing a personal insult to Leafs centre Shayne Corson...

About five minutes later, Corson was given a 10-minute misconduct, which put him out of the game. A few minutes after that, Ray fought with Darcy Tucker, Corson's linemate and brother-in-law. Apparently Ray made the insulting remark about Corson while he and Tucker were being restrained by the linesmen.

Both Ray and Tucker were given major penalties, which meant they were finished for the evening as well. After he was ushered off the ice, Tucker charged toward the Sabres' dressing room.

Witnesses in the corridor under the stands said Tucker shouted threats at Ray. Leaf forward Tie Domi, who had been thrown out of the game after intervening in the Warrener-Valk fight, came out of the Leaf dressing room and helped convince Tucker to leave. Corson also arrived to calm Tucker down.

You know it's a crazy day when Tie Domi is the level head in the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad