Injury Report: Darcy Kuemper (Marinating in Iowa)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Hell yes!

A part of me wants to see Kuemper-Bryz combo this season.

Billy Mays Here*

No problem with it from my end. Fletcher "caving" won't have any effect on the other kids he needs to re-sign next year. None of them are going to get a two way, except maybe Haula if he has a bad season this year. Only way Folin has a chance at a one way is if he not only makes the team this season, but plays a substantial amount of games too.

Kuemper's contract is for a more than reasonable price too so it's not like Granlund, Brodin, etc. are going to be expecting to pull one over on Chuck and ask for ridiculous money.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
No problem with it from my end. Fletcher "caving" won't have any effect on the other kids he needs to re-sign next year. None of them are going to get a two way, except maybe Haula if he has a bad season this year. Only way Folin has a chance at a one way is if he not only makes the team this season, but plays a substantial amount of games too.

Kuemper's contract is for a more than reasonable price too so it's not like Granlund, Brodin, etc. are going to be expecting to pull one over on Chuck and ask for ridiculous money.

Unless they have bad years I doubt Granlund or Brodin are signing a bridge deal.

Last edited:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
lets trade him. he's obviously an awesome NHL goalie, and he's young and reasonable. what team wouldn't want to give us something for him. no sense in keeping an NHL goalie in the AHL when we could pick up Bryz for as cheap as Kuemper as Backs/Hards insurance.

serious proposition. if he's as good as you all think we can ship him off to edmonton for a decent pick...not like they need picks.

Last edited:

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
lets trade him. he's obviously an awesome NHL goalie, and he's young and reasonable. what team wouldn't want to give us something for him. no sense in keeping an NHL goalie in the AHL when we could pick up Bryz for as cheap as Kuemper as Backs/Hards insurance.

serious proposition. if he's as good as you all think we can ship him off to edmonton for a decent pick...not like they need picks.

They're just going to waste them, anyway.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
They're just going to waste them, anyway.

:laugh:

see! perfect scenario. i don't suppose Kuemper is from the area? could play the "local guy" card too. that has to be worth at least a bump up a round.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
:laugh:

see! perfect scenario. i don't suppose Kuemper is from the area? could play the "local guy" card too. that has to be worth at least a bump up a round.

It was too easy, I had to take the cheap shot. :handclap:

Kuemper was born in Saskatoon (5-6 hour drive), but played in Red Deer (halfway between Edmonton and Calgary).

I think we could try to make up the narrative that he's always liked the area. Every NHL'er who's ever even been to Minnesota gets linked to us, why not the same thing for Alberta?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i just about replied to his "so glad to be back" tweet with a question about how well he likes the Edmonton area.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008

We don't need picks either. He's our best option for a longterm solution in goal. Backstrom is on the downward slide of his career. Bryz is a good option today. He isn't old, but at 34 when does he start to drop off? Gustafson still looks to be a work in progress. He might become a quality starter someday. If I'm wagering I would say him being a decent back-up has better odds. Not that Kuemper is guaranteed to become a quality starter, but it's better to have more than one option in the system.

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Geez, a lot of hate flying Kuemper's way. If it truly was the one-way deal holding negotiations back - which I kind of doubt it was just that - then I'd say it was Fletcher who was getting greedy. Kuemper earned some respect with his performances in 2013-14 and I'd say that the deal he signed was a pretty fair one all things considered.

Just because a player doesn't agree with the value a front office places on him doesn't make him the villain in negotiations.

If you want some perspective go check out Johansen and the Blue Jackets. Now thats a mess.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't hate him, but I don't think he was worth even messing around with. he is a replacement level goalie. goalie of the future? i really, really doubt it considering how this negotiation went. I do hope they trade him now while he's got two full years on his contract. Hey, we could always enter the bidding war for him when he tests free agency!

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I don't understand the tone here, he's the team's best goalie.

Unless you are counting a healthy Harding which I'm not sure we'll ever see again.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
The assumption that the Wild were against the one way the entire time isn't logical. Fletcher isn't stupid.

Of all things that could have held it up, the one way contract was by far the least likely, seeing as he wasn't waiver eligible.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't understand the tone here, he's the team's best goalie.

Unless you are counting a healthy Harding which I'm not sure we'll ever see again.
He's only average when he's at his best. He's not a goaltender that's going to take you anywhere. The fact that 2 for 2 contract negotiations with him have been a pita says a lot IMO.

I'll be glad when we have someone else here that is more of a legit goalie of the future. He's just a place holder right now IMO.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He's only average when he's at his best. He's not a goaltender that's going to take you anywhere. The fact that 2 for 2 contract negotiations with him have been a pita says a lot IMO.

I'll be glad when we have someone else here that is more of a legit goalie of the future. He's just a place holder right now IMO.

He had a .920 save% from January through the playoffs.

Except for the disastrous first call up, he was solidly above average.

And he's been down right elite in his limited showings in the AHL the last two years(limited because he's always up here because our other goalies can't stay healthy).

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul

I think he has a chance to be elite. He's been successful wherever he's played his entire young career. The Wild's system is set up for a goalie to be successful. I think he has an consistency problem. Seemed like when he was on he was very good but also very cocky. When he was bad he was really bad. Hopefully management can sit down with him and let him know they believe he can be a #1 but he is also very replaceable.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I think he has a chance to be elite. He's been successful wherever he's played his entire young career. The Wild's system is set up for a goalie to be successful. I think he has an consistency problem. Seemed like when he was on he was very good but also very cocky. When he was bad he was really bad. Hopefully management can sit down with him and let him know they believe he can be a #1 but he is also very replaceable.

To be fair, that's typically how elite goalies are. They are incredibly confident, whether it's quiet or not. And they often have a select few starts that are laughably bad. That's what happens when you are aggressive.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

If he is only average when he was at his best we wouldnt have made the playoffs this year, He saved the Season in January

He got what he wanted in contact negotiations. We all know nobody on this forum would do everything they could to get more money at their job if they had a say in it! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad