Danish top prospect Lars Eller

ollien

Jan 9, 2007
wondering about this guy, seems an intriguing prospect. anyone who knows anything about him or has seen him play, input would be much appreciated.

what is his long term upside? what position is he likely to go this year? what player currently in the nhl does he resemble? which team would he fit best with in today's nhl?

thanks guys.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
wondering about this guy, seems an intriguing prospect. anyone who knows anything about him or has seen him play, input would be much appreciated.

what is his long term upside? what position is he likely to go this year? what player currently in the nhl does he resemble? which team would he fit best with in today's nhl?

thanks guys.

i dont know much about he's game, but i have heard he is most likely to go early second round. him and mikkel bodker beat team norway U-18 all by themselves with four points each. and a very good friend of mine played goalie for norway.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002

thanks guys.

- He could be a late first rounder, I suppose, not having seen many of the top prospects outside of Sweden. IMO he is the top prospect playing in Sweden eligible for the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

- He kind of reminds me of Henrik Zetterberg, although with little more speed IMO.

- Next season he will either 1) Play another junior league season in Sweden 2) Sign a youth contract with Frölunda's SEL team and play some SEL hockey, but mostly junior hockey 3) Go to the CHL like some successful Danes have been doing the past years

- As a player, Eller is very complete. Good speed, technical skills, very nice hockey sense and passes. Quite explosive with good puck control. One of those players that can actually be really dominant in a game. In the Swedish junior league he has very good chemistry with 89-born Swede Simon Hjalmarsson, who is usually the sniper on that line while Eller sets him up.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark

thanks guys.

Lars has a pretty interesting background - his dad's been a hockey player/coach since... well, a very long time. He actually has a jersey in the "world" section of the hockey hall of fame. Olaf'll make sure his kid makes the right decision. The fact that Jannik Hansen - who used to play for Olaf - has come along so well in North America (presently with the Manitoba Moose) I think'll have a positive impact towards North American possibilities for Lars.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
- He kind of reminds me of Henrik Zetterberg, although with little more speed IMO.

Interesting.

Hope the Canucks find a way to snag him with one of our 4 picks in the top 60. Considering we have Jannik Hansen in the system, it would be nice to line him up with a countrymate.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
- He could be a late first rounder, I suppose, not having seen many of the top prospects outside of Sweden. IMO he is the top prospect playing in Sweden eligible for the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

- Next season he will either 1) Play another junior league season in Sweden 2) Sign a youth contract with Frölunda's SEL team and play some SEL hockey, but mostly junior hockey 3) Go to the CHL like some successful Danes have been doing the past years

- As a player, Eller is very complete. Good speed, technical skills, very nice hockey sense and passes. Quite explosive with good puck control. One of those players that can actually be really dominant in a game. In the Swedish junior league he has very good chemistry with 89-born Swede Simon Hjalmarsson, who is usually the sniper on that line while Eller sets him up.

Thanks for the information. Any player who reminds someone of Zetterberg will be someone I'll have to look into. Henrik Zetterberg and Martin Havlat are my favorite players in the NHL.

Eller is quite unknown at this moment, right?

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Intriguing to see the Danes starting to build up a good stock of youngsters.. maybe they can start to compete even more on the adult circuit soon.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Intriguing to see the Danes starting to build up a good stock of youngsters.. maybe they can start to compete even more on the adult circuit soon.

The only problem is that some of their best players might still be in the NHL playoffs and would miss the World Championships so we might only see their full potential as a team at the World Cup or Olympics.

There is a possibility at least 9 Danish players will have either been drafted by an NHL team, played in the AHL, or spent time in the NHL by the 2012 World Cup. With teams 8 through to 12 likely to have their best groups yet, it would make sense to expand it beyond an 8 team limit.

8-12 Ranked Hockey teams:
Germany (Goc, Strum, Ehrhoff, Seidenberg, Schubert, Hecht, Greiss, F. Schutz, etc)
Switzerland (Gerber, Aebischer, Streit, Fischer, Ramholt, Helbling, Stephan, Simek, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, etc)
Denmark (Hansen, Regin, Staal, Nielsen, Starkov, Madsen, Eller, Bodker, Larsen, Lauridsen, etc)
Austria (Vanek, Pock, Nodl, Grabner, Brandner, Divis, etc)
Latvia/Belarus/Norway/Kazakstan

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Slightly off topic but one of my teachers last semester was Danish. He knew of Jannik Hansen and was very excited to here that he has a chance to make the NHL.

I'm going to join the Canucks Draft Eller bandwagon. My hopes are for him and Repik with their two picks.

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Lars Eller

This guy is putting huge numbers in the Swedish junior league this year…He also was the best player for Demark at the last U-20…He's 47th on Mckeens list…Anybody has more infos???

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
I'm really hoping Zach Hamill and him drop to around the range the Canucks will be picking with their first and two seconds.

Naslund-Eller-Hansen :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Eller was right behimd Joakim Andersson on the CCS mid-terms for euroskaters way back in early Jan...since then he obviously impressed the ISS at the 5 Nations and with his play in the Super Elit U-20...but curiously the ISS doesn't have Eller in their top 30==whereas for Kyle Woodlief of Redline,Eller keeps impressing him as he has filled out his frame and is actually finished ahead of Frolunda Jrs U-20team-mate Andersson in team scoringin the Super Elit and is on Woodlief's "rising list"...
Personally I think a case can be made that both Andersson and Eller could be top twelve candidates in this draft...Backlund--slowed by injuries last year and never seeming to live upto his hype of a year ago-seems more like a riskier "unsure" pick similar to either Esposito (did not meet his hype expectation this season) or to Couture (perhaps we have not seen the "real" talent this year because of the health setbacks....anyway I have hunches that Andersson and Eller will turn out better than Esposito,Couture and Backlund...

Andersson is the BIG centre good 2-ways and on face-offs--if skating was the issue with some scouts,we heard similar "flaws" with Kopitar on skating--and that proved absolutely false...

With Eller--zero qualms about skating--he has world class break-way speed..I think both are way too downgraded in this draft and should be considered for the top 12...

Both should at least be "risers" on everybody's list ..CSS had them 4+5 on the euroskater list at mid-term so really the only reason they aren't on the top tens of other scouting orgs combined lists is the "perceived" notion that Europe is a weaker crop this year at the top than the nA skaters--but that perception may be off,and in any case when the early favourites hyped so much before this seaon (Esposito,Couture,Backlund) have apparently been bypassed by other,why not Andersson +Eller rising to near equal bypassing of those guys?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Here is Eller's scouting report from Elite Prospects.

A very allround and skilled forward. Eller has quick feet, soft hands and a good work ethic. He is a skilled playmaker, but also a decent scorer. Workd hard and is valuable in shorthanded situations. Quite spectacular player with few weaknesses.

He's a wildcard. A truly underrated player in the draft it seems. I think teams will be constantly looking to trade down as there are some quality players towards the end of the 1st round stretching into second.

AgentNaslund*

after the top 10 everyone is a wild card. :eek:

damn why cant we have another 2003? Every year seems to be a weak year. Talent is dropping off.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Eller goes top 15.

Bank on it.

This year's Grabner (underrated until draft time when people finally realize how valuable of a prospect he is).

I called Grabner going early last year and I'm calling on Eller to go early this year.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Eller at the Moscow championships later this spring. The Danes have had some good players in the SEL over the last couple of years, and more and more danes receives development.
Peter Regin of Timrå is another one, i wouldn't be surprised if he gets to the NHL one day.

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
And remember Mikkel Bødker. He is at least as big a talent as Eller. And in a few years you Swedes will learn about Mark Mieritz. If he continues his development he will be the biggest talent ever from Denmark.

We are looking forward to our national team in 5-10 years :)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That's good to here. I had a Danish teacher (as in he was Danish, not that I was learning Danish) and he was quite excited about Jannik Hansen potentially making the Canucks. I love seeing different hockey markets make progress.

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes we are producing good talents considering we only have about 4.200 hockey players - counting everything from junior to old-boys :)

On the side the US ambassador in Denmark, James P. Cain(former president of the Hurricanes), will try to get NHL teams to Denmark to play in the new arena in Aalborg. That would create some interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad