Denmark: Danish NT roster vs Norway 8-9th Nov.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
How come Norway play so bad since the last WC compared to earlier years? :shakehead Too much pressure to be great? As far as I know it's the same coach and playing system now as then, so it's very surprising.

ps. I see that Danish fans seem to think Tollefsen plays dirty. Are there any other players that Danish fans don't like, and are there some players that Norwegian fans don't like? Danish/Norwegian players. It's interesting to hear.

I think some of Norway's elite players peaked at the WC 2011-12 and didn't really deliver at the last WC. It will be interesting to see if they are continuing on a downward trend or if their younger players are ready to take a stop up.
So much in Norway depends on a few elite players, but then again such is it for all the smaller hockey nations.
Tollefsen plays dirty in the way that he makes slashing, pushes, punches when the referee doesn't look in his direction. He is there to piss players of the other team off and getting away with it. He actually is very very good at it. Last WC was the first time he was really caught and punished for it, but he was been doing it for years and years.
But whether he plays with more dangerous tackles than other players I am not so sure......

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
I think some of Norway's elite players peaked at the WC 2011-12 and didn't really deliver at the last WC. It will be interesting to see if they are continuing on a downward trend or if their younger players are ready to take a stop up.
So much in Norway depends on a few elite players, but then again such is it for all the smaller hockey nations.
Tollefsen plays dirty in the way that he makes slashing, pushes, punches when the referee doesn't look in his direction. He is there to piss players of the other team off and getting away with it. He actually is very very good at it. Last WC was the first time he was really caught and punished for it, but he was been doing it for years and years.
But whether he plays with more dangerous tackles than other players I am not so sure......

I agree on that some of the elite players didn’t play up to their best last WC. Although I think we won the games “we came to win”, I mean we started WC with the goal of beating Belarus, Denmark and Sloveina and we did just that. But the game against Denmark and Slovenia where very tight and specially the game against Denmark could have gone either way.

Like I stated here earlier in this thread, Norway tries to play good defense in the natural zone. But that did NOT happen against the bigger Nations, lost 7-1 against Canada , 5-1 against Sweden and 7-0 against Czech Republic. These are not pretty numbers, the big nations smashed us pretty good! We usually take a beating against the big nations but I have seen our elite players play better against them in past WC tournaments.

After the Olympics and WC next year there’s going to be some changes on our National team, old players stepping down. Per Ã…ge Skrøder and Mats Trygg are two of those players I in my opinion. And there will be more players as well. These players have carried the Norwegian National team for a very long time now.

When it comes to young players taking over I am not so worried about the Forward side, both Centers and Wings. But it’s on the defense we have our big problem, there is simply no other D-men which can take the step up and be a good resource on our National team. (I see some hope in our u-16 generation but that’s far far away right now). And as for goaltending, well….. I don’t think Haugen had a good WC last year. And I am not convinced with what I have seen form Volden so far. I really hope Steffen Søberg can get a chance, but he needs to go to another league first (currently playing in Norway) he is still very young, so anything can happen.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I agree on that some of the elite players didn’t play up to their best last WC. Although I think we won the games “we came to win”, I mean we started WC with the goal of beating Belarus, Denmark and Sloveina and we did just that. But the game against Denmark and Slovenia where very tight and specially the game against Denmark could have gone either way.

Like I stated here earlier in this thread, Norway tries to play good defense in the natural zone. But that did NOT happen against the bigger Nations, lost 7-1 against Canada , 5-1 against Sweden and 7-0 against Czech Republic. These are not pretty numbers, the big nations smashed us pretty good! We usually take a beating against the big nations but I have seen our elite players play better against them in past WC tournaments.

After the Olympics and WC next year there’s going to be some changes on our National team, old players stepping down. Per Ã…ge Skrøder and Mats Trygg are two of those players I in my opinion. And there will be more players as well. These players have carried the Norwegian National team for a very long time now.

When it comes to young players taking over I am not so worried about the Forward side, both Centers and Wings. But it’s on the defense we have our big problem, there is simply no other D-men which can take the step up and be a good resource on our National team. (I see some hope in our u-16 generation but that’s far far away right now). And as for goaltending, well….. I don’t think Haugen had a good WC last year. And I am not convinced with what I have seen form Volden so far. I really hope Steffen Søberg can get a chance, but he needs to go to another league first (currently playing in Norway) he is still very young, so anything can happen.

Last WC Norway won the matches they needed, but it was based more on fight than good play compared to the WC's in 2011 and 2012.
Norway received 3 blowouts, whereas Denmark got none.
You are right that Skrøder and Trygg seems over-the-hill and that especially leaves the defense with only Holøs and Tollefsen as great and Bonsaksen as good d-men. The jump to the next is pretty big and the up-and-coming players like Nørstebo still young. That still leaves Norway with big problems for a 3'rd d-pairing and that Holøs and Tollefsen will have to play 30 min each game.

Agreed that forward wise Norway has much better depth, and also with more prospects coming.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I agree on that some of the elite players didn’t play up to their best last WC. Although I think we won the games “we came to winâ€, I mean we started WC with the goal of beating Belarus, Denmark and Sloveina and we did just that. But the game against Denmark and Slovenia where very tight and specially the game against Denmark could have gone either way.

After the Olympics and WC next year there’s going to be some changes on our National team, old players stepping down. Per Åge Skrøder and Mats Trygg are two of those players I in my opinion. And there will be more players as well. These players have carried the Norwegian National team for a very long time now.

Do you see a chance for a change in coaching?
Roy Johansen has been absolutely amazing to be honest. Denmark has had a string of great coaches who have (with one exemption) continued the work from the previous coaches but you guys have had the same guy since 2001. There are ofcourse huge advantages to that(We have the same situation in football with Morten Olsen), but sometimes when a team needs to go through a big change, sometimes there needs some new blood on the bench as well.

Does Skrøder or Trygg have any coaching plans since you have good expiriences with former players ending up as coaches?

We were severely lacking in depth at D every single year with last year maybe being the only one where we could say that we had good depth so I think you will survive too. Jesper Duus played almost every minute until he 70:naughty:......Hell, he would have played in 2012 before he said no.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Do you see a chance for a change in coaching?
Roy Johansen has been absolutely amazing to be honest. Denmark has had a string of great coaches who have (with one exemption) continued the work from the previous coaches but you guys have had the same guy since 2001. There are ofcourse huge advantages to that(We have the same situation in football with Morten Olsen), but sometimes when a team needs to go through a big change, sometimes there needs some new blood on the bench as well.

Does Skrøder or Trygg have any coaching plans since you have good expiriences with former players ending up as coaches?

We were severely lacking in depth at D every single year with last year maybe being the only one where we could say that we had good depth so I think you will survive too. Jesper Duus played almost every minute until he 70:naughty:......Hell, he would have played in 2012 before he said no.

Roy will be the coach in the Olympics and WC. After the WC I am not sure, I think he has a contract that expires in end of 2014.

Yes, he has done a good job with the National team. The players believe in him and the system he use. I would like to see him be our coach for 10 more years, but I think the end is near for him now. I know he had his thoughts before he signed his extension, so I can’t see him signing another one. But I hope I’m wrong.

I don’t think Skrøder or Trygg has any coaching plans, but I see two or three possible coaches taking over when Roy steps down. One of them is Petter Thoresen (Patricks father). He has coached our U-20 team and taken them up to the elite U-20 WC one time before, and have won a couple of trophy’s in the Norwegian league.

Espen Knutsen (Currently coach for Norwegian team Vålerenga) is also a candidate, but I think he needs some more experience before he takes over. Dan Tangnes is also a candidate for this job, he has experience from being head coach for Røgle in Allsvenskan and SHL.

If the new Danish coach does a good job in the next WC’s (and a good chance for that happening) he can stay with the Danish team for a long time, I can only assume that the Danish Hockey association would like to have a coach staying for a long time.

Yep, with the lack of good D-men things can be very difficult. And I think the number one priority for our national team the next WC now will be to survive in the elite WC (not aim for quarterfinal like the Norwegian media is talking about every year). I hope for the best.

Is Duus still playing? I remember him from Denmark’s first elite WC in 2003 ;) (And he played in 2004 as well?). He have played a lot of World championships games for Denmark along with Jesper DamgÃ¥rd hasn’t he?

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Roy will be the coach in the Olympics and WC. After the WC I am not sure, I think he has a contract that expires in end of 2014.

Yes, he has donem a good job with the National team. The players believe in him and the system he use. I would like to see him be our coach for 10 more years, but I think the end is near for him now. I know he had his thoughts before he signed his extension, so I can’t see him signing another one. But I hope I’m wrong.

I don’t think Skrøder or Trygg has any coaching plans, but I see two or three possible coaches taking over when Roy steps down. One of them is Petter Thoresen (Patricks father). He has coached our U-20 team and taken them up to the elite U-20 WC one time before, and have won a couple of trophy’s in the Norwegian league.

Espen Knutsen (Currently coach for Norwegian team Vålerenga) is also a candidate, but I think he needs some more experience before he takes over. Dan Tangnes is also a candidate for this job, he has experience from being head coach for Røgle in Allsvenskan and SHL.

If the new Danish coach does a good job in the next WC’s (and a good chance for that happening) he can stay with the Danish team for a long time, I can only assume that the Danish Hockey association would like to have a coach staying for a long time.

Yep, with the lack of good D-men things can be very difficult. And I think the number one priority for our national team the next WC now will be to survive in the elite WC (not aim for quarterfinal like the Norwegian media is talking about every year). I hope for the best.

Is Duus still playing? I remember him from Denmark’s first elite WC in 2003 ;) (And he played in 2004 as well?). He have played a lot of World championships games for Denmark along with Jesper DamgÃ¥rd hasn’t he?

We have had great success with having a manager for shorter tints (compared to roy).

Duus retired at the age if 44 late last year. There were talk about a comeback only a few months later but i don't follow the danish league so im not sure if he played again. I remember him playing 40+ minutes per game for the danish national team several times. While being in his late thirties-early forties . So while he played a lot with damgaard, he played a lot with every body ..he retired from the national squad after 2004 but then made s comeback in 2010. Was invited in 2012 but ended up declining because he didn't have the time for another big tournament. A legend and so vital in our rise from division b.
Which still to this day is the biggest thing to ever happen to danish hockey.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
We have had great success with having a manager for shorter tints (compared to roy).

Duus retired at the age if 44 late last year. There were talk about a comeback only a few months later but i don't follow the danish league so im not sure if he played again. I remember him playing 40+ minutes per game for the danish national team several times. While being in his late thirties-early forties . So while he played a lot with damgaard, he played a lot with every body ..he retired from the national squad after 2004 but then made s comeback in 2010. Was invited in 2012 but ended up declining because he didn't have the time for another big tournament. A legend and so vital in our rise from division b.
Which still to this day is the biggest thing to ever happen to danish hockey.

Yes, I remember Denmark had a Swedish coach when they played their first elite WC, he was there for a short time only wasn't he? (I don’t remember his name), and Beckman was hired right after. And you guys have reached the quarterfinals, so that’s a good achievement.

Is Damgård still playing? And what about Kim Staal? I remember that they were the guys that took Denmark to the elite level.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Yes, I remember Denmark had a Swedish coach when they played their first elite WC, he was there for a short time only wasn't he? (I don’t remember his name), and Beckman was hired right after. And you guys have reached the quarterfinals, so that’s a good achievement.

Is Damgård still playing? And what about Kim Staal? I remember that they were the guys that took Denmark to the elite level.

Staalmanden is still going very strong. It was either him or morten green who were our scoring leader despite playing third line and not getting a lot of icetime. He is just a born goal scorer. Damgaard is retired.

We had brithen to 2001, lundstrom to 2006, sirant to 2008 and then backman until janne took over. Brithen and backman were the longest, both serving in the neighbourhood of 5 years

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen

There were rumblings about Duus returning very recently for Rødovre where he is sort of a GM for the amateur department. He played a game or two on Rødovre's second team and practiced with the first team squad. In the end, he decided against it, probably due to knee problems. Any comeback would only have been as a temporary injury replacement.

Damgaard's retirement was forced upon him as a result of suffering from multiple concussions throughout his career. The NT still haven't found a suitable replacement to lead the dressing room pre-game cheer of 'Come on boys!' in a distinct Jutlandic/Swedish accent. :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Staalmanden is still going very strong. It was either him or morten green who were our scoring leader despite playing third line and not getting a lot of icetime. He is just a born goal scorer. Damgaard is retired.

yeah last WC it was the veterans that did the producing!

Kim Staal made a real comeback to the NT with 1G 4A, even though he played 4'th line mostly as far as I remember. I think that Kim Staal was close to make it to the NHL, but injury spoiled it and when he went over to play in the AHL, it was probably a few years to late in his career.
Morten Green had 3G 1A and also made a comback for a less good WC the former year (even if he also did some scoring there).

That Jesper Damgaard & Jesper Duss retired was age calling, but if they still were more healthy I'm certain they would play on the NT even today. These two were the backbone of the Danish defense for ages.
Jesper Duus was so good in SHL, that a Swedish coach (can't remember who) said that if he had been Swedish and not Danish, he could have played for them for WC's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad