Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I’m terrified what Guerin cooks up if he does trade Rossi and Yurov doesn’t come

Pretty simple for at least the next 2 years (replace MarJo with a UFA after next season):
Boldy/JEE/Kap
Ohgren/Hartman/Zucc
Foligno/Marat K/MarJo
AHL prospect/Freddy G/yearly face puncher trade
scrub

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Pretty simple for at least the next 2 years (replace MarJo with a UFA after next season):
Boldy/JEE/Kap
Ohgren/Hartman/Zucc
Foligno/Marat K/MarJo
AHL prospect/Freddy G/yearly face puncher trade
scrub
That should get us a couple lottery picks for sure and Kap will be running for the doors. I’m not opposed to any of it I guess. That second line is somehow worse than what we trotted out this year.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I’m not crazy about the idea of bringing him over this year. I would just let him truly dominate the KHL first. he’s only 20.

I'd be afraid if you don't bring him over now - it may turn into 2 or 3 or 4 or more years before the opportunity to bring him over comes about again. The best player on Locomotiv that just lost in the Finals is Artur Kayumoc who is a Hawks draft pick that is now 26 and there's no indication he will ever come over.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I'd be afraid if you don't bring him over now - it may turn into 2 or 3 or 4 or more years before the opportunity to bring him over comes about again. The best player on Locomotiv that just lost in the Finals is Artur Kayumoc who is a Hawks draft pick that is now 26 and there's no indication he will ever come over.

His next khl contract is suppose to be only 1 year.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
And maybe the one after that is 3 or 5, we don’t exactly treat Russians or their country with the greatest respect now days

He will demand a trade, kap will leave, they will trade boldy for spare parts, you will love it.

• Haha
Reactions: MuckOG

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Production dropped dramatically in the postseason and he had exactly 0 points in the finals. Consider me more than fine with letting him cook in the KHL for one more season.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
While it no harm to keep him the NHL, I believe he's just as ready as Ohgren/Khusnutdinov a middle six role with the Wild.

Yes he still has some stuff to prove in the KHL, but his development trajectory is impressive enough to keep the trajectory going centering a line with Ohgren or Hartman with #2 PP time, which would be good for him as well.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
While it no harm to keep him the NHL, I believe he's just as ready as Ohgren/Khusnutdinov a middle six role with the Wild.

Yes he still has some stuff to prove in the KHL, but his development trajectory is impressive enough to keep the trajectory going centering a line with Ohgren or Hartman with #2 PP time, which would be good for him as well.
The kid is a stud , you put him in a position to succeed. Starting him in some kind of idiotic checking role is so perfectly Minnesota I could choke on it

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
So who do you put him with if you don't break up the top line?
I already elaborated on what I’d do.

Kap Yurov Tank
X. Ek. Boldy
Ohgren Khus Hartman

Use Rossi to fill the X if need be. I’m sick of watching fringe nhlers play in our top six.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I understand having that worry but when you look at the facts it is misplaced worry. What is the last highly touted Russian prospect that took longer than 3 seasons to come over to NA after being drafted? Kaprizov is the only one I can think of in recent history and he wasn’t highly touted until his amazing D+2 season. You do see long-shot prospects like Kayumov take forever but that is often due to their correct assumption that they aren’t close to NHL ready and therefore it’s a decision between staying on their current development course before coming over or choosing multiple seasons of AHL. Guys like Panarin and Kuzmenko weren’t drafted and weren’t considered legit NHL prospects until years into their development.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I understand having that worry but when you look at the facts it is misplaced worry. What is the last highly touted Russian prospect that took longer than 3 seasons to come over to NA after being drafted? Kaprizov is the only one I can think of in recent history and he wasn’t highly touted until his amazing D+2 season. You do see long-shot prospects like Kayumov take forever but that is often due to their correct assumption that they aren’t close to NHL ready and therefore it’s a decision between staying on their current development course before coming over or choosing multiple seasons of AHL. Guys like Panarin and Kuzmenko weren’t drafted and weren’t considered legit NHL prospects until years into their development.

I don't disagree with you regarding long-shot prospects but where does long-shot begin? Kayumov was a mid second round pick in 2016 much the same as Kantserov is in 2023.

I'll just say this - if I were a Wild fan I would hope they get him over here sooner than later even if it means he plays in Iowa for a year or two.

Reactions: 57special

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
The kid is a stud , you put him in a position to succeed. Starting him in some kind of idiotic checking role is so perfectly Minnesota I could choke on it

My constant position is that the Wild had followed the model of 2 skill lines-1 checking line-1 character line for far too long. And as such, most of us has fans have kept that thinking ie. because he's on the 3rd line, its a checking role.

I'm pushing for a change in mindset. 3 skilled lines, 1 checking line.

And if we assume we keep the 1st line intact, Rossi cementing the 2nd with times with Zuccarello + UFA, then that opens up a new skilled 3rd line with Ohgren-Yurov-Hartman. That is also a difference - I don't Ohgren/Hartman as just checkers. I see Ohgren as a shooter and a goal scoring and I see Hartman, while plays a checking style, still scores 15-20 goals on a bad day. Also a reason I didn't put Foligno's name up there - have less faith in his offensive abilities.

Now imagine having a 3rd line that is as skilled as your 2nd, but also instead of playing against the top d-pairing, they play against the 3rd pair and alot of times, smaller dmen. You got three 6'0" 190lb players who can all overpower small dmen and all have skill.

I think that could be a perfect place for Yurov. Plays with two wingers that can score and can play against weaker match ups - and all with similar builds.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I don't disagree with you regarding long-shot prospects but where does long-shot begin? Kayumov was a mid second round pick in 2016 much the same as Kantserov is in 2023.

I'll just say this - if I were a Wild fan I would hope they get him over here sooner than later even if it means he plays in Iowa for a year or two.
At the end of the day this is about Yurov who was a 1st rounder. I honestly can’t think of even one instance of a Russian first rounder that didn’t come over when the team that drafted them wanted them to sign a contract.

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
My constant position is that the Wild had followed the model of 2 skill lines-1 checking line-1 character line for far too long. And as such, most of us has fans have kept that thinking ie. because he's on the 3rd line, its a checking role.

I'm pushing for a change in mindset. 3 skilled lines, 1 checking line.

And if we assume we keep the 1st line intact, Rossi cementing the 2nd with times with Zuccarello + UFA, then that opens up a new skilled 3rd line with Ohgren-Yurov-Hartman. That is also a difference - I don't Ohgren/Hartman as just checkers. I see Ohgren as a shooter and a goal scoring and I see Hartman, while plays a checking style, still scores 15-20 goals on a bad day. Also a reason I didn't put Foligno's name up there - have less faith in his offensive abilities.

Now imagine having a 3rd line that is as skilled as your 2nd, but also instead of playing against the top d-pairing, they play against the 3rd pair and alot of times, smaller dmen. You got three 6'0" 190lb players who can all overpower small dmen and all have skill.

I think that could be a perfect place for Yurov. Plays with two wingers that can score and can play against weaker match ups - and all with similar builds.
Thanks for the detailed response and the entirety of it makes good sense. We do tend to fall into some binary level of thinking with line assignments. I also like what I saw from ohgren and I’m a huge Hartman fan also.

I do think that if you dangle the opportunity to center Kap in front of the kid how could he say no though. It would not hurt to have an Ohgren Ek Hartman line. That would be an absolute nightmare matchup for other teams

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Thanks for the detailed response and the entirety of it makes good sense. We do tend to fall into some binary level of thinking with line assignments. I also like what I saw from ohgren and I’m a huge Hartman fan also.

I do think that if you dangle the opportunity to center Kap in front of the kid how could he say no though. It would not hurt to have an Ohgren Ek Hartman line. That would be an absolute nightmare matchup for other teams
I think eventually, that would also be nice because a Ohgren-JEE-Hartman line is also very dangerous. But the fact we can move around JEE, Rossi, Yurov in all spots and still have good skill, thats a luxury I really hope we get - and its soooo close!

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t see any parallels to the situation with Kaprizov that lead to him not coming over for a long time. Kid went to the draft, and has come to development camp every summer. What’s more, he’s in constant communication with the team.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I don’t see any parallels to the situation with Kaprizov that lead to him not coming over for a long time. Kid went to the draft, and has come to development camp every summer. What’s more, he’s in constant communication with the team.

You guys are probably right and I'm making too much out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad