Prospect Info: Daniil Sobolev, RHD, Windsor Spitfires (OHL) - 5th round 142th pick overall

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's interesting on his comment about coming over to get to play offensively.. let's see if the scouts saw some offensive tools and we can nurture it over here.

I don't know much about him but when you are described as a shut down D man, I'm not gonna get excited about it as most successful shutdown guys were originally drafted with skill.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

Really not much to go on here.

Not much in terms of skills for sure. There's even a comical moment of him throwing the puck towards his goalie in this video while under pressure.
He's also pretty undersized for a shutdown D and I didn't see any physicality in the first 15 minutes of the vid. Can't see any role he'd fill at the pro level for now.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Not much in terms of skills for sure. There's even a comical moment of him throwing the puck towards his goalie in this video while under pressure.
He's also pretty undersized for a shutdown D and I didn't see any physicality in the first 15 minutes of the vid. Can't see any role he'd fill at the pro level for now.
It's from 2 seasons ago by now and he didn't play at all last year, it's hard to even know if it's representative of where he is ATM .

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Hes the prospect im the most interested in, he didnt play in Windsor because of the COVID but I think he could had raise his stock if he had play

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm pretty excited by this pick - I'm really hoping one of the Russian D's pans out - obviously it would be great if both became players

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Spitfires' camp started. Sobolev is listed in the roster. Though they wrote his name Sobolov, and have him listed as a forward:

E-JSvXaXoAccZqf

Also yesterday, they released the three squads for scrimmages, but Sobolev isn't listed on any of them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
just saw where Sobolev is not at camp for the Spits, he's coming over next week and going directly to the Habs rookie camp.

Thanks for the info.

I found it odd because Sobolev is listed as part of the Spits' training camp roster, albeit listed as a forward and as Sobolov. But he was not listed as part of any of the teams' for the scrimmages.

Part of me was dreading that he got hurt and wasn't able to play. Good to know that isn't the case and the first views of him we'll get is at the Rookie Camp.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sobolev also played his first preaseason game for Windsor tonight. A 5-4 loss.

He finished with 0 pts / 1 SOG / 2 PIM

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
The Spitfires' camp started. Sobolev is listed in the roster. Though they wrote his name Sobolov, and have him listed as a forward:

E-JSvXaXoAccZqf

Also yesterday, they released the three squads for scrimmages, but Sobolev isn't listed on any of them.

Nice info as usual, it's always a bit funny how in north-america they always have a hard time writing russian players names, it'd sound like "soboliof" like say romanov really sounds like "romanief" kind of, it's little details and i don't think it's that important but, just saying why they probably wrote it wrong because it's pronounced different than what you'd expect by looking at the way it's written... I seem to remember you can read "russian"/"slavic" alphabet anyways

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nice info as usual, it's always a bit funny how in north-america they always have a hard time writing russian players names, it'd sound like "soboliof" like say romanov really sounds like "romanief" kind of, it's little details and i don't think it's that important but, just saying why they probably wrote it wrong because it's pronounced different than what you'd expect by looking at the way it's written... I seem to remember you can read "russian"/"slavic" alphabet anyways
It's just a mistype IMO cuz if they really tried to type it like it's pronounced they f***ed up even harder. :laugh:

It's not Soboliof btw it's Sobalef.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
just saw where Sobolev is not at camp for the Spits, he's coming over next week and going directly to the Habs rookie camp.
What is his deadline to sighn with the Habs?

Is it based on being Russian (no deadline)?

Based on CHL (bcuz he had come to NA just did not play in 20-21), in which case June 1 2023?

Or "all other" - not CHL, not NCAA and not Russia anymore - meaning June 1 2025 ?

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What is his deadline to sighn with the Habs?

Is it based on being Russian (no deadline)?

Based on CHL (bcuz he had come to NA just did not play in 20-21), in which case June 1 2023?

Or "all other" - not CHL, not NCAA and not Russia anymore - meaning June 1 2025 ?
since he was supposed to play in the OHL before he was drafted but the season was canceled, I don't know how they are counting that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad