Prospect Info: Daniil Sobolev, RHD, Windsor Spitfires (OHL) - 5th round 142th pick overall

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Are there any incentives to sign him ? Granted, I haven't seen him play, I remember from his draft year he was supposed to be pretty physical, loved to hit, and was mainly focused on his defensive coverage. Looking at his stats only, he regressed from last season, seems to have been missed games...

So yeah, let's say he's due for a contract, is he worth the try ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Are there any incentives to sign him ? Granted, I haven't seen him play, I remember from his draft year he was supposed to be pretty physical, loved to hit, and was mainly focused on his defensive coverage. Looking at his stats only, he regressed from last season, seems to have been missed games...

they likely don't have room to take a chance on him, unless of course they feel they can move some contracts out this off-season (I wouldn't count on it unless we are talking buyouts)

They could give him an AHL contract though, but he has shown almost zero offense at the junior level, just don't think they will be interested.

John B

Nov 19, 2016

I have seen a few Spitfire games this year. He hasn't been really noticeable. Usually I have to make an effort to look for him. He doesn't seem overly physical, but I have seen a few hits from him. Nothing devastating though. I've seen him caught out of position a few times with defensive coverage, and I've seen him join the rush at least once a game. Usually this led to him being out of position when the other team transitioned the play. Overall I think the Habs have better prospects with more upside to sign before they sign Sobolev.

Reactions: Babyhockey

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Sobolev played his last game for Windsor last night as they got eliminated from the OHL playoffs
Pretty disappointing to see Windsor swept in 4 after losing game 7 of the J Ross Robertson Cup last year.

Overall his stats don't look like he made much progression in his final year of OHL. Anyone get to see him play - perhaps his stats aren't telling the whole story.

Anyways at 20 and a former 5th round pick is he done? Will he get a call to come to Laval or Trois Rivieres to finish the season so our scouts can have one final look? Doesn't hurt to have some playoff depth around in case of injuries

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Sobolev played his last game for Windsor last night as they got eliminated from the OHL playoffs
Pretty disappointing to see Windsor swept in 4 after losing game 7 of the J Ross Robertson Cup last year.

Overall his stats don't look like he made much progression in his final year of OHL. Anyone get to see him play - perhaps his stats aren't telling the whole story.

Anyways at 20 and a former 5th round pick is he done? Will he get a call to come to Laval or Trois Rivieres to finish the season so our scouts can have one final look? Doesn't hurt to have some playoff depth around in case of injuries

He's a right shot D, who plays a really physical game. Not fun to play against. I would give him an ATO for now. He was drafted out of Europe because of that we retain his rights for another 2 years (2025).

There's zero risk in giving him an AHLC for next year, and playing him in TR, or seeing if he can make Laval. It's not like we're exactly swimming in RD prospects.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Habs had any intention of signing him, he'd already be signed to an AHL ATO to join Laval. The fact they haven't done that is because they have no intention of signing him before his rights expire on June 1st.

Only way I see them sign him is to an AHL deal in the summer when he's a free agent. Like they did with Stapley. Let his rights expire and then sign him to an AHL deal.

Unless of course, Sobolev re-enters the draft and someone else selects him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Habs had any intention of signing him, he'd already be signed to an AHL ATO to join Laval. The fact they haven't done that is because they have no intention of signing him before his rights expire on June 1st.

Only way I see them sign him is to an AHL deal in the summer when he's a free agent. Like they did with Stapley. Let his rights expire and then sign him to an AHL deal.

Unless of course, Sobolev re-enters the draft and someone else selects him.
He does re-enter the draft. Stapley was older and not eligible.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They still have his rights. But we all know he's not truly part of the organization as he doesn't participate in any team activities anymore.
He seems to be playing playing pretty well in Brantford. Weird how he was never included in any prospect camps.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He seems to be playing playing pretty well in Brantford. Weird how he was never included in any prospect camps.

He was at the 2021 dev and main camp.

Not particularly big and no real offence to speak of, I think he would struggle to make the Lions right now so I don't see him getting much more than an ECHL contract next year.

I think it's a lot more likely he bolts back to Russia this summer.

Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I send you 20$ by interact if he play one game in Montreal someday. Haha

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I send you 20$ by interact if he play one game in Montreal someday. Haha
He'll play professionally, somewhere. Sobolev has adequate mobility, has a good shot, is very strong on his skates and, at times, can be very aggressive.. But with Montreal's depth on the blue line, its not likely he has a future in Montreal. If Brantford has a strong playoff run, things could change.

Reactions: montreal and Tyson

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He'll play professionally, somewhere. Sobolev has adequate mobility, has a good shot, is very strong on his skates and, at times, can be very aggressive.. But with Montreal's depth on the blue line, its not likely he has a future in Montreal. If Brantford has a strong playoff run, things could change.

A good shot is not much use if he doesn't use it effectively. Never scored more than 4 goals in a year from Russia U16 to today and never generated more than 0.33 ppg except that 9 game stint in Russia U18 (1 g, 5 a in 9 games).

His physicality advantage will also drop once he goes pro and faces adults instead of 16-21 years old.

I'm sure he'll still pay pro somewhere, but would be surprised if it's in NA.

Reactions: montreal

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Considering he has played his junior hockey here and not bolted back to Russia, he may just accept an AHL deal to remain in NA. With all the prospects on defense being weak defenders, would not mind them adding a couple of defense first guys to pair with them in Laval. If not him, they need to look at signing NCAA or CHL free agents to Laval to fill that role

Reactions: jrom

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Considering he has played his junior hockey here and not bolted back to Russia, he may just accept an AHL deal to remain in NA. With all the prospects on defense being weak defenders, would not mind them adding a couple of defense first guys to pair with them in Laval. If not him, they need to look at signing NCAA or CHL free agents to Laval to fill that role

I think they'll sign a vet instead. Keeper was supposed to fill that role, but he's out 3 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad