Injury Report: Daniel Jones out for season with torn ACL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
hmm.. Kyler Murray blew his ACL out on Dec 12/22. About 5 weeks later and he's still hasn't played a game this season. Different style of QBs, but Jones can run. If that same timeline is used for Jones, talking around week 5 before he can play, so sometime in early October.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Only way Jones plays another snap for the Giants is if they somehow wins 5-6 games and are just too far down the board to get one of the elite QBs but the Bears I have to assume are gonna trade down one of their 2 picks, cannot see any reason they hold on to 1-2 or 2-3

• Haha
Reactions: Elvis P

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only way Jones plays another snap for the Giants is if they somehow wins 5-6 games and are just too far down the board to get one of the elite QBs but the Bears I have to assume are gonna trade down one of their 2 picks, cannot see any reason they hold on to 1-2 or 2-3
But, I would bet that Williams/Maye are the top 2 guys off the board. And Chicago is going to take a QB. You don't have to trade to #3 to get Penix. The 2 ACL tears to his right knee will scare off some teams. But, after Penix, the QBs drop a bit. Between Ewers, Travis, McCarthy, etc. I don't hear buzz that anyone else after Penix is pushing the top 10 in the draft.

Giants season for 2024 already in the tank with their $47 mill cap hit QB out for pre-season and September. And would have $22 mill of dead cap in 2025. Only taking $15 mill of cap charges on his this season, which seems insane that it's so low, but there was a $8.4 mill restructure on his base salary to free up cap room. So, eating like $9 million plus of the balance of what Williams was owed is a big deal as they could have pushed that cap savings into 2024 season, but now, won't have it, but get a better draft pick because of it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
But, I would bet that Williams/Maye are the top 2 guys off the board. And Chicago is going to take a QB. You don't have to trade to #3 to get Penix. The 2 ACL tears to his right knee will scare off some teams. But, after Penix, the QBs drop a bit. Between Ewers, Travis, McCarthy, etc. I don't hear buzz that anyone else after Penix is pushing the top 10 in the draft.

Giants season for 2024 already in the tank with their $47 mill cap hit QB out for pre-season and September. And would have $22 mill of dead cap in 2025. Only taking $15 mill of cap charges on his this season, which seems insane that it's so low, but there was a $8.4 mill restructure on his base salary to free up cap room. So, eating like $9 million plus of the balance of what Williams was owed is a big deal as they could have pushed that cap savings into 2024 season, but now, won't have it, but get a better draft pick because of it.

Shedeur Sanders is looking like a top 10, maybe even top 5 pick. Slide him up in front of Penix. But the rest I totally agree with.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He’s not leaving yet

I hadn't seen anything official (don't think there will be until after the season), but him staying makes more sense than it does for any other QB. If he is projected as a top 5 pick though like I've seen in several mocks, that'd be a tough thing to turn down.

McCarthy is the only other QB I can realistically see deferring.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hadn't seen anything official (don't think there will be until after the season), but him staying makes more sense than it does for any other QB. If he is projected as a top 5 pick though like I've seen in several mocks, that'd be a tough thing to turn down.

McCarthy is the only other QB I can realistically see deferring.
Even a 1st round QB needs to show well by the mid point of year 2.

Concerns with Fields, last year, you could have made the case Chicago take a QB in the 2023 draft.

The price of a first round QB in terms of cap hit is small. Only the top 10 guys it's high, but everyone from that point onwards is averaging $5 mill per season. So, if you don't show well, you will get replaced. So, you really want to be ready for the NFL when you arrive. Don't have the time to learn on the fly in the NFL. Need to hit the ground running these days as GM/HC combo only get maybe 3 years max.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
2025 looks like their best chance of getting out of his contract.

Or the first realistic shot they have.
His Base salary for 2024 is guaranteed. But, he's going to be out til October most likely and no off-season program, camp, pre-season, to improve. You could cut him, if you are bad enough to be at 1/2 OA in the draft and take a QB. Just eat the contract for Jones and move on. But, it's a big dead cap to eat.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Giants fans must hate Ed Donatell. That man single handedly got Jones paid.
Giants only have themselves to blame. $82 mill for Jones plus $11 mill for Barkley for a total of 3 seasons in guaranteed money, $93 mill. Tagging Jones at $32 mill then giving Barkley the Taylor contract at $26 mill in guaranteed money over 2 years basically is still 3 years of service but for only $58 mill guaranteed.

$35 mill In Savings. Haggling over like 3/4 mill with Barkley only to hand Jones $50 mill more in guaranteed money? Really?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad