OT: Daniel Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
disclaimer: this is not meant to be a friedman bashing thread--he is a young kid, with a lot to learn....

but, does anyone know what happened with him and staple? supposedly plagiarizing? anyone have any insight? could be a good learning experience...he is smart and some of the stuff he says i like, but he gets into back and forth arguments with fans and is often unprofessional....could be a good learning experience for him....

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Don't recall any incident, maybe a personal matter that Staple brought to light publicly to show Friedman how to act like a professional. I saw Staple's tweets towards Friedman, but I believe Dan took his down after Staple called him out. I love Staple Hahaha, the kid's an arrogant "journalist" who needs to be shown his place. Hopefully he learns from this and moves on.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Stape to Friedman "I heard you were a reporter. Maybe you should check for yourself, like I did."

That was in response to Friedman asking Staple for specific numbers on the contract, though I don't know how Friedman phrased the question but it must have been in an unprofessional manner.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Stape to Friedman "I heard you were a reporter. Maybe you should check for yourself, like I did."

That was in response to Friedman asking Staple for specific numbers on the contract, though I don't know how Friedman phrased the question but it must have been in an unprofessional manner.

Further to that,

"Arthur StapleVerified account

@StapeNewsday
"@DFriedmanOnNYI Still waiting for an apology from the time you plagiarized me, kid. You best leave it, and me, alone. Got it?"

RETWEETS
FAVORITES

11:24 AM - 24 Jul 2014"

Love the fierceness lmao.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/492329476559470592

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
Friedman "questioned" Poulin's total number, but it didnt sound like a question at first. More like a satement, which provokes Stape's response.

(It looks like Friedman now deleted all his tweets to Stape)

If you read some of the following tweets they support Stape. Not too many Friedman fans. Never really heard of him TBH. He keeps defending himself now. People calling him out too!

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I don't think he really knows his stuff and I can't tell you the last time I read anything of his. The only real writer IMO is Staple, that's it.

He said something like Staple got the numbers wrong or he was questioning him.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
i dont mind friedman's viewpoints that sometimes differ from mine......what bothers me is how he feels he has to defend himself to the nth degree every time someone disagrees with him or calls him out in the slightest...if you want to be a journalist, you need to have thick skin......not go on a 40 tweet spree defending your thoughts

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
This is just me but Friedman is nothing more than a fan/blogger who thinks he's an actual writer. I don't think he really knows his stuff and I can't tell you the last time I read anything of his. The only real writer IMO is Staple, that's it.

He said something like Staple got the numbers wrong or he was questioning him.

I think he was attempting to correct Staple. Staple posted Poulin's guaranteed # of 275K. Friedman responded with "Blah Blah reports that the guaranteed # is 270". Staple responded from there.

Thought it was a bit harsh at the time, but I wasn't aware of the backstory.

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
Me neither. I just heard about him via Twitter when the Isles signed Gabo and Kulemin...

But I did hear he rubs people the wrong way but the only one and I agree with Bunk I read is Stape!

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
i dont mind friedman's viewpoints that sometimes differ from mine......what bothers me is how he feels he has to defend himself to the nth degree every time someone disagrees with him or calls him out in the slightest...if you want to be a journalist, you need to have thick skin......not go on a 40 tweet spree defending your thoughts

Yup, especially a journalist on twitter. I remember reading a tweet from Katie Strang regarding Rick Nash.. something harmless, can't remember what it was, maybe talking about his point drought - the first comment I read was the most personal, ruthless, disgusting, brutal attack I think I've ever seen on Twitter or anywhere on the internet. Strang didn't even respond(although a few people did on her behalf, only to get met with more of the same attacks).

Sometimes it's best to just ignore the crazies. Responding usually just adds fuel to the fire.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I don't know much about Friedman, but I wrote Staple a few months back after an exchange on twitter. It was one of those typical Staple scenarios. He was reporting the news in his no-opinion factual way (which has always been his philosophy) and then some fans were sailing into him, basically attacking him for what Snow had done/not done. I sent him an e-mail saying, "Hey, like your work, sorry you were getting mistreated there..." Maybe four hours later, he wrote me back a very nice thoughtful email thanking me for following his writing.

Very professional, very nice.

I have a lot of respect for Staple and think he's done a bang up job.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Staple also said something during the prospects camp about how you can't really take anything away from the first day or two because they're just doing drills, and it was supposedly an indirect shot on Friedman.

I don't have any opinion on Friedman otherwise, don't follow him but occasionally I see him getting ragged on for something or other by other Isles bloggers. No idea what the plagiarism thing is about though.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
One thing I will say is that the whole beat reporter vs. columnist thing kinda irks me. https://twitter.com/DFriedmanOnNYI/status/492342259958824961

Staple's a beat reporter and seems to take the rules of that very seriously. Like whenever Isles fans pester him about why Cappy did this or that he'll sometimes pull back and say it's not his job to go beyond his standard reporting duties. But then again, the Isles don't really have a prominent columnist who could torch management when necessary.

IwayMike

Jul 31, 2007
As someone tweeted the other day, Friedman seems to like trolling the Islander fan base.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
One thing I will say is that the whole beat reporter vs. columnist thing kinda irks me. https://twitter.com/DFriedmanOnNYI/status/492342259958824961

Staple's a beat reporter and seems to take the rules of that very seriously. Like whenever Isles fans pester him about why Cappy did this or that he'll sometimes pull back and say it's not his job to go beyond his standard reporting duties. But then again, the Isles don't really have a prominent columnist who could torch management when necessary.

I think the criticism of Staple is fair but too narrow. It's definitely true that Staple, as a reporter, could write more (wholly fact-based) stories that accurately portray the strangeness and chaos that's a major part of recent NYI history. But I don't think it's his fault. He works for Newsday, which is owned by (1) a company that directly profits from Isles TV ratings and (2) a company that has at least some interest in maintaining a positive relationship with Charles Wang. Staple's life would be very difficult if he tried to write about the Isles the way, say, Jets beat reporters write about the Jets.

With that said, Staple, despite the limitations inherent in the job, always has struck me as a quality reporter and a good writer, even if he lacks the visceral connection to the fanbase someone like Alan Hahn had.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
i honestly think the most grounded, rational columnist for the isles (not counting staple because he is usually facts only) is dan petriw from hockeybuzz.....someone mocked my opinion a while back because of his twitter handle, but his points and thoughts are usually spot on, and he isnt afraid to rip into mgmt

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I like the LHH guys when they're not trying to do satire (sorry if they're reading), IPB was good with Kevin Schultz, hopefully the new guy there keeps it up.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
Not a fan of Daniel Friedman.

He needs to get off Twitter and work more on his radio voice. It's cringingly annoying like nails scratching on a chalkboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad