Confirmed with Link: Daniel Cleary (1 year, $1.5 MM + $1 MM bonus potential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Wings don't really have any players that have TRUE GRIT.

Glendening and Abdelkader have a lot of jam, not the best hands as we know, but they are not fun to play against. Glendening in particular is a guy that has earned everything he has in hockey by playing a dependable and fairly rough game with an exceptional motor.

Smith would have a lot of grit if the Ben Smith play never happened and Babs mind ******* him since wasn't going on, he still flashes it and I hope we see a ton of it if he gets Top 4 time he is confident in terms of the rough stuff.

Like the coaching coming out and saying Smith wasn't a fighter was interesting. Now would he beat Chara? I don't know of course Chara falls down after he attempts to land his first haymaker anyway and that is a trade as a hockey coach he should endorse. Heck he didn't fair bad against Neil and he has absolutely owned guys fighting before and he comes out with some confusing that isn't the kind of player. Well you know what else Mike, he is an offensive D-man maybe you should play him on the PP instead of trying to make him earn a living as something he is not. That whole quote made me really mad, he doesn't know what Smith is so maybe he shouldn't try being cute in with the media for a laugh about it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think he's effective on the 4th line. Anything above that and I'm not interested.

Pretty sure he's naturally a wing, and I think it's a better fit for him.

No interested about his Holmström-style net-front play? :amazed:

+ that PK ability + agitating ability + grit etc..

Not a one-trick pony. Usable tool (just like Cleary once was), later in the career also for higher lines.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No interested about his Holmström-style net-front play? :amazed:

+ that PK ability + agitating ability + grit etc..

Not a one-trick pony. Usable tool (just like Cleary once was), later in the career also for higher lines.

Glendening? That's who I was talking about. I haven't seen much of that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Holland talks about loyalty yet where is his allegiance to the fans who sellout every game and fill that place up. I swear if Jurco is sent down for Cleary I'm gonna lost it, you play the best 18 skaters and he isn't even close. He's almost not even AHL material, 8 points in 52 games is beyond terrible

Holland ices a winning product and the fans will join.

Hate it or leave it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's 100x easier to give those kids a chance when you're not already packing 14-15 forwards with a glut of 4th liners and if you play well enough to give yourself some kind of cushion in the standings. Our team isn't really good enough to do that if Cleary gets any significant number of games. He single handedly kills offense on any line he's on, if he gets PP time oh god help us.

I don't think Cleary is an PP option anymore.

Screeners are Franzen (1st unit) and Sheahan (2nd unit). Abdelkader as a 3rd spare part.

Forwards are Dats and Zeta (1st unit), Weiss/Nyquist/Tatar (2nd unit).

Kronwall and Alfie (will be signed) on the point (1st unit) and Smith/Kindl/Dekeyser on the point (2nd unit).

So unless both of those main screeners won't get injured, can't see Cleary there. That's the only PP job he can reasonably do.

And also when analyzing these pretty obvious roster plans, we also see there's no offensive room for Jurco. That's why it's good for his development they keep him at 1st line role at Grand Rapids. So he can have that dominant year.

Cleary has kind of 0% affect of Jurco's future. Alfredsson extension has more to do it, because Alfie is gonna take that TOP9 spot and ice-time on the power-play. Jurco was destined to be a Griffin for one more year, with or without Cleary.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glendening? That's who I was talking about. I haven't seen much of that.

He did that quite a bit at the AHL level, not that he is ever going to be an elite scorer, he also would get there more as a winger which is his natural position. But yes the guys in the NHL do a lot of dirty work scoring, but something to keep in mind is that NHL goalies give up a lot less prime rebound scoring chances per game. It is really noticeable when watching both levels. So say Glendening or Callahan do a ton of that in the AHL, well that is harder to do at this level because instead of two or three chances you get one half chance and the D-man are better at planting you which is what makes it a half chance.

That is not to say dirty goals don't happen, obviously we know they do a lot at this level. But you don't get the dig away two and three crack goals often, you better be good at finishing in tight, this is something that has plagued Abdelkader who was good at basically overpowering guys in the AHL and NCAA for two and three cracks at a time. Well you are going to get one shot and one shot only 1 out of 10 times at this level. Useful to have guys, but something I think lost, goalies do a better job kicking out or controlling rebounds, D-man do a better job physically recovering and the goalies recovery quickness becomes another huge factor. What was once there isn't they will keep developing and bang away but dig for puck goals don't happen quite as often as most think in the NHL and when they do watch how quickly the guy gets it and elevates it or converts the rebound in one fluid motion so the goalie is still out of the play. Guys that gather or need several hacks have a much tougher time getting that out of their game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh sorry, thought it was about Callahan.

That's ok, I kind of figured.

I think Callahan is pretty decent at that, I agree. Don't know if he would get PP time at the next level though?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Cleary has kind of 0% affect of Jurco's future. Alfredsson extension has more to do it, because Alfie is gonna take that TOP9 spot and ice-time on the power-play. Jurco was destined to be a Griffin for one more year, with or without Cleary.

Not even a little.

Z-D-Alfie
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening/Abby

What's the problem there? Why is Jurco destined to be in GR? He did great with that line last year. If he can't get PP time then he's not gonna play up? Even next year he may not have a PP spot.

Kronner, Z, D, Franzen, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, probably Weiss. That's 8/10 already. I assume Smith, DD, Kindl will fill in the rest. At least, they should.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's ok, I kind of figured.

I think Callahan is pretty decent at that, I agree. Don't know if he would get PP time at the next level though?

No but just like Cleary at 2006, he started as a 4th line grinder and battled his way through the higher lines and on the PP. Homer did kind of same after Scotty had 0% trust for him.

Let's see if he has that kind of mindset.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No but just like Cleary at 2006, he started as a 4th line grinder and battled his way through the higher lines and on the PP. Homer did kind of same after Scotty had 0% trust for him.

Let's see if he has that kind of mindset.

Callahan is very likely waiver fodder and I am not even sure like a lot of people around here that he doesn't clear.

Also the biggest thing Mitch will need to improve on to this point in his career is he has been a very slow starter at each level of hockey. In the NHL that often ends your career in the hurry, he will have to hit the ground running better than he did at the WHL or AHL level. Now I think we have done a marvelous job developing him and he has bought in with a ton of work ethic, but it will be tough and a lot tougher than a lot of his bigger fans think. The Wings brass still speaks about Ferraro before Callahan (who is often left out altogether) and that offers you a slight glimpse into their thinking as well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Because they want to see that domination year at lower level. Go ask from Jiri Fischer.

Hope they pay attention to his first couple months because like Nyquist I have a feeling he is going to destroy that league, especially with how lethal the D-man down there are in transitioning the puck to the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad