Confirmed with Link: Daniel Brickley

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
A lot of this has to do with where the Kings are at present v. 2012, but this is an area that Blake has a distinct advantage over Lombardi.

It has to be more of a "thing" for these college kids to meet with HHOFer and former NCAA player Rob Blake than Lawyer Lombardi.

Awesome to snag what appears to be the top college UFA, at least on the blue line.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Can anyone out there compare his upside to Clague for me?

He's certainly bigger at 6-3, 205.

“Good upside, should be a very good pro,” texted one Western Conference executive. “Will need to make adjustments to the pace of the NHL and still has some room for development but has the attributes and capacity that give him a really good chance to be a solid NHL player.”
Multiple sources projected him as a bottom pair NHL defenseman to start with the upside to grow into a No. 4 if he continues to develop. His offensive ability is developed enough to earn power play time on a first or second unit. He probably needs AHL time but it may take NHL playing time assurances to get him to sign, as is often the case with these free agents.​

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
As with any prospect, just have to wait and see. Especially with college free agent prospects. The success rate around the league can't be great. Especially with guys that were never drafted. Not that they can't be good, or even great, but it's hard enough finding guys with picks.

All power to him though. Hopefully he's a #1D.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
A lot of this has to do with where the Kings are at present v. 2012, but this is an area that Blake has a distinct advantage over Lombardi.

It has to be more of a "thing" for these college kids to meet with HHOFer and former NCAA player Rob Blake than Lawyer Lombardi.

was just thinking this. pretty cool that Blake has that kind of appeal and can use it to sway FAs. love it!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So he will be an RFA at the end of it? is that correct? If so, great; if not, it's basically a one-year ufa deal for an unknown quantity which is weird.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Kudos to Blake, we certainly seem to be able to "win" these types of free agents more often now.
Not sure if he will amount to anything but it is always nice to get a free lottery ticket.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was wondering if he could sign a two year as opposed to a three. If the first year is burned, it gives him the chance to go RFA after only one season, apparently.

Whatever it takes to get him here.

CBA outlines contract length which is based on age. 18-21 year olds have to sign three year ELCs, 22-23 sign two year ELCs, 24 sign one year ELCs, and 25 year old (North American trained) undrafted players are free to sign one way deals with no restrictions (Matt Gilroy, Matt Read being the two that pop in my head).

So Brickley had to sign a 2 year ELC, no way around that. Getting to burn the first year is part of the negotiation. Brickley will be a year closer to negotiating guaranteed money. A few years back, the Kings and Flyers were finalists for Alex Lyon and he eventually signed with Philly. Ron Hextall said something to the extent of "We would prefer to not burn the first year, but that was something we had to do to get the player."

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
So they can just agree to burn the first year without having to actually play him. Did not know that.

He is definitely an RFA though after next season, correct?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I was wondering if he could sign a two year as opposed to a three. If the first year is burned, it gives him the chance to go RFA after only one season, apparently.

Whatever it takes to get him here.

Has to be 2 year for a 22-23 year old. But burning a year really isn't a big deal, it means he'll only have 1 season to establish himself before signing the second contract. If his sophomore year is his breakout year, we may actually save a bit of money.

Also doesn't effect UFA status due to his age.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Extremely happy with the signings. Burning a year off the bat for Brickley doesn't phase me whatsoever since he was signed for free as an UFA. I'm also wondering how much an effect Lewis had on his signing since he's also from there.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He is definitely an RFA though after next season, correct?

That would appear to be the case. Danny DeKeyser got a two year bridge deal after his ELC expired. Once upon a time, Christian Folin was a sought after NCAA free agent. He got a modest two year, one way bridge deal after his initial ELC.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Extremely happy with the signings. Burning a year off the bat for Brickley doesn't phase me whatsoever since he was signed for free as an UFA. I'm also wondering how much an effect Lewis had on his signing since he's also from there.

Trevor Lewis was the unsung hero of this signing. Probably.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'm also wondering how much an effect Lewis had on his signing since he's also from there.

Maybe this photo of Lewis practicing with Brickley four years ago is a clue........

upload_2018-3-29_13-46-19.jpeg

Reactions: SlimCharles

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Full credit to Blake for bringing in another US College player. He’s been in on a bunch of them over the last year which was something we seldomly saw from Deano.

Iafallo, Petersen and Brickley is a nice haul without having to use draft capital or trading assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad