Rumor: Daniel Alfredsson and Chris Phillips in discussions to buy Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The idea of not purchasing tickets as a protest against the owner is pretty misguided. Do you not watch games on TV to reduce the ratings, to further hurt the owner? Or are you still watching and demonstrating you are a fan on TV, helping the team keep a lucrative TV deal?

Even though I have the ability to watch games on TSN/Sportsnet, I choose other ways.

assen na yo.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Kevin Francis think too, that Alfie and Chris work for an ownership. He said the duo work with two, one his a group and the another one is one person but would be off the charts

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

This article basically cites the same source as that’s in this thread but adds this to it

This is an interesting situation to follow as we've heard in the past that Melnyk would consider selling the team once the Seattle Kraken had paid their league buy-in.

Reactions: The Lewler

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well, 2 things.
1. It's not a boycott or protest so much as it is that I don't want to give my money to a disgusting person.
2. I mean, here we are talking about how he might be about to sell.

1. in case you’ve not heard, there has been a 50/50 split between the owner(s) and the players for quite a long time now, so you would not be giving your money to a discussing person, only 50%

2. the Senators are not about to be sold… the current owner “bought low” and if he ever sells, he will “sell high”…. Plus has said several times he intends to pass on to his daughter… for what that is worth.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Really? Fans not going results in the inability to attract players? What about all those years when we were good? we stall couldn't attack players. The only thing that attracks players is winning or lifestyle. We don't win and our team plays in a farmers field.

If all the boycotters thought low attendance and low merch sales would in some twisted way motivate the owner to sell…. Keep dreaming, not happening.

If anything the low attendance and merch sales confirms to potential buyers ( if franchise was actually for sale) that Ottawa fans will not put their money where their mouths are, and discourage any further interest (if any) a potential buyer may have.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
1. in case you’ve not heard, there has been a 50/50 split between the owner(s) and the players for quite a long time now, so you would not be giving your money to a discussing person, only 50%

2. the Senators are not about to be sold… the current owner “bought low” and if he ever sells, he will “sell high”…. Plus has said several times he intends to pass on to his daughter… for what that is worth.
Sooooo, 50% of my money goes to uber rich athletes with guaranteed contracts who couldn't care less whether I support them financially or not, and 50% GOES TO A DISGUSTING HUMAN.

Maybe he sells, maybe not, but there's a lot of smoke.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
If all the boycotters thought low attendance and low merch sales would in some twisted way motivate the owner to sell…. Keep dreaming, not happening.

If anything the low attendance and merch sales confirms to potential buyers ( if franchise was actually for sale) that Ottawa fans will not put their money where their mouths are, and discourage any further interest (if any) a potential buyer may have.
EVERYONE knows that this city has a rabid fanbase. Anyone with half a brain can see why attendance has dwindled. There are tons of parties that want to own NHL teams.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

I am sure potential buyers will do their due dilligence on why the current product is pulling in meager numbers.

Reactions: BloodRedArmy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
EM has done nothing for this team except make it the laughing stock of the league

He “saved” it by turning it into a laughing Stock and ruining his reputation (or at least making it widely known to the general population to evaluate) Great job

Last edited:
Reactions: topshelf15

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

If you can’t sell hockey in Ottawa you probably shouldn’t but into the NHL. If you can’t sell ice cream on the beach in California you also should buy into an ice cream stand in California

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
EVERYONE knows that this city has a rabid fanbase. Anyone with half a brain can see why attendance has dwindled. There are tons of parties that want to own NHL teams.
Even with a full building this is a tough market for an NHL team. The building needs to close to full at higher prices while maximizing the limited available corporate support. This won’t ever happen under Melnyk but I’m not sure it can be done under new ownership either.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Look at the Redblacks dwindling fan base, this city supports sports teams when they are winning & doesn't when they are losing & there are plenty of examples from the past here (RedBlacks, Linx, Sens). It's a fad town that comes out to be part of the winning team or when it's new, but quickly goes on to something else when they are losing & the shine wears off.

They are not a die hard support fan base, that's way in the past although there are a few like us. It's all about winning in today's culture with no patience for losing seasons & thanks to social media we can spent countless hours disecting every move, every play, every nuance to death or find something more interesting to do & watch quickly & easily.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's hockey. It's an increasingly out of reach and niche sport.

With all the other shit going on in the world, I know I basically don't care at all anymore, and the fan wars are just another silly sideshow. It's obviously going to be one of the first things cut from peoples budget in economic downturns, and the first thing they stop attending in an airborne virus wave.

I watch the Sens when I feel like it, I'll take my kid to games when I feel like, and Eugene just straight up sucks and this team will be sold by him soon or by his estate after he dies.

Round and round we go, wake me up when it happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: BloodRedArmy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sooooo, 50% of my money goes to uber rich athletes with guaranteed contracts who couldn't care less whether I support them financially or not, and 50% GOES TO A DISGUSTING HUMAN.

Maybe he sells, maybe not, but there's a lot of smoke.

Sooooooo, you don’t like the owner and apparently the “ Uber rich “ players as welll …. So basically you’re not a Senators fan…. Then why are you wasting your time posting in this forum?

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Yeah, at best Senators fans are fair weather fans. When they use every excuse other than being a cellar dweller team, to rationalize not going to games.

When the leafs sucked, they played to sellouts…. The Ottawa fan base is NOT rabid, anyone with the other half of the brain can see that.

Reactions: Samboni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad