Confirmed with Link: Dan Vladar signs 2 yr x $2.2M extension

Vordus

May 9, 2014
Calgary
I think its more Sutter giving Markstrom a chance to redeem himself than being stubborn. He probably wants to see how he responds and if he can build his confidence back up. I think Vladar will start to see more time this season if/when Markstrom doesn't look right.

Elimination game is not the time to give a bad goalie chance for redemption. Markstrom was bad that series. He had plenty of chances to prove himself and clearly looked like crap.

If Sutter is gonna risk the whole season over 1 individual's feelings and 2nd chance then that's a stupid move. It's a team game. He didn't hold Markstrom accountable like every player should be held. Dumb move by Sutter, whatever his reasoning was.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Elimination game is not the time to give a bad goalie chance for redemption. Markstrom was bad that series. He had plenty of chances to prove himself and clearly looked like crap.

If Sutter is gonna risk the whole season over 1 individual's feelings and 2nd chance then that's a stupid move. It's a team game. He didn't hold Markstrom accountable like every player should be held. Dumb move by Sutter, whatever his reasoning was.

I don't agree with the choice but Markstrom was also a goalie who led the league in shutouts and finished 2nd in Vezina voting. A coach is much more likely to give someone like that more rope than a relatively unproven backup. I don't think accountability is an issue under Sutter but he chose to bet on someone who had proven to be much more reliable in general at the time. The problem is Markstrom is one of the worst goalies in the league once you put him in front of Edmonton for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad