Boston Globe DAN SHAUGHNESSY - What Harry Sinden thinks of these record-setting Bruins

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
A miracle is not the same as luck.

Before this season started, if someone said the Bruins were going to have the best regular season in the history of the NHL, what would have been the reaction?

Not likely anyone would say they would have to be really lucky.

More likely they would have said that would be a miracle.

In no way did I imply they were lucky.

Right, whatever.

Anyway, Harry wasn't the GM in 2001.
So semantics is the argument for you? Nah. When a team wins that consistently, it's not divine intervention or luck. It's hard f***ing work and dedication.

Reactions: jgatie

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
So you honestly think this team compiling a winning percentage of .823 was just happenstance? Honestly? I know you and I very rarely agree about anything here, but man that is one f***ing insane hot take. I'll give you credit for saying it, but to actually believe it, I have no words. You have a shit roster and you get above .500, that could be luck. But if you literally win 82% of the freaking games you played in, luck has zero to do with it. That's flat out execution and everyone invested and rowing in the same direction. If you want to say it's not sustainable, well sure, but that's a different argument. Total miracle implies they had no business winning games they won. Having watched literally all of them, they were the better team in nearly all of their games. So again, zero luck. Far more preparation and execution.
Yea the only Miracle I ever saw was 1980 and if those teams played another 10 times the team in Red would win everytime

Reactions: LSCII and BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So semantics is the argument for you? Nah. When a team wins that consistently, it's not divine intervention or luck. It's hard f***ing work and dedication.

Miracle = a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences

The exact definition of what the Bruins season has been.

Nothing to do with luck. That's why I did not use the term. You did.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I've got your back on this topic. There's a couple seasons I wish he had gone all in but the irrational disdain is ridiculous.
No Cups sucks but that had a lot to do with the team underperforming in the playoffs and running into some all time great teams.

Sinden was one of the best GMs of all time. One of the best hockey minds of all time. I don't think it's debatable.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Reactions: b in vancouver

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Harry would put out all kinds of rumors on players that they were going try and get , Thachuk was one along with Lanny Mc Donald . Joey Mullin who he did finally get when neck was in a brace , oh there was always the Jeremy Roenick annual rumors he would put these out to his lackies in the media . The guy was a fraud ...........
I talked to Roenick about this and he went into depth about coning to Bruins and what happened - but it was eventually on him. He changed mind and explained why - he can tell it if he wants someday. I’m not sure if Harry was GM. Thought it was MOC but could be wrong

The Mullen story I heard watching Jim Plunkett at Happy Hour down the Cape with a bunch of friends including BC guys and Mullen about going to camp with Bruins. I might have been pretty trashed but I thought that came up in conversation and why I was shocked when he showed up in Blues camp (what the F was the name of that bar)

As for Tkachuk I can go there as well but not sure how to word it

Harry F’d up trading anyone who parted and was a potential bad influence on Bourque & Neely. Secord, Courtnall and Fergus are 3 traded for wrong reasons

He was cheap and screwed up the Mullen deal

Trading Shaw and signing Zombo etc was pathetic

I could go on forever on him - but he was not a fraud

He was a three man organization with Johnson (embedded Habs who cost them 1971 Cup) and Nate Greenberg in media

He had an amazing scout who passed away

Harry could have been an alltimer as a coach

Reactions: rfournier103

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Here is Cherry on Ratelle & Redmond penalties

Attachments

• 8A2054F3-03B7-4674-A546-0CE07E7DE142.png
    8A2054F3-03B7-4674-A546-0CE07E7DE142.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 4
  • CC81E7A6-7415-4AF1-AECC-B9154D17B590.png