Confirmed with Link: Dan DeKeyser Signs with Detroit 2 years 1.35m cap hit

HTT3*

Again I don't hate the young guy. He is the least of our problems, I am happy he's a Red Wing. I'll have to watch a replay of the Vancouver game to answer my own curiosity. I didn't notice him much, which for D can be a very good thing. Not at all comparing him to Lidstrom, I was trying to comment on the meaning of "greatness." As RWN mentioned in the GDT Datsyuk and Franzen also had strong games. To me Datsyuk is the defenition of greatness. Every Game. I understand the nomination for star of a game is loosely awarded to recognize a player's character and storyline, play as an individual. Good for him to get past Canadian inspections.

I do "love" Ferrence. It's the respect earned watching him hoist the cup in 2011, and Mr. McQuaid was there too. Those guys are bad-boys. They can exhibit sloppiness but they are tough and do more than the world expected. Boychuck you simply have to respect as well. As much as I hated them they get the job done. Can't say I know much about Redden or Bortowski.

Like I said in the past props to DeKeyser for his maturity and ability. He and Kindl have an edge that I like. It comes with confidence and being given the room to try things and therefore make mistakes. If DeKeyser is this competent in 7 games we can only imagine what he could do in a few seasons.

Odd you didn't see anything in his game. I posted in Canucks post-game thread and asked who on Detroits roster (in terms of young guns) stood out to them. Everyone picked DeKeyser as the clear #1 most important player. They picked Nyquist as the distant 2nd.

Canuck fans love talking hockey, and they aren't going to candy coat other teams prospects to make us "feel" good. They are going to say what they think.

That said, I think DeKeyser is our best defenseman right now. i feel more secure when he is on the ice... that says a lot.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That said, I think DeKeyser is our best defenseman right now. i feel more secure when he is on the ice... that says a lot.
I'm not going to get too excited yet. Remember how awesome Smith looked in the handful of games he played last season?

Right now, teams don't know anything about DeKeyser. There's no video on him. Let's see how does once teams find his weaknesses.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I'm not going to get too excited yet. Remember how awesome Smith looked in the handful of games he played last season?

Right now, teams don't know anything about DeKeyser. There's no video on him. Let's see how does once teams find his weaknesses.

DK isn't playing with Lidstrom though, that's the difference. He's playing well with the likes of E and Q and Smith. That seems to indicate he's legit.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
DK isn't playing with Lidstrom though, that's the difference. He's playing well with the likes of E and Q and Smith. That seems to indicate he's legit.

I've like what I've seen so far out of the guy. In most games, he seems to be the most poised D-man with the puck in his own zone, doesn't make the glaring turnovers, and has a knack of reading plays and intercepting the puck.

And with our D-corps, there's clearly nobody babysitting him either.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What did everybody think of DeKeyser getting powerplay time tonight?

Babcock loves this kid. Loves. He's being thrown into special teams and playing over 19 minutes during the most crucial points of the season.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA

Babcock loves this kid. Loves. He's being thrown into special teams and playing over 19 minutes during the most crucial points of the season.

On the PP I'm a little bit iffy. Judging by the way he's playing he's going to prove me wrong. DaDe is a blessing to this team right now, an absolute ****ing blessing.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
On the PP I'm a little bit iffy. Judging by the way he's playing he's going to prove me wrong. DaDe is a blessing to this team right now, an absolute ****ing blessing.

did anyone expect this much of an immediate impact from DD? we all liked him, but dude is already a stud... better than smith so far at least, imo. huge addition and his future with this team is bright as hell

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

I have no problem with it at all - in fact I like it. The guy has hockey IQ out of the wazoo coupled together with enough poise to not cough it up when pressured. He made some nice plays keeping it in the zone tonight. He's also not as prone to fire it off every time he gets it like Kindl which I like too.

As long as it gets Brunner off the point that's an improvement on its own. :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That was a PP with the lead late, some of the only times you will see Ericsson out there as well. Thought he looked quite good, was interesting to see them fan out and trust him as the deep man and Datsyuk and Kronwall show the kind of trust and tight passing. But I don't think it will be something we will see a lot of in the last two games and hopefully playoff. Thought he looked good, just pointing out I think that is why Babcock had him out there.

In the future I can see it, kid has a tremendous hockey IQ and the kind of passing to unlock D's on the PP.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
did anyone expect this much of an immediate impact from DD? we all liked him, but dude is already a stud... better than smith so far at least, imo. huge addition and his future with this team is bright as hell

I'll admit I didn't expect this much from him, and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'm not the biggest Kronwall fan and know he will never get moved.

But I feel good about DD, Big E, Kindl and Kronwall as the top 4 next year.

With Smith and Quincey/CC the bottom pairing. Whatever. Smith will get better.

Get here quickly XO and RS!

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
That was a PP with the lead late, some of the only times you will see Ericsson out there as well. Thought he looked quite good, was interesting to see them fan out and trust him as the deep man and Datsyuk and Kronwall show the kind of trust and tight passing. But I don't think it will be something we will see a lot of in the last two games and hopefully playoff. Thought he looked good, just pointing out I think that is why Babcock had him out there.

In the future I can see it, kid has a tremendous hockey IQ and the kind of passing to unlock D's on the PP.

Good call about it being a PP late in the game with a lead. Could be part of Babcock's strategy to have a better defensive player on the point than Brunner, since LA might press for a shorthanded goal in that situation.

Also just putting the kid in that position to see what he can do with powerplay time as well.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm amazed of how many different announcers that have mistaken DeKeyser for being Kronwall on the ice.

crashman

First, let me say that DeKeyser looks good and I think he's gonna be a great player for us going forward.

But, I thought it was silly of Babcock to thrown him on the PP (especially 5-on-3). He's the last guy you want out there on the PP in a crucial game like that. The point should always be to score a goal on the PP. I just think Babcock choose a bad time to show his confidence in the kid, because he looked out of place in that role (he fumbled the puck at the blue-line once, and made some pretty sketchy passes), that's all.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I'm amazed of how many different announcers that have mistaken DeKeyser for being Kronwall on the ice.

I've mistaken him a couple times. Similar number, jersey is tucked the same way most of the time and they both have a similar type of posture.

He has been awesome, great deadline acquisition lol. Makes some of these d-men a little more expendable for a possible trade.

Aug 6, 2012
DeKeyser, Smith, Kindl, Ouellet, Sproul, Backman, Jensen :)crossfing), Marchenko.

Very promising. Hopefully a lot of them pan out.

RedWingsNow*

First, let me say that DeKeyser looks good and I think he's gonna be a great player for us going forward.

But, I thought it was silly of Babcock to thrown him on the PP (especially 5-on-3). He's the last guy you want out there on the PP in a crucial game like that. The point should always be to score a goal on the PP. I just think Babcock choose a bad time to show his confidence in the kid, because he looked out of place in that role (he fumbled the puck at the blue-line once, and made some pretty sketchy passes), that's all.

Agreed.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Lots of promising "Top 4s", but no one with true number 1 D potential imo... must get it via trade
They project as top-4's but if even one of them exceeds expectations, they have a top-2 D.

And if you ask me, Sproul has the potential to be a top-2 D.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

3-1 with four minutes left? I think that's the one time you safe with a PP. As soon as the Wings got the 5on3 they switched DeKeyser with Brunner btw, if you missed it. To be honest I think Babs took the most responsible D-man to play alongside Kronwall for that 5on4, and DeKeyser happened to be that guy this game. Could've been Ericsson too, but DeKeyser is a little quicker skating back from the offensive blueline. After the PP Babcock created a shutdown line of Andersson, Eaves and Emmerton and also played the Kronwall and DeKeyser pairing one or two more times to finish the game off. So it wasn't isolated to that particular PP.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Lots of promising "Top 4s", but no one with true number 1 D potential imo... must get it via trade

Sproul absolutely has the potential to be a star at the NHL level. It's up to him really. He reads the ice pretty well for needing a lot of seasoning on the defensive side of things. Whether he locks down on that and adjusts or wants to live on his offensive skills, it's up to him.

crashman

3-1 with four minutes left? I think that's the one time you safe with a PP. As soon as the Wings got the 5on3 they switched DeKeyser with Brunner btw, if you missed it. To be honest I think Babs took the most responsible D-man to play alongside Kronwall for that 5on4, and DeKeyser happened to be that guy this game. Could've been Ericsson too, but DeKeyser is a little quicker skating back from the offensive blueline. After the PP Babcock created a shutdown line of Andersson, Eaves and Emmerton and also played the Kronwall and DeKeyser pairing one or two more times to finish the game off. So it wasn't isolated to that particular PP.

Yeah, I thought they might have taken DeKeyser off for the 5-on-3, but I wasn't sure. I do remember yelling at my TV because he was out there on a PP and looked he like he was going to turn the puck over at any moment.

My point was, I don't think he is the most responsible d-man. That would be Ericsson if you're trying to play it safe on the PP. I thought Babcock was trying to prove a point by playing the guy there, and a crucial game like that wasn't the time to do it. Just my opinion.

Edit: For the record, I don't think this is a team that should ever feel safe with a 2 goal lead. We've seen them blow it a few times this year. They almost blew it against the Kings last time they played, but Ericsson saved the day with a last second goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In a 3-1 game I wouls rather have a safe dman like Dekeyser who could still move the puck but be good defensively than have someone like Brunner back there and get burnt for a shorty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad