TSN Radio Daly Announced 2016-2017 Cap will Remain Flat - How Does This Impact the Leafs?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This was just announced on the radio. - the Cap is officially not going up, it will remain flat.

How does this impact the Leafs plans this summer. [not just Stamkos, but in regards to everything else]
can we really make a move to some cap-strapped teams? there are some teams that are going to feel the crunch.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This was just announced on the radio. - the Cap is officially not going up, it will remain flat.

How does this impact the Leafs plans this summer. [not just Stamkos, but in regards to everything else]
can we really make a move to some cap-strapped teams? there are some teams that are going to feel the crunch.

The NHLPA can vote in favor of using the inflator for 5%, it does effect their escrow though.

If the cap did stay flat though otherwise, some teams would have difficulty in keeping players around.

Dumping salary is going to be impossible/require money coming back/cost a LOT of assets to have another team take a cap dump.

Basically Lupul is an impossibility to move, Bozak MAYBE. Not sure what else will really occur. It does make it tighter on teams like CHI/NYR/TBL/WSH to make moves though.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The NHLPA can vote in favor of using the inflator for 5%, it does effect their escrow though.

If the cap did stay flat though otherwise, some teams would have difficulty in keeping players around.

Dumping salary is going to be impossible/require money coming back/cost a LOT of assets to have another team take a cap dump.

Basically Lupul is an impossibility to move, Bozak MAYBE. Not sure what else will really occur. It does make it tighter on teams like CHI/NYR/TBL/WSH to make moves though.

i'm reading a lot of reports that the NHLPA really don't want to use the inflator. it's getting way way too much. it really might not move at all.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
i'm reading a lot of reports that the NHLPA really don't want to use the inflator. it's getting way way too much. it really might not move at all.

I know last year there was talk of them not doing it but then there was some PA on PA violence saying "Hey I am going to UFA this year and I want to strike it big. We voted in favor of the inflator when YOU were going to UFA, how is this fair to me?"

I'm paraphrasing here but I believe it was Pierre McGuire who touched on this on Mike Richards in the morning last year.

We'll see if it happens this year though.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

Bozak would be gone in a second. 0.6ppg guy, top faceoff guy, proof now he can do it without his buddy Phil. Guy is 35th OA in C points per game since 2013. He's a top end 2nd line C. $4.2mm is a competitive salary for that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bozak would be gone in a second. 0.6ppg guy, top faceoff guy, proof now he can do it without his buddy Phil. Guy is 35th OA in C points per game since 2013. He's a top end 2nd line C. $4.2mm is a competitive salary for that.

I don't think you'll move him cleanly though, you'll have to take back SOME kind of salary back.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I don't think you'll move him cleanly though, you'll have to take back SOME kind of salary back.

If it means getting a 1st back for Bozak instead of a 2nd then fine, otherwise, we should be in no hurry to move him. It's not like there is a pressing need to offload him.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Then you don't trade him.. that simple. His contract is not in any way shape or form bad.

This news is not at all shocking. Many of us predicted it months ago. Makes me more happy we moved Phaneuf when we did.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
If I were a gm, I would not retain on bozack. He's getting paid what he's worth. Just because we don't need him anymore doesn't mean we should sell him for a discount

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If it means getting a 1st back for Bozak instead of a 2nd then fine, otherwise, we should be in no hurry to move him. It's not like there is a pressing need to offload him.

Then you don't trade him.. that simple. His contract is not in any way shape or form bad.

This news is not at all shocking. Many of us predicted it months ago. Makes me more happy we moved Phaneuf when we did.

I personally don't see a spot for him on the team but that is just me.

Basically this flat cap means it's unlikely a team is going to be able to just take on 4M + in cap without sending any money back, if it's 1-2M, it is what it is. I would NOT retain on Bozak.

The other thing too is, who's pick in the 20-28 range is available, has a need for a centre, and would trade for Bozak?

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
It means that teams against the cap or looking to aquire certain players will have a hard time doing so means that stammer could be had more easily if that's our plan also means that some teams might view this as a added advantage if I where in the ana head office I would be pushing to make a move to peak this year and next while the cap teams are feeling the cap crunch

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We're definitely not affected by it that much.

Some teams will be crying though. Ducks, Lightning, Rangers and Hawks in particular.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I personally don't see a spot for him on the team but that is just me.

Basically this flat cap means it's unlikely a team is going to be able to just take on 4M + in cap without sending any money back, if it's 1-2M, it is what it is. I would NOT retain on Bozak.

The other thing too is, who's pick in the 20-28 range is available, has a need for a centre, and would trade for Bozak?
Carolinas 21st maybe?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
well the hawks are screwed.

Yup. Sold the farm for a rental Ladd and are now going to have to replace Shaw with an AHLer. They are pretty much gonna be a 2 line, 2 pairing team at this point. I doubt they'll ever contend for another cup unless they pull a Pens and really catch lightning in a bottle with a ton of ELC callups that play amazing (Rust, Sheary, Kuhnhackl) and reclamation projects (Schultz, Hagelin) to go along with the stars rising up to the occasion (Kessel) and a hot goalie (Murray).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
We're definitely not affected by it that much.

Some teams will be crying though. Ducks, Lightning, Rangers and Hawks in particular.

it really makes you wonder if Lou heard a whistle somewhere. cleared out all that space... now we can be aggressive for some teams and maybe snag a defenseman...

Pens too.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
and if the Dats to KHL rumours are true - that's a lot of dead cap for the Wings that they can't move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad