Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I'm willing to give this 25 games.
It is a tough schedule but this is big boy hockey and they will hopefully figure it out...having said that I had 2 glasses of wine and zonked out before the end of the second it sucks to get old lololol
You are actually waaay ahead of the game. I get zonked by the wafting fumes released after opening the bottle and setting down the cork. :D

Nov 24, 2006
Yikes, I think Bones has his work cut out for him. Dallas is really not that great a team yet from the 10 minute mark of the first period they controlled the game. This team plays soft even though we have some size.
On a side note, I have been a quiet supporter of Stanley but his biggest asset is his size and if he plays soft, then it might be time to move on and see what Samberg has to offer.
Well, they are 3-0 with 13 goals for and 3 against. Maybe a bit early, but I'd say that was a really good team we played last night.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was impressed with Dallas. Lots of good young guys. Lesson to past years jets rotate in more young fast skilled players.

Their young guys are mostly from 2017. Unfortunately we did not draft all that well 17-18 so we don't have that same bump. Our next wave is 19-22 so we are likely a year or two out from getting our next big wave of prospect impact if they develop well.

Reactions: TommyKillian

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Their young guys are mostly from 2017. Unfortunately we did not draft all that well 17-18 so we don't have that same bump. Our next wave is 19-22 so we are likely a year or two out from getting our next big wave of prospect impact if they develop well.
Big "if".

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
I thought that the most disappointing thing about our play overall was that of the special teams, especially the PK. Maybe I simply got my expectations too high far too early this year, but where oh where did the aggressive puck pressure go? We did get into position well enough but there was little to no pressure on the puck carrier anywhere!! And it resulted in constant quality shots against.
They lost almost every defensive zone Face-off so the other team started with the puck. So we’re on their heels most of the time.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Man does this team need a #1 defenseman , one that creates offense and actually has a shot from the point. Not going to win them all but we have a tough schedule coming up, Colorado, Vegas, Toronto on the road and then come home to play St.Louis. Would have been nice to win this one.
Morrissey and De Melo have fared well as a pairing for a couple of years, but this year it's not clicking, and Morrissey looks tentative, maybe the extra pressure. I think this would be a good time to promote Nate Schmidt to the top pairing, move the puck faster. I wonder how much different the game would have been with Rick Bowness behind the bench. Stars look like they could be one of the better Central teams this year. Colorado will be a good test.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Garret, I for one have really appreciated your analysis. I like letting my eye test AND the numbers give me more of a picture of the world as seen by many/numbers rather than just the world as I see it.

The world is not often as I see it, I have found.

Analytics is just information. You can use information to improve your understanding of what you see, or you can use it erroneously and falsely describing what it states.

I think those that use it understand it's limitations, but those that dislike them usually just dislike that they counter what they believe and overexagerate what they state to make a straw man to argue against.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Analytics is just information. You can use information to improve your understanding of what you see, or you can use it erroneously and falsely describing what it states.

I think those that use it understand it's limitations, but those that dislike them usually just dislike that they counter what they believe and overexagerate what they state to make a straw man to argue against.
Some people draw conclusions based on analytics alone, and I think that's what the backlash might be against.

A good MD would use both subjective and objective findings to come to a diagnosis. Same goes for someone assessing a hockey player's performance, IMHO

Reactions: surixon

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm willing to give this 25 games.
It is a tough schedule but this is big boy hockey and they will hopefully figure it out...having said that I had 2 glasses of wine and zonked out before the end of the second it sucks to get old lololol
Yes... you are soooooo old...

Hauling you around a golf course is difficult....

That lift... the constant stops to the outhouse...

The Metamucil sandwiches...

You are soooo old...

:skeptic:

Reactions: kanadalainen

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yes... you are soooooo old...

Hauling you around a golf course is difficult....

That lift... the constant stops to the outhouse...

The Metamucil sandwiches...

You are soooo old...

:skeptic:
Lol the 14 shots on a Par 3
The sharts in the truck

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Lol the 14 shots on a Par 3
The sharts in the truck
Yes you sharted the truck...

The 14 shots on the par 3 had nothing to do with your age...

It's called stubborn and not listening...

As we said, " take the lift to the Drop Area "...

But nooooooooooooo....

So a possible 5 turned in to a 14 you young numbnuts...

:laugh:

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Pionk picked up right where he left off last season with being a trainwreck defensively. I know it's more popular to pick on Stanley around here but at least he's young and doesn't have a terrible contract like Pionk.

I thought the Jets forechecked really aggressively for stretches of the first period. We haven't seen that in 4 years. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Team really did not execute their game. Really poor passing and puck decisions, that all started when they stopped being aggressive and skating. It's going to take a while for them to break their bad habits, they really need their hc right now.

Stan has to come out. He was stumbling and bumbling all over. If you could make an argument for having him in the lineup it would have been against Dallas a they're a big, aggressive team, but he really didn't use his size to his advantage at all.

I agree that they need to rebalance the top 6, swapping perfetti for Connor would be a good start.
Jets need some scoring out of the 2nd and 3rd lines sooner than later….swapping Gagner and Appleton would also be wise.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yes you sharted the truck...

The 14 shots on the par 3 had nothing to do with your age...

It's called stubborn and not listening...

As we said, " take the lift to the Drop Area "...

But nooooooooooooo....

So a possible 5 turned in to a 14 you young numbnuts...

:laugh:
Ken guy

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Some people draw conclusions based on analytics alone, and I think that's what the backlash might be against.

A good MD would use both subjective and objective findings to come to a diagnosis. Same goes for someone assessing a hockey player's performance, IMHO
My main issue with analytics in hockey is that I don't really like the ones that use a humans interpretations of an event or what impact it has. That's not scientific.

The industry I'm in uses data analytics heavily, but we use metrics that are scientifically quantified.

Even in my industry, analytics are used selectively to paint whatever picture we want. To our clients, we obviously want to put our best foot forward, but internally, we use them more critically to analyze the real story.

So, I do understand the difference between interpretation of data vs. quality of data.

To be fair to garret, I'm not intimately aware of all of the various datasets used in these charts and graphs - some are likely much better than others as they likely depend less on someone interpreting an event using thier inherent bias and understanding of what they're measuring.

There are other datasets that are missing a lot of context in them as well. A shot from the slot does not = a shot from the slot. There are far too many variables in hockey for that.

I guess what I'm saying is I am very wary of hockey's advanced stats because I feel like they are still in their infancy, and a lot of work still needs to be done. That's not to say they're all useless, but they are hardly at a place where they would be considered scientifically sound.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I was impressed with Dallas. Lots of good young guys. Lesson to past years jets rotate in more young fast skilled players.
Every team we play seems to have young speed guys who play with heart, we’ve always had the Hurtkins and Tonianat’s who were roster place holders, none of them could score, wernt extra physical and were mostly meh…

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My main issue with analytics in hockey is that I don't really like the ones that use a humans interpretations of an event or what impact it has. That's not scientific.

The industry I'm in uses data analytics heavily, but we use metrics that are scientifically quantified.

Even in my industry, analytics are used selectively to paint whatever picture we want. To our clients, we obviously want to put our best foot forward, but internally, we use them more critically to analyze the real story.

So, I do understand the difference between interpretation of data vs. quality of data.

To be fair to garret, I'm not intimately aware of all of the various datasets used in these charts and graphs - some are likely much better than others as they likely depend less on someone interpreting an event using thier inherent bias and understanding of what they're measuring.

There are other datasets that are missing a lot of context in them as well. A shot from the slot does not = a shot from the slot. There are far too many variables in hockey for that.

I guess what I'm saying is I am very wary of hockey's advanced stats because I feel like they are still in their infancy, and a lot of work still needs to be done. That's not to say they're all useless, but they are hardly at a place where they would be considered scientifically sound.

I agree with this. Not all slot shots are created equally. A weak shot with the goalie set is less valuable then a one timer off a a fast cross ice pass from the top of the circle. It's easier to score if you make the goalie have to move and most public data sets don't account for that. I imagine teams have much more robust data due to the puck and player tracking that went in a few years back.

Reactions: sipowicz and Jet

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm willing to give them once again until Amercian Thanksgiving (Nov 24th). Otherwise, maybe it's time to move some "interchangeable parts"

That's after game 18
Season would be most likely over for us at that point.

Should of made some moves to strengthen the roster before the season and try to prevent this from happening

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Well said

Reactions: Jet

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I think we saw Bownes's system working as intended yesterday. Problem was it was the wrong team showing us it works. This game tape should be the template for what we are trying to achieve, but with the Stars providing the example.

Dallas was relentless with their forechecking and neutral zone pressure. We had players being getting picked pocketed all night long from behind, thinking they had more time entering the offensive zone.

Other side notes:

Ehlers needs to be more direct with his play in the offensive zone. Lots off effort, little results. You are starting to see Scheif and Connor standing still not quite sure what Ehlers end game is.

I would like to see him look for seams to get pucks to the net, when he is cycling around, rather than continually looking for a magical pass or lane to open up to the net.

You see the contrast with our outer perimeter zone play compared to the Stars direct play on the power play. We spent over 2 minutes looking for a magical seam pass while they continually pressured our net with shots and front crease presence.

Samberg in Stanley out next game.

Pionk and Demelo went from our best pairing D to our worst in a single game. Consistency needs to be achieved this year or we are a lottery team.

Demelo did not play great this game again, but unlike last game, Morrissey was not great either.

Third line was good again, liking Barron more and more and Appleton is playing more physical which makes that line heavy and hard to deal with.

Second line needs to improve in both ends.

Bottom 6 was solid again.

I did not think we played an awful game, but we were faced with a gameplan that was executed properly by a team that has been executing it for a couple of seasons now.

If anything, Dallas provided us with confirmation that this system works by how difficult it is to play against it, when done the right way.
Pionk was with Dillon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad