Confirmed with Link: Dallas trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Penguins for Alex Goligoski.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
The first thought is the sadness of losing Neal.. But the thing is that he is only effective when playing alongside quality C, and who plays with James the most time.. Maybe Crosby is closer to that "Richie" mold than Malkin, don't really know.

But HELL YEAH!! Matt Niskanen is no longer a Dallas Star. I was probably the last one besides his parents, who stood by him and forgave him his errors and misplays but in 2011 I've had enough. I mean he's not scored even a bloody goal this season!!

He was supposed to be the next offensive leader when Zubie left. He was the poster boy who got to play alongside #56 and everything was going OK. But something happened when the mentor left him to face the future alone. Even though the quality was still next to him, he couldn't elevate his overall play to the level that everyone of us fans believed he could do. Hopefully in the East he can find some of his confidence back and make himself a career in the NHL, cause right now it doesn't look that bright.

Goligoski?! Tell me everything about him ´cause I only know the stats and the money of the guy.

DelGriffith

Oct 13, 2008
St. Catharines
You guys got seriously ***** in that deal. Goligoski is the best you can do for Neal? Ouch. I don't care how much depth you have at LW. absolute fleeced in that deal

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If you think Neal has the chance to be one of the best players ever developed by this organization, you haven't paid a lot of attention to previous players (Modano, Lehtinen and Hatcher) or current ones (Eriksson and Benn).
I know exactly who this franchise has ****ing developed and I don't say that lightly. We'll see who's right. I know I'll be watching a lot more Pens games.
And I'm with GLU - I think Neal's value has gone down as this year went on because of the continued streakiness.
Great time to trade him, eh?

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Why are you all so relieved to be getting rid of Niskanen? Is he not good defensively? I saw he's taken a sharp drop in points, but wasn't sure about much else

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Like that Niskanen is gone. Like Goligoski the player. Don't mind trading Neal but am pissed that Dallas did not get a pick or prospect back as well.

Goligoski is a step in the right direction but this defense needs more help than just him. Richards better sign a contract before the 28th or my homicide meter is going to go crazy.

ProdigalOne*

The first thought is the sadness of losing Neal.. But the thing is that he is only effective when playing alongside quality C, and who plays with James the most time.. Maybe Crosby is closer to that "Richie" mold than Malkin, don't really know.

But HELL YEAH!! Matt Niskanen is no longer a Dallas Star. I was probably the last one besides his parents, who stood by him and forgave him his errors and misplays but in 2011 I've had enough. I mean he's not scored even a bloody goal this season!!

He was supposed to be the next offensive leader when Zubie left. He was the poster boy who got to play alongside #56 and everything was going OK. But something happened when the mentor left him to face the future alone. Even though the quality was still next to him, he couldn't elevate his overall play to the level that everyone of us fans believed he could do. Hopefully in the East he can find some of his confidence back and make himself a career in the NHL, cause right now it doesn't look that bright.

Goligoski?! Tell me everything about him ´cause I only know the stats and the money of the guy.

Check my post on the last page... Think small, smart good offensive instincts. Decent shot, not particularly a hard shot but seems to get those seeing eye shots quite a bit with some accuracy. Not the best along the boards, but makes good defensive zone reads usually... but again he played against third lines mostly. Someone did an analysis on the pens board saying he was better than Paul Martin... take that for what its worth but this year statistically hes been amazing. However the west is more physical and he seems like a guy that will take some injuries. Oh and hes RFA after his current GREAT contract so hell be in Dallas a while.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Absolutely awful asset management on the Stars' behalf. They had a youngish power forward on a reasonable contract and they deal him for a defenceman who is older and by some accounts is somewhat one-dimensional (and I might add Cam Fowler is a better defenceman now and they could have had him for free).

Add in a former first-round pick in Niskanen (I guess that speaks more to our awful first-round drafting) who was basically a throw-in, when many thought Neal was the better of the two players. :shakehead This looks like a panic move by Nieuwendyk, big time, and Neal did have great chemistry with Richards. I'd bet Richards does walk now.

This deal better not be in isolation.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Why are you all so relieved to be getting rid of Niskanen? Is he not good defensively? I saw he's taken a sharp drop in points, but wasn't sure about much else
Niskanen was the Stars worst defenseman in his own end by far. He was never very good to begin with but was covered for by Zubov, and he has regressed significantly since Zubov's injury and retirement.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Oddly, the keyboard jockeys on the main boards make me want to go to the Ft. Worth zoo and watch bonobos fling feces at one another...

Ostensibly this trade is Neal for Goligoski+. As piqued pointed out, Niskanen has negative value so Pittsburgh did us a favor. Now, because their defense corps is actually quite solid all around Niskanen could maybe possibly somehow look like a legitimate NHL defenseman again. Who knows. What we know about him is that he was never, ever going to become much better than he had proven to be here the last couple of years.

What I have a hard time understanding is how when the general sentiment on the trade boards regarding a Neal/Gogo swap that there was usually some 3rd round pick or decent but not great prospect coming back with Goligoski. The add-in of Niskanen is a boon to the Stars but by the looks of casual fans you'd think we traded Modano in his prime for the equivalent of Sutherby and a 2nd round pick.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Dallas still has a bunch of high potential wingers left in the system.

Scott Glennie
Tomas Vincour
Alex Chiasson
and possibly Curtis Mackenzie.

Losing Neal does not affect them in the long term, but gaining Goligoski has a tremendous impact on the Stars blueline. More mobility and a D-man with a good point shot.

You forgot Reilly Smith, who is better than MacKenzie, but your point is well taken. The Stars are fine and truly were trading from a position of strength.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What the **** were your boys thinkin?

My team is in the Atlantic, so I've seen plenty of Goligoski, and that tin can isn't worth Neal or Niskanin by themselves, let alone both of them together. If I were you, I'd be storming the arena with pitchforks about now. Goligoski sucks.

EDIT- OK maybe Niskanin but definitely not Neal

Last edited:

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
They did what now?! o_O
Fine, Niskanen is essentially dead weight... But really, Neal for Goligoski? I mean sure, he's a good player but... *sigh*
And while we're at it, at the very least I think Niskanen should have warranted a pick if nothing else... As a straight trade Neal for Goligoski it's questionable, but now they're getting an extra on top of that and that ain't right... At the very least, where's my bag of pucks?!

One team was more desperate than the other to make the move. It shows in the deal

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
This is going to end up being one of the worst trades in Stars history.

What that guys? We got another nonphysical defenseman? Oh **** yeah!!

Seriously Neal/Niskanen/ and maybe a pick couldn't land us Bogosian, or maybe ever Orpik and Gogo? This trade make me absolutely sick, every other team known Joe's horrible at this **** and now he's exposed.

Tank please.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Pens seem confused about Niskanen. He SUCKS! HE SUCKS! HE SUCKS! Zubov made him look like a gifted PMD 4 years ago. He's been scratched lord knows how many times this season and got his spot on the team stolen by that bum Woywitka. That alone should tell you what you have in Matt Niskanen.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
This guy better be the second coming of Jesus. I already know he'll be horrible since we have nobody competent for him to play with, but that combined with his intimidating softness makes us look great! **** you Joe, **** you.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Deep breaths, everyone; let's wait until Gogo scores a hattrick into his own net in his debut before we crucify him. :laugh:

Yes, we'll miss Neal, but I still think this deal helps us.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Some Dallas fans just can't see the big picture. It's so sad.

Yes, Dallas overpaid, but at the same time GM Joe managed to rid this team of Niskanen, acquire a young cheap PMD, and cleared 2.5 mil. of salary for next year in order to create leverage for a Brad Richards extension. This just shows Joe overwhelming desire to keep Richards. If Richie bails this summer, then go ahead and cry.

And, Neal is friends with Richards. But, Richards has MUCH more chemistry with Eriksson. Trading Neal won't piss Richards off, especially if he gets Benn on his LW.

CamronGiles*

Its amazing how much the eastern fan bases have no idea how Neal and Niskanen were doing on the stars. Id say its a pretty even trade but a Crosby + Neal could be great for them. You guys got a good pmd and pp qb though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad