Speculation: Dallas Stars - unsung deadline buyer?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Eagerly anticipating Jim Nill putting on his apron ahead of March 8th.

The Dallas Stars are quietly having another strong season, but with a supporting cast spanning multiple generations, this might be Joe Pavelski's last season of 1st-liner effectiveness (though, one should take care with such predictions).

Is Dallas going to be a big buyer at the deadline? Jim Nill had a relatively quiet summer outside of the shrewd Duchene acquisition, which has buoyed their strong forward group against any age-related regression.

They have some compelling minors prospects in Stankoven and Bourque, and their 1st-rounder is available in the next few drafts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Stars push for it; looking at the competion in the west, I don't think anyone would be blown away if they heard the current Stars roster defeated Vancouver, Edmonton, Vegas, or Colorado in a 7-game season, so putting the team into a slightly better position to run the gauntlet might be the optimal course for this season.

That is, so long as they can make the money work.

The Stars don't have anyone on LTIR right now, and they might not have a lot of wiggle room at the deadline - the team will likely be targeting veteran depth players on darling contracts, or with retention such that the player's contract value close to the league minimum.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
They are under-celebrated, imo - that's all I was getting at. They don't get the discussion they are due.
That’s because it’s Dallas, Texas and they don’t have a massive, or loud, fanbase. Most hockey people on here obviously know they are the 2nd favourite (or 1st) with Colorado for the Cup this year.

Reactions: Dallasman and LT

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
They are under-celebrated, imo - that's all I was getting at. They don't get the discussion they are due.
Maybe under-celebrated on HF Boards but I have to believe that most knowledgeable hockey fans would put them top 8 in the league.

They will most definitely be buyers.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ledge And Dairy

I expect they will be the frontrunners for Noah Hanifin if Calgary decides to move him, and then probably add a depth forward too

Any interest in Savard?
Savard is not an upgrade over the current guys they have playing top 4. He is a #5 on any team with cup aspirations. They need a guy who can play 1st pair with Heiskanen

Reactions: roryjones

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
That’s because it’s Dallas, Texas and they don’t have a massive, or loud, fanbase. Most hockey people on here obviously know they are the 2nd favourite (or 1st) with Colorado for the Cup this year.
I don’t think Colorado is a favorite. They have no depth. I can’t see their top few players carrying 4 different series. They couldn’t carry 1 last year against Seattle. Those depth goals are critical.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They desperately need more defense for long Cup run

Suter/Hakanpaa/Lindell trio got exposed pretty bad last year
Yup. Their forwards are great, and they're winning despite Oettinger being fairly underwhelming. I fully expect him to improve come playoff time.

They need another top 4, better yet top pairing, D man badly. I'd like to see them get Chychrun

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What are they buying, or are they buying for the sake of being a buyer?

Maybe a depth dman and that's it for them.

Fulmination

Nov 1, 2019
What are they buying, or are they buying for the sake of being a buyer?

Maybe a depth dman and that's it for them.
They need a #2 or better #3. they have a bunch of 3-6 D men and 2 up and coming D already. Became more obvious when Hiskenen went out for a week+ injured.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
They need a #2 or better #3. they have a bunch of 3-6 D men and 2 up and coming D already. Became more obvious when Hiskenen went out for a week+ injured.
Harley is turning into a very good Dman, and a solid #2. He had a good showing last playoffs, and he has gotten even better as this season went on. He’s played on par with Miro this year.

Getting a #3 / #4 would be more than enough

Reactions: Dallasman

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Eagerly anticipating Jim Nill putting on his apron ahead of March 8th.

The Dallas Stars are quietly having another strong season, but with a supporting cast spanning multiple generations, this might be Joe Pavelski's last season of 1st-liner effectiveness (though, one should take care with such predictions).

Is Dallas going to be a big buyer at the deadline? Jim Nill had a relatively quiet summer outside of the shrewd Duchene acquisition, which has buoyed their strong forward group against any age-related regression.

They have some compelling minors prospects in Stankoven and Bourque, and their 1st-rounder is available in the next few drafts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Stars push for it; looking at the competion in the west, I don't think anyone would be blown away if they heard the current Stars roster defeated Vancouver, Edmonton, Vegas, or Colorado in a 7-game season, so putting the team into a slightly better position to run the gauntlet might be the optimal course for this season.

That is, so long as they can make the money work.

The Stars don't have anyone on LTIR right now, and they might not have a lot of wiggle room at the deadline - the team will likely be targeting veteran depth players on darling contracts, or with retention such that the player's contract value close to the league minimum.
needs?
Vesey? Pitlik? Wheeler?

They need to add another top 4 D
Lindgren?

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Factoring they are tight against thr Cap and Jim Nill would be extremely unlikely to give up Borque or Stankovan. I think it slightly dilutes their ability to buy a premium player but could still be in market for a 2nd pair D man.

Tanev seems a perfect fit as he's a Right side D, good defensively, lowish cap hit and someone that could pair with Heiskanen to get Heiskanen back to his favoured left side (although it currently looks like Dallas wants to see they could have with Harley-Heiskanen as they have lit up the last 2 games as a pair)

Whatever the list of available D men is this year. Think Dallas target one of them.

Reactions: roryjones

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If you’re looking for a shot-blocking, hard-nosed defensive type who can play big minutes, Mario Ferraro could be a great option. He played really well under DeBoer’s system as well.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I expect they will be the frontrunners for Noah Hanifin if Calgary decides to move him, and then probably add a depth forward too

Savard is not an upgrade over the current guys they have playing top 4. He is a #5 on any team with cup aspirations. They need a guy who can play 1st pair with Heiskanen
Savard is definitely a #4-5 on a contender but that’s still very valuable to a team. I remember him playing 14-15 minutes against Montreal in the finals and just killing it. Your depth in the playoff is as important as your top players

Reactions: andora

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
If you’re looking for a shot-blocking, hard-nosed defensive type who can play big minutes, Mario Ferraro could be a great option. He played really well under DeBoer’s system as well.
Not a bad option. I would prefer a right shot but I think this team needs a hard hitting shot blocking defense first type. Heiskanen and Harley can generate enough from the back end. No need to over pay for top pair defenseman. I would not move Stankoven or Bourque at all.

Ledge And Dairy

Savard is definitely a #4-5 on a contender but that’s still very valuable to a team. I remember him playing 14-15 minutes against Montreal in the finals and just killing it. Your depth in the playoff is as important as your top players
Nobody is arguing the importance of depth but Dallas's issue is that Suter is on their top pair. Acquiring Savard just adds a 2nd Hakanpaa to the roster (I'm really not sure if Savard is a clear upgrade on Hakanpaa).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad