Dallas Stars Trade History: Best and Worst Trade of All-Time

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hindsight is the best you can do? We just paid #70 to move up 3 spots in the first round, and you think our worst trade of all time is getting 36 and 54 for 28. What a joke.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hindsight is the best you can do? We just paid #70 to move up 3 spots in the first round, and you think our worst trade of all time is getting 36 and 54 for 28. What a joke.

Maybe Carnac (the mystical soothsayer, not the Mr. misty soothsayer......) could say if this year's pick flop will be a bust, but not the writer. Of course you have to use hindsight. We won't know about our draft picks until about five years out.

Numerically, paying 70 to move up was about right according to historic values. And, we got the best asset in the trade (i.e. the highest pick) In the Perry trade, they got the best asset, even before making a nice pick. Usually, the trade partner getting the best asset wins the trade. Not always, but usually.

Was glad to see Nill be aggressive, and never liked DA trading so many first round picks either for playoff run busts or to collect more assets instead of better ones. That said, I did understand the need to restock the system after trading so many picks for vets at the deadline. But, it seemed like a "stuck in the mud" type strategy at the time.

And, once again, I believe the average fan would call out the Neal trade, and not so much just trading Neal who we couldn't sign, but throwing in a nearly equal quality D man to do it, without getting a second asset back. In that trade, you could argue PIT got the two best assets.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Maybe Carnac (the mystical soothsayer, not the Mr. misty soothsayer......) could say if this year's pick flop will be a bust, but not the writer. Of course you have to use hindsight. We won't know about our draft picks until about five years out.

Numerically, paying 70 to move up was about right according to historic values. And, we got the best asset in the trade (i.e. the highest pick) In the Perry trade, they got the best asset, even before making a nice pick. Usually, the trade partner getting the best asset wins the trade. Not always, but usually.

Was glad to see Nill be aggressive, and never liked DA trading so many first round picks either for playoff run busts or to collect more assets instead of better ones. That said, I did understand the need to restock the system after trading so many picks for vets at the deadline. But, it seemed like a "stuck in the mud" type strategy at the time.

And, once again, I believe the average fan would call out the Neal trade, and not so much just trading Neal who we couldn't sign, but throwing in a nearly equal quality D man to do it, without getting a second asset back. In that trade, you could argue PIT got the two best assets.

I will fight every instance of Neal-Goligoski trade garbage but that is neither here nor there. We didn't trade Corey Perry, we traded a pick. We didn't trade Henry Jokiharju, we traded a pick. Did we get good value to move back? Did we overpay to move up? These are questions you can ask but applying hindsight to this process is intellectually dishonest. We drafted Iginla and traded him. Corey Perry was never a Star. Crombeen and the other guy are draft failures, not trade ones.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
You can't really count traded picks like that in hindsight. The only way you can really rank a trade in that way is if it's a high pick and you know pretty much who you're getting, i.e. this summer we trade #3 away for a veteran defenseman, veteran defenseman tanks or doesn't last much longer, pick #3 (say Heiskanen) turns out to be the next Nicklas Lidstrom. Then you can count it as idiocy.

--------------------------------------------------------

March 19, 2002

To Dallas:
Jason Arnott
Randy McKay
1st

To New Jersey:
Joe Nieuwendyk
Jamie Langenbrunner

------------------------------

A trade that flies under the radar, but to me is maybe the most unfortunate:

March 19, 1994

To Dallas:
Mike Lalor
Doug Zmolek

To San Jose:
Ulf Dahlen
7th

The reason for the trade was captain/defenseman Mark Tinordi breaking his femur running into the end boards in Los Angeles, so Gainey dealt Dahlen at the deadline for defensive help for the playoffs.

We should have rolled into the playoffs with Mark Tinordi and Ulf Dahlen, instead we rolled into them with Mike Lalor and Doug Zmolek.

------------------------------------------

Two great trades that kind of fly under the radar,

March 24, 1998

To Dallas:
Mike Keane
Brian Skrudland
6th

To NY Rangers:
Bob Errey
Todd Harvey
4th

October 2, 1995

To Dallas:
Guy Carbonneau

To St.Louis:
Paul Broten

This is all of course counting since the franchise moved to Dallas.

---------------------------------------------------

Just a few trades prior to that 1993 relocation that would rank among the franchise best,

Boston owns the 1st overall
Minnesota owns the 2nd overall (Via another great trade ahead of time)

Lou Nanne sends Brad Palmer to Boston to ensure the Bruins pick injury prone defenseman Gord Kluzak #1, so winger Brian Bellows would be available at #2.

Palmer plays one season with Boston and is never seen again. Kluzak's NHL career picks up where his junior career left off and he plays just 299 career games. Bellows goes on to score 342 goals over 10 seasons with the Stars, a total that still ranks 2nd on the franchise's all-time list.

October 11, 1988

To Minnesota:
Mark Tinordi
Paul Jerrard
3rd

To NY Rangers:
Brian Lawton
Igor Liba

October 8, 1987

To Minnesota:
Dave Gagner
Jay Caufield

To NY Rangers:
Jari Gronstand
Paul Boutilier

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't agree with methodology like that. Would Stars even have picked Perry? Clearly they didn't value him very highly if they traded the pick away. And in that case, it'd be a draft failure, not a trade one.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
You can't really count traded picks like that in hindsight. The only way you can really rank a trade in that way is if it's a high pick and you know pretty much who you're getting, i.e. this summer we trade #3 away for a veteran defenseman, veteran defenseman tanks or doesn't last much longer, pick #3 (say Heiskanen) turns out to be the next Nicklas Lidstrom. Then you can count it as idiocy.

--------------------------------------------------------

March 19, 2002

To Dallas:
Jason Arnott
Randy McKay
1st

To New Jersey:
Joe Nieuwendyk
Jamie Langenbrunner

------------------------------

A trade that flies under the radar, but to me is maybe the most unfortunate:

March 19, 1994

To Dallas:
Mike Lalor
Doug Zmolek

To San Jose:
Ulf Dahlen
7th

The reason for the trade was captain/defenseman Mark Tinordi breaking his femur running into the end boards in Los Angeles, so Gainey dealt Dahlen at the deadline for defensive help for the playoffs.

We should have rolled into the playoffs with Mark Tinordi and Ulf Dahlen, instead we rolled into them with Mike Lalor and Doug Zmolek.

------------------------------------------

Two great trades that kind of fly under the radar,

March 24, 1998

To Dallas:
Mike Keane
Brian Skrudland
6th

To NY Rangers:
Bob Errey
Todd Harvey
4th

October 2, 1995

To Dallas:
Guy Carbonneau

To St.Louis:
Paul Broten

This is all of course counting since the franchise moved to Dallas.

---------------------------------------------------

Just a few trades prior to that 1993 relocation that would rank among the franchise best,

Boston owns the 1st overall
Minnesota owns the 2nd overall (Via another great trade ahead of time)

Lou Nanne sends Brad Palmer to Boston to ensure the Bruins pick injury prone defenseman Gord Kluzak #1, so winger Brian Bellows would be available at #2.

Palmer plays one season with Boston and is never seen again. Kluzak's NHL career picks up where his junior career left off and he plays just 299 career games. Bellows goes on to score 342 goals over 10 seasons with the Stars, a total that still ranks 2nd on the franchise's all-time list.

October 11, 1988

To Minnesota:
Mark Tinordi
Paul Jerrard
3rd

To NY Rangers:
Brian Lawton
Igor Liba

October 8, 1987

To Minnesota:
Dave Gagner
Jay Caufield

To NY Rangers:
Jari Gronstand
Paul Boutilier

Not that it worked out for us on the ice, but the Neal Broten/Corey Millen trade was a good one in that Broten was not only able to win a cup in New Jersey but was a big reason why they won.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Not that it worked out for us on the ice, but the Neal Broten/Corey Millen trade was a good one in that Broten was not only able to win a cup in New Jersey but was a big reason why they won.

It was nice seeing Neal win a Cup, and he was huge for the Devils. Could have been handed the Conn Smythe and nobody would have batted an eye I don't think. He was that good. The trade worked fantastic for them.

In similar fashion, Brian Bellows went on to win a Cup his 1st season in Montreal.

The trifecta would have been complete had Dino Ciccarelli been there when Detroit finally won it (Though a Capital first). Just missed out. Poor guy.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
tl;dr ... hate these timekill articles anyway.

Best: KHatch for Zubov ... one of the most lopsided deals of the last 25 years
Harvey and ??? for Keane and Skrudland
PBroten for Carbonneau
Loui and stuff for Seguin

Worst: Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner for Arnott
1st for Nagy was bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad